Being an older naturist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Being an older naturist

Better said then me, K1396. There is a certain maturity that is to be relished.

Comment

I've just turned 69 and do not feel any different to when I was 50. Though I don't take exercise seriously I do watch my diet in an attempt to keep my body trim. Sadly my wife has decided that beach related holidays were no longer for us so nudist options are much more limited. Having said that when we did holiday in beach areas when never spent much time on the beach but when the beach was CO we always went nude. I have noticed that on many beaches there are often more older naturists than younger ones. This may be that as their families have grown up they have the freedom to do as they want without teenager disapproval. Now my biggest regret is that I didn't start nudism until I was in my late 40's and realise just how enjoyment I missed.

I still sleep nude all year round and cannot imagine sleeping any other way. In situations where nudity is an option I ALWAYS GO NUDE and again cannot foresee a time when my attitude would change. You can take care of your body to delay many of the ravages of time; I can understand why people who have let themselves go are less likely to be nudists.
      Last edited by freecospirit; 07-14-2013, 12:08 AM. Reason: typing errors

Comment

Originally posted by nudeM View Post
        Only 53 here, not quite an 'older' naturist (in my mind), but love the nudist lifestyle nonetheless. Only wish I could have been able to enjoy the life sooner. Only been a nudist for the past 10 years, going strong and loving it.
        Update: 56 years old now since the last post and still enjoying the nude life. Sundays are my "naked days" (everyone gone for the day), and with the very hot temps we've been having, no clothes today, unless someone unexpected shows up. Will definitely live in the pool.

Comment

We nudists are a non conforming group. Let us, with the grace that the Lord gives, continue doing the work that He has for us as we have been doing. Let us continue to be nonconformists and not succumb to any "old age" status to which the world and our present society would assign us.

Comment

Saw two(2) couples yesterday while free hiking, both appeared to be in their late sixties(60's). Both gentlemen were nude, and their female companions were in shorts and t's.
            Why are men so easily accepting of nudity?

Comment

Originally posted by Naturist Zoar View Post
              Saw two(2) couples yesterday while free hiking, both appeared to be in their late sixties(60's). Both gentlemen were nude, and their female companions were in shorts and t's.
              Why are men so easily accepting of nudity?
              Ask the guys whose wives won't go into a nudist / nude social-recreational environment. Better yet, ask the WIVES.

In a nutshell -- I've come to determine three reasons why -

1) Body self-image ("I couldn't fit in, I have these flaws")
              2) Raised with an attitude that mixed-sex nudity is an intimacy only to be shared with one's spouse or life partner
              3) The motivation of the husband/boyfriend who tries to get his wife/girlfriend involved

As far as single women - there's a vulnerability issue. Add to that - what happens to a single gal who goes to a nudist beach on her own. Ever hear the song "Fins" by Jimmy Buffett?

They get rushed. Often by men who don't realize they're being too intrusive. I could go into a further treatise on that, but I won't.

And in a nutshell --

AANR and its predecessor groups - ASA, NNC, and its current day have attempted to figure this out for 80 years -- how to make nudism and nude recreation more attractive to women.

After 30+ years' participation in nude recreation and social life, I've given up trying to figure it out.

I have learned to accept that there are reasons for people being as they are.

I have learned to accept that social nudism and nude recreation aren't for everyone.

I have learned to accept that there is diversity in nudist groups and clubs -- some are geared toward couples, some are open, some are conservative, some are not-so-conservative, some are all-male, some are all-female. I have learned to accept a "live and let live" philosophy.

I have learned to accept that my making suggestions as to how to convert a reluctant wife or girlfriend to nudism are largely fruitless. If a husband or boyfriend can't do it, how the hell can I and/or my wife do it?

.. and

I have learned to accept that it's not my responsibility, as a social nudist, to sell the concept of social and recreational nudism to (everyone's) reluctant spouses or girlfriends.

Comment

I think the thing I learned about Nudism is how to place a value on the experience. Nudism is only fun if fun activities are available and accessible. Many people have written about younger crowds not having disposable income to spend on established Nudism, mainly due to the costs of starting a home, beginning to repay for education or raising a new family. At the opposite end of the scale are a significant number of older Nudists who although they may have had successful careers and have some money in reserve, now see their children being unemployed or in financial "tight times" and also have the responsibility of predicting how long their savings will last. To me this seems to make a Bell Curve of likelihood that someone is going to be willing to PAY to participate, with some sort of higher percentage chance in the "middle years".

My point to this posting is nobody needs to pay to experience the simple joy of Home Nudity, or the enjoyment of sharing an interest in it online these days, but the attracting factors of socializing and enjoying body freedom still cost something in many ways. Even a drive to the nearest National Forest or remote and hardly used nature area costs something. Recreational necessities such as fuel, room, food, admittance fees, bug repellent, extra sunscreen, etc. still add up and represent "unnecessary" expenses - it is simply not a conveniently affordable as a trip around the corner to the local convenient store.

I do not think it is about anyone with knowledge of being socially nude not wanting the try it, but it is about the incidental expenses. The best, least expensive options are local, community-based, non-landed groups, and hopefully more of them are forming each month. I feel these are essential to the future growth of social Nudism because they deliver the knowledge, build on the experience and maintain costs at lower levels; not to mention the capability of forming them anywhere - except the state that prohibits advertising events with nudity.

As long as we keep blogging, keep Insta-(whatever) photo sharing, and try to keep the "Body of Knowledge" on Body Freedom growing, then the numbers of experienced individuals will continue growing. Impart the joy. Erase the shame!
                Last edited by Centauri4; 07-28-2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Centarui4,

Excellent points.

There's certainly truth in the pay-for-nudism situation you describe - value on the experience.

First of all - younger vs. older. It's not a matter of not having the money, for the most part, I think.

It's a matter of deciding WHERE to spend the money, If a twenty-something is working (many are), and balks at paying $15-25 for a daily grounds fee, but is perfectly willing to spend $100 on a ticket to an NBA game, or carries a $300 iPhone with a $100 bill for texts/etc., then he/she has prioritized spending.

Older people might rather go out to enjoy nudism for a day or weekend at "the camp". And they do have more discretionary income -- even if it's a FIXED income, they have more control over where to spend it, where to live, and also control over their own time if they're retired or semi-retired.

I can also tell you this - that a lot of non-landed groups are having trouble, because they can't find people - older or younger - to assist in the operation of the group.

There is also an attitude among younger people - the old "why don't THEY" do something about things? I talked often about the Eastern Naturist Gathering in here. People would say "uh, there's nothing of interest for younger people. No power frisbee. No (this, that, or the other thing). I'm not going."

Conversely, when I replied = "If you commit to conducting an event, TNS will add it to the Gathering agenda." Reply = "OH I CAN'T DO THAT!"

Last but not least - our national organization - AANR -- has not done a great job of marketing to young adults. First of all, no one has ever managed to resolve the gender imbalance issue -- and I suspect young adult men (hetero men) don't want to go to a place where they outnumber the ladies their age by 5-1, 6-1, 10-1, etc.

And (another thread topic, perhaps) -- I've been following the discussion on another board regarding AANR -- they did adapt to allow online purchase of memberships back in the mid-90s, which was a GOOD thing, and then effectively disenfranchised those members by coming out with a directorship/trusteeship system that virtually guaranteed that large clubs would retain control and policy shaping over the organization.

If a species does not evolve with its changing environment, it will go extinct.
                  The same is true with organizations. When you "freeze" the situation where the organization CAN'T change, it's only a matter of time before it faces extinction.

Comment

at 60 i feel no different as far as desire to be nude. sure my body is showing signs of life and i do't have some of the concerns young men have. that makes it more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by nudenwv View Post
                      at 60 i feel no different as far as desire to be nude. sure my body is showing signs of life and i do't have some of the concerns young men have. that makes it more enjoyable.
                      At 60 you are more comfortable with yourself than you might have been at 25 or 30. At least, that's my line of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by freecospirit View Post
                        I still sleep nude all year round and cannot imagine sleeping any other way. In situations where nudity is an option I ALWAYS GO NUDE and again cannot foresee a time when my attitude would change. .
                        I totally agree with the above. I think it is a time in our life when we are past the urgent need to be nude ALL the time and try to encourage everyone else into nudity. I just take it as it comes - if I can be nude I am. I dont have the pressure of trying to find places to be nude on holidays, if i come across an isolated lake or beach, I know I can just take my clothes off and jump in if I want to. I guess I have just stopped stretching the boundaries - perhaps that is sad but that's the way it is for me.

Comment

I'm 61 and still fit, says my wife. I began working in the nude, when allowed, for many of my customers (I'm a house painter) for some 30 years now; my age then and my age now seems be of no concern to my customers. They allow me to work in the nude because they know I am a nudist and they are nice and accommodating people -- not because they get a perverse kick out of seeing a nude man working about their house. Similarly, nudists like to congregate with other nudists for the companionship of like minds, not because of a perverse desire to see naked people. That's not to say that we don't all enjoy aesthetics, but nudists go to nude venues to enjoy being naked, not merely to see beautiful naked bodies; consequently, age is no problem.

Comment

Missing the mark, I would think a true naturist could care less how the body looks, it just is. Identification with the body is not who we really are contrary to popular belief. Lets not make this a contest, even though that's what many do.

Comment

Working...
                            X