U.K. Women Ashamed of Their Bodies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.K. Women Ashamed of Their Bodies

U.K. Women Are Ashamed Of Their Bodies. They refuse to wear swimwear and resort to airbrushing holiday photos.

Body hang-ups cause women to waste money on bikinis they never use

Last updated at 1:03 PM on 11th August 2009

UK women are wasting an estimated quarter of a billion pounds on swimwear which they never actually use, according to new research.

More than one in 10 (11 per cent) women admit they have been so scared at the prospect of wearing a bikini that they have not gone on holiday at all.

On average, 285 million is spent on new swimsuits every summer, yet 45 per cent are never worn.

The survey, carried out by Tesco, also claims that 28 per cent of women feel that wearing a swimsuit is what they dread most about their holiday.

UK women are wasting an estimated quarter of a billion pounds on swimwear which they never actually use, according to a survey by Tesco.

Catherine Matthews, head of nutrition at www.tescodiets.com, said: "It's a shame that, for so many women, poor body image seems to be getting in the way of enjoying a holiday."

The poll of 3,000 people also revealed that a number of women deploy tactics to avoid exposing their body.

Almost a third (30 per cent) resort to wearing a T-shirt over their swimwear, while 12 per cent avoid the beach or pool altogether.

The survey follows the news that British holidaymakers are 'airbrushing' their snaps in a bid to hide imperfections. High Street chain Snappy Snaps said the number of customers requesting the photographic equivalent of a nip and tuck had risen fivefold

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1205774/Women-waste-money-swimwear-theyre-shy-wear.html#ixzz0OLWHo0Lv

Re: U.K. Women Ashamed of Their Bodies

That's too bad. Why is it that some people, not only women, seem to want to try to reach some "ideal" body image? They must have some problem with accepting who and what they are. I can see trying to maintain a healthy weight to keep heart and diabetic problems at bay but to have problems with what they think is the "perfect" body is where I have the most trouble trying to comprehend.

Yup, the power of advertising seems to have reached fruition. People trying to keep their "youthful" appearance, people trying to reach the "perfect" body image, and all the rest. Why can't they just accept themselves as they are?

Comment

I can't help wondering if the UK's obesity epidemic (which nearly rivals ours) has a lot to do with it; as opposed to a "return to social conservatism" which Stu so resoundingly defends. In other words it's not that British women inherently don't want to show skin; but rather they feel that they don't look "good enough" to do so.

Comment

Unfortunately, too many U.S. men don't care what they look like either. During a recent beach trip, I saw a lot of men with pot bellies. They did not look ashamed or embrarrassed that they let themselves go. Maybe our healthcare system would be in better shape if we cared more and took better care of ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Kouak View Post
          Unfortunately, too many U.S. men don't care what they look like either. During a recent beach trip, I saw a lot of men with pot bellies. They did not look ashamed or embrarrassed that they let themselves go. Maybe our healthcare system would be in better shape if we cared more and took better care of ourselves.
          Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I hope I am, but you seem to be advocating that people who don't look perfect should not be wearing swimsuits or going to the beach...

This story was about how UK women are unable to enjoy themselves simply because they don't think they look good enough to wear a swimsuit. They're so focused on how they don't match some "ideal" body image, that they're afraid of showing themselves in any sort of swimwear at a beach or pool. It's just absolutely ridiculous!

Then you come out and imply that you think men should be doing the same? Not only did you completely miss the point of the story, but you are actually adding to the problem by turning it around on men who have historically not joined in the body-image hysteria. At least, not until recently...

Comment

Right now I wouldn't be caught in my bikini........too many extra pounds on this body for that article of clothing.

BUT, I still continue to go naked at c/o beaches and resorts.

When I am nude, I'm in the moment and enjoying life....not worrying about trying to put on clothes to impress anyone. It's about being, not being seen.

Should I drop some weight: YES! Will I: I hope so! Am I going to stop being a nudist because of my weight: NEVER!!!

Comment

DenitalC;

I think when a person is totally nude, the extra weight is more naturally rounded out.

When a male or female is in a swimsuit, waist bands call attention to pounds flopping over it.

Perhaps nude is slimming.

Comment

Originally posted by walter05 View Post
                DenitalC;

I think when a person is totally nude, the extra weight is more naturally rounded out.

When a male or female is in a swimsuit, waist bands call attention to pounds flopping over it.

Perhaps nude is slimming.
                Well Walter, I don't know if nude is more slimming BUT it certainly looks better than rolls hanging over bits of cloth! Plus it's definately more confident!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Drakkus View Post
                  Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I hope I am, but you seem to be advocating that people who don't look perfect should not be wearing swimsuits or going to the beach...

This story was about how UK women are unable to enjoy themselves simply because they don't think they look good enough to wear a swimsuit. They're so focused on how they don't match some "ideal" body image, that they're afraid of showing themselves in any sort of swimwear at a beach or pool. It's just absolutely ridiculous!

Then you come out and imply that you think men should be doing the same? Not only did you completely miss the point of the story, but you are actually adding to the problem by turning it around on men who have historically not joined in the body-image hysteria. At least, not until recently...
                  Yes you are wrongly interpreting my comment. I am not advocating to look like a runway model. Most of them are too skinny to me.

My comment was 2-fold. The first is that guys tend not to care about how they look as much as gals, IMO. They are more relaxed about a few extra pounds. I hope women can get to this lower stress level too.

The second (and main) point I was trying to make is, even though a few extra pounds won't kill you, there is a point when over eating and lack of exercise is unhealthy. I frequently hear people who are complaining that they are "getting old" and getting new aches and pains. Yet they have no clue that the extra 100 pounds they are carrying around are hurting their knees and causing their pain. I hope you are not implying that we should be happy that they accept their body image.

A couple of extra pounds is one thing. 50 or more is quite another. It does CAUSE joint pains, atherosclerosis, heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, back aches, etc. Yes these things would still happen even if we were all fit. It just would not be an epidemic.

I for one am "looking at the man in the mirror." I'd feel hypocritical counciling someone if I was not walking the talk. I still have a few more pounds to go but I am trying. I have put on 10 inches around my belly over the last 30 years. To me while I do not consider me to be ugly, by no means does my gut look good by any definition. It is not a natural "getting older" phenomenon. It is the direct result of my love for snacking and for a long time my love of sitting on my butt.

Now that I have been working out, I have strength back in my legs. My hypotension is gone. I actually have biceps! Now this makes me happy. I feel more confident. I have caught myself strutting sometimes. I have rolled back years of "getting older." Can't wait to roll back a few more. I like the fact that I can pick up my nephews and toss them in the air. A feat I probably could not do anymore if I did not work out.

There are some things about aging that you can do little about. We WILL get wrinkles and lose hair. Actually, the hair just comes out of other places! (The old farts here will understand my last comment.) I do believe that we should accept and love these changes as part of "getting older." We should just not deny the fact that our daily Big Macs had anything to do with our heart attack and say there was nothing we could have done about it.

We should never hate ourselves. However, we can desire to become more fit so we can enjoy life more.

Comment

It seems women all around the world don't like something about themselves.

Sorry to say. :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by DenitaLC View Post
                      Well Walter, I don't know if nude is more slimming BUT it certainly looks better than rolls hanging over bits of cloth! Plus it's definately more confident!
                      I totally agree. I actually feel I look "better" nude than when I am wearing a bikini. Good thing I don't wear one that often

Comment

Sadly the results do not surprise me, and the trend towards even more excessive make up and certain fashions seems to confirm this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kouak View Post

My comment was 2-fold. The first is that guys tend not to care about how they look as much as gals, IMO. They are more relaxed about a few extra pounds. I hope women can get to this lower stress level too.

...We should never hate ourselves. However, we can desire to become more fit so we can enjoy life more.
                          Many guys I know don't care a bit about how they look but they care very much about how 'hot' the girl they are with looks. Or, worse, they rank them using the old '10' system or use disparaging terms to refer to them. Until men (and other women) stop ranking women on their looks there is no way that women can be expected to get to this blissful 'lower stress level'. I think the pressure our society puts on young women (and it is slowly seeping into young men as well) to reach some sort of physical ideal - or crawl under a rock - is incredible.

On the other hand, I completely agree with your second comment I have quoted.

Comment

It is none of my business or your business what anyone else looks like.

Period.

If you or I or they are comfortable in their skin, great!

If you or I or they are NOT comfortable with how we look, but we can put those cares aside and enjoy whatever we are doing ... great!

Call off your judgments of other people's appearance. YOU don't know why they are fat, or disfigured or too skinny. And even if you are the rare genius who does know everyone else's exact faults and circumstances, that still doesn't give you any right to be judgmental. Just be happy for them if it doesn't stop them from going to the beach, or nudist resort, or hiking trail, or even the lounger by the pool.

Instead of thinking (or heaven forbid saying) "how could they let themselves go like that" you should be thinking "how brave of them to not let it stop them from being here and enjoying life as well as they can!"

Not letting body shame stop you is a necessary step to improving health and fitness.

Everyone should want to be as fit and healthy as they can. But shame is the absolute best way to keep that from happening. Don't let shame stop you, and don't ever, ever , ever, let yourself even consider heaping shame on anyone else - even in your own mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Naturist Mark View Post
                              It is none of my business or your business what anyone else looks like.

Period.

If you or I or they are comfortable in their skin, great!

If you or I or they are NOT comfortable with how we look, but we can put those cares aside and enjoy whatever we are doing ... great!

Call off your judgments of other people's appearance. YOU don't know why they are fat, or disfigured or too skinny. And even if you are the rare genius who does know everyone else's exact faults and circumstances, that still doesn't give you any right to be judgmental. Just be happy for them if it doesn't stop them from going to the beach, or nudist resort, or hiking trail, or even the lounger by the pool.

Instead of thinking (or heaven forbid saying) "how could they let themselves go like that" you should be thinking "how brave of them to not let it stop them from being here and enjoying life as well as they can!"

Not letting body shame stop you is a necessary step to improving health and fitness.

Everyone should want to be as fit and healthy as they can. But shame is the absolute best way to keep that from happening. Don't let shame stop you, and don't ever, ever , ever, let yourself even consider heaping shame on anyone else - even in your own mind.

Well said, Mark! I have read many posts on this forum which do the very thing you are saying. We all make too many judgments against another. I am guilty of such also but when it comes to what someone looks like, I have learned and am thankful I have, not to judge the person by his appearance regardless of what it is.

Ditto to Mark's post!!

Comment

Working...
                              X