My 2 cents on nudism and sexuality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2 cents on nudism and sexuality

For most of us on here, we started out our nudist life styles later in life. I believe that is why most of us relate nudism with sex. Because for most of us one was hand in hand with the other. Now that we have ventured into the nudist life we find it hard to separate them. But I believe that the longer we are nudist the more we can separate them. So the more we can bring our kids into the life style the better the nudist movement wil be. So the younger we can start them the less they will relate one with the other. And thats why I don't really have issues with others asking sexual type questions. Until they have been nudist for some time, the easier it will be for them to separate the two. And at that time it will become so natural for them, they want even think about it. So lets keep in mind that sexual questions will be asked and we should give them some slack.

Re: My 2 cents on nudism and sexuality

I was thinking about this recently too. I, too, find it hard to fully separate nudism and sex. I separate them mostly but always wonder if there is any subconscious ulterior motive.

I began trying to think of my motives when I was younger before sex and before puberty. I honestly cannot remember sex entering my thoughts. At that time of my life, what I experienced was just considered natural. For example, stripping to take a shower was not getting nude. It was just what you did. No explanation, you just did it. Another example in my life was we stripped where the hamper was (next to the washing machine) and walked through the living room to the bathroom. We did not "strut" or "prance" to the bathroom, just walked. We did not question why; we just did it. Brothers and sisters took baths together. No questions on this either, just did.

Then puberty hit, and my parents stopped all of this. Not overtly, but it stopped. Girls began to get boobs. Boys began to wonder what these "boobs" looked like since they were always covered. I know at this point in my life, had a seen a naked girl, I definitely would not be just thinking she was nude. I would have been looking at her boobs. Yes, it was getting sexual thoughts.

I wonder, if I had seen naked girls from my youth through womanhood, whether my sexual thoughts would not have materialized since the body, in all of its stages of development, was not taboo. I wonder if I would not have questioned it, because "it just was."

Comment

Originally posted by Kouak View Post
      I was thinking about this recently too. I, too, find it hard to fully separate nudism and sex. I separate them mostly but always wonder if there is any subconscious ulterior motive.
      I appreciate reading such a frank account. So maybe nudity and sex are not so distinct, after all - and so it is impossible to be certain that any nudity, even in the context of what we may think of as responsible nudism, is strictly non-sexual.

If nudists are finally accepting that there might be a sexual element in their motivations, no matter how slight, then they can surely appreciate why we non-nudists are very keen to segregate nudism into defined areas.

Stu

Comment

I am not really sure what your 2 cents is saying.if you are saying its ok to openly discuss sex,an asking each other about our personnel twists an turns then i donot agree with you.this website is still here after many years of serving the naturists community,it has avoided getting involved in promoting swinging or same sex life styles.thease are real life issues an approiate websites are out there to service the sexual desires of those so inclined. Now in reguards to sex education the www is completely full of askme,tellme tellall. This site has a private message system where you can send someone a question ,asking there opinion or a how to question. I see you are new to the forum with only one post ,welcome from my experience here,a sexual thread or post will not last very long. Nakenone

Comment

wow nakenone you missed the boat entirely. My point was it is normal for people to ask those kind of questions, until they have been a nudist for a while. And as nudist we should be understanding of the new nudist and there questions. If we can't embrace those that want to try the life style, then how are going to build on the life style. So I am just saying be tolerant.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu2630 View Post
            I appreciate reading such a frank account. So maybe nudity and sex are not so distinct, after all - and so it is impossible to be certain that any nudity, even in the context of what we may think of as responsible nudism, is strictly non-sexual.

If nudists are finally accepting that there might be a sexual element in their motivations, no matter how slight, then they can surely appreciate why we non-nudists are very keen to segregate nudism into defined areas.
            *Twisting Words* Of course it is impossible to be certain, but that does not mean it always happens. IF YOU READ my entire post, you would have seen that the reason was most likely due to the inane taboo of hiding the nude body. I mused that if I had seen naked bodies all of the time, especially when I was younger, I would not have been so focused on the developed female breast when puberty hit.

In other words, it is all your fault for messing up my youth because you are unable to cope with seeing nude bodies!

Comment

I wonder, if I had seen naked girls from my youth through womanhood, whether my sexual thoughts would not have materialized since the body, in all of its stages of development, was not taboo. I wonder if I would not have questioned it, because "it just was."
              That's a question that has long given me food for thought. I've often used "naked tribes" as a contrasting point between our culture and a truly "nude" culture.

The Kalapalo or the Yawalapiti tribes of the Amazon:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Kalapalo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	485855Click image for larger version

Name:	Xingu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	485854

Imagine for a minute that you grew up Yawalapiti or Kalapalo. You spent your entire childhood completely nude; and wore just a sash as an adult. You've seen your Mom, your sisters and the tribe women nude most of the time your entire life. The first time you met your spouse she was nude, you were both nude throughout the courtship, got married nude and had children...nude.

How different would your concept of sexuality be from what it is now?
              In a world without beauty pageants, without fashion models...without clothes?

I think many nudists try to emulate the "being" of the naked tribes. But most often than not, I think it is a delusion. Maybe with time we can get a glimpse of it; but years and years of prudishness and consumerism cannot be easily erased or reversed. I think many of us still struggle, whether admitedly or subconsciously, with nudity and our sexual reaction towards it.

A very unpopular viewpoint, I know, in the age of "nudism is not about sex."

Comment

Ok,there seems to be some misunderstanding ,so i will write from my own experience. As a young high school kid i was reved up on natural sex drive,,much of tv advertising now says if you get one that last more the 4 hours see a doctor,mine were 8 hours an never killed me. I was not driven by nudist,did not know what that was, i was not turned on by the other naked boys in jym class. Playboy magazine was conservative. I had naturists feeling as a young kid, so down the road in life being a naturists an seeing nude men an women an enjoying nude activities ,did not suddenly turn me into a meat beast. My sex drive is still driven naturally,but has slowed some as i am over 60. Naturist do not hide there sex drive but in respect of others aggressive conduct is froned upon. So i believe nude beaches should be all nude,an that public areas set aside for clothes free recreation should be totally clothes free,cutting out ===deviates,an textiles etc that mighy be offended. Besides the naked ones all have a better time if everybody is naked,==were not hideing sex its natural clothes or not . Naken one

Comment

the reason was most likely due to the inane taboo of hiding the nude body. I mused that if I had seen naked bodies all of the time, especially when I was younger, I would not have been so focused on the developed female breast when puberty hit.

In other words, it is all your fault for messing up my youth because you are unable to cope with seeing nude bodies!
                  Was your youth REALLY messed up? I seriously doubt that it was.

Certainly I can appreciate the phenomenon of unsatisfied curiosity, but we get that anyway, whether it is nudity or the sex act, but most of us manage to get through that OK, whether or not this curiosity is ultimately satisfied.

I don't agree that there is any such thing as "the inane taboo of hiding the nude body". There are just circumstances when it is appropriate to be naked within sight of others and circumstances when it is not - an arrangement I admit that I like.

Stu

Comment

I somehow managed to differentiate between what was a nude sexual situation and what was a nude non-sexual situation as a young man. I discovered in pre or early puberty that it just felt great to be nude. Later as a late teen or early 20's I discovered there were actually places where people went to enjoy being nude. I went to one and discovered I could be in nude mixed company and not be sexually turned on. However, get me into a romantic situation and get me nude with a nude lady and it was a whole different story. I think mental set and the setting one is in plays the major role in this issue.

Comment

I have often wondered how things would be different without the pavlovian conditioning of equating nudity with sex.

Comment

Stu said -

Certainly I can appreciate the phenomenon of unsatisfied curiosity, but we get that anyway, whether it is nudity or the sex act, but most of us manage to get through that OK, whether or not this curiosity is ultimately satisfied.
                        Youngsters - like my daughter - who have grown up in nudist homes, be it that the families engaged in nude recreation, or adopt nudism as a mode of living, do not have the curiosity factor as far as seeing naked people.

Then dakref said - interestingly - and astutely -

I somehow managed to differentiate between what was a nude sexual situation and what was a nude non-sexual situation as a young man. I discovered in pre or early puberty that it just felt great to be nude. Later as a late teen or early 20's I discovered there were actually places where people went to enjoy being nude. I went to one and discovered I could be in nude mixed company and not be sexually turned on. However, get me into a romantic situation and get me nude with a nude lady and it was a whole different story. I think mental set and the setting one is in plays the major role in this issue.
                        There is no doubt that those who grew up in nudism, are conditioned to not automatically get aroused at the sight of a naked person of the opposite sex in every single situation.

What would be MOST difficult is if a 13-17 year old took the plunge for the first time, it would be difficult to get used to that right off the bat. In fact, I recall when my wife injured her shoulder, and I had to take her to the hospital on the last night at the Eastern Gathering at Eastover Resort (2009) - in the hospital, one of the nurses whispered in mrslurk's ear - "Hey honey, I go to Berkshire Vista!" and then another one said her son worked at Eastover. When I said "we'll look him up" she replied that she would not grant him - 16 years old - permission to work there that week (under 18s needed parental consent to work the Gathering).

And in spite of a lot of teenage boys fantasizing how great it must be to go to a nudist park or beach - for those who grew up in it, it's no big deal.
                        For those who first try it as adults, it's also no big deal.

Comment

wow I don't really undertsand some of these responses. I'm 51 now, been a nudist for about 12 years. I can remember back to my late teens and early 20 to my 30's. when I saw a naked woman it ment sex. I had never heard of a nudist resort or a nudist club, or even nudists. So when I started my nudist adventure I had the same questions. Only with time did I understand that this life style was just a natural thing and the freedom that came with it. So when I here someone belittle someone because they ask a question about erections, shaving, penis size, etc. I wonder if they really want this life style to grow or that it's just for the few people that have been nudist for many years. and no new people aloud. My suggestion is to be open to those that want to explore this life style and hope they stay. Or when we go to a nudist resort in the future it will look like an old folks home instead.

Comment

Originally posted by travelguy View Post
                            wow I don't really undertsand some of these responses. I'm 51 now, been a nudist for about 12 years. I can remember back to my late teens and early 20 to my 30's. when I saw a naked woman it ment sex. I had never heard of a nudist resort or a nudist club, or even nudists. So when I started my nudist adventure I had the same questions. Only with time did I understand that this life style was just a natural thing and the freedom that came with it. So when I here someone belittle someone because they ask a question about erections, shaving, penis size, etc. I wonder if they really want this life style to grow or that it's just for the few people that have been nudist for many years. and no new people aloud. My suggestion is to be open to those that want to explore this life style and hope they stay. Or when we go to a nudist resort in the future it will look like an old folks home instead.
                            The first time I visited a nudist park was when I was 15 - my father had a store that sold TVs and he sent me to Cedar Waters with the installer to deliver a TV set. The woman who was getting the set opened the door , nude - closed it, put her robe on and we did what we had to do.

When I was a young adult, I engaged in skinny dipping with my wife and others in the backyard pool; I went to a nude beach once, and at age 27 we visited a nudist park together (with our infant daughter) for the first time. It was as I was told; it was not "exciting" in a sexual sense.

Although nudism attracted a lot of younger people then - it doesn't now. It is like an old folks home to a great degree. EXCEPT - people in their 60s and 70s don't necessarily act like the way they did 25 years ago.

As far as the questions - erections, shaving, size, and so forth -- those of us who are in nudism don't ask those questions, we already know the answers.

We do NOT have the answers as to a) how to make nudism more attractive to women and b) what formula can be used to attract younger people (20s-30s-40s).

No one seems to have the answer to a), and people have fuzzy answers to b).

This begs two new topics --

Comment

I wish i had been exposed to the nudist life style much earlier in life. My family was very conservative. It was much latier in life is when i found the life style. It was after my daughter was grown. So i had to go it alone, and i had all those question, while not all those questions. Some are a little stupid. My point is that to grown the nudist life sytle we all should be more understanding of the new people that want to visit it. As a member of AANR and CFI I want to do what ican to show everyone all the benefits there is to the nudist life style.

Comment

Working...
                              X