Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic "Sailor Jerry" Tattoos

Originally posted by Joontiki View Post
    Being a person who actually likes male piercings and has multiple piercings herself... and who plans to get a classic "Sailor Jerry" tattoo as soon as she can afford it... *clip* (taken from the 'Male Genital Jewelry (Rings)' thread)
    Originally posted by brazhunter View Post
    What's a Sailor Jerry tattoo? I'm getting visions of a classic topless hula girl dancing under a palm tree like you'd see on the arm of an old sailor, LOL!
    LOL. You've GOT it! Exactly! I would like a classic topless hula girl dancing under a palm tree! :-D But i'd like mine to be on my back, not my arm!

I didn't want to hijack the 'Male Genital Jewelry (Rings)' thread with Sailor Jerry, so i made another one here. :-)

Norman "Sailor Jerry" Collins. 1911 - 1973. "He's the man many see as the father of the deftly crafted, boldly lined, balls-forward Old School Tattoo."
    He's very 'Google-able' btw, if you want more info & pics.
    His tattoos are the ultimate classic tattoo, in my opinion, which is why i want to get one. Can you tell that i'm 'big' into tacky retro kitsch? Hehe.

A few of my favourite examples, and the ones that i plan to use (re-designing a bit, mix & match, etc) for my own tattoo are:

My 17 year old daughter has also designed a very classic SailorJerry-esque looking tattoo - a swallow carrying half a locket - for the both of us to get. Hers with my initial in the locket, and mine with her initial. Isn't that a sweet sentiment? Her version of a MOM tattoo, i guess. :-D She has already gotten a tattoo (on her upper back below her neck) for her 16th birthday, and plans to get more. This Swallow tattoo is going to be her next one, i think - large & down her side, from breast to hip. I think my version will be in the same place, but a little smaller! :-)

Although, now that i think about it, i think she should wait to get that in a few years, once she's grown completely. I would think that part of her body could stretch out the tattoo if she got it now...

Well then you have to do it in true sailor fashion - put it somewhere so when you flex a muscle the hula girl dances!

Comment

Originally posted by brazhunter View Post
      Well then you have to do it in true sailor fashion - put it somewhere so when you flex a muscle the hula girl dances!
      LOL. I would have to have a muscle to flex to do that! But if i did... sounds like a plan!

Comment

I wish I had kept a pic I was forwarded but I didn't. It had a guy getting some kind of a hula girl tattoo like is being talked about here. Then he had something inplanted under his skin so that that his tats "breasts" stood out, raised up from his arm or leg or wherever he had the tat at. Personally I think taking it that far is kind of out there but diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess.

Comment

Little balls embedded under the skin

Originally posted by jon71 View Post
          I wish I had kept a pic I was forwarded but I didn't. It had a guy getting some kind of a hula girl tattoo like is being talked about here. Then he had something inplanted under his skin so that that his tats "breasts" stood out, raised up from his arm or leg or wherever he had the tat at. Personally I think taking it that far is kind of out there but diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess.
          Hehe. Yes, to each his own. Very inventive though, i must say! :-)

I have seen that sort of adornment before though. Actually it can look really cool, in my opinion. They have little balls of various sizes embedded under the skin, in a design. I have seen some go overboard (such as all over their faces), but again, if it's what they like, then i say go for it!

If i was to take that embedded ball breasts route (which, btw, i wouldn't), i would want for my hula girl's breasts to be realistically sized, not some little bumps! Can you imagine large balls sticking out, catching on everything?

Comment

O.k. I found the pics again. I've never tried to upload so let's see if this works right.
            Attached Files

Comment

O.k. it worked. That's a lot farther than I'd ever go but to each their own.

Comment

Joontiki, that looks really cool. It takes a special type of woman to get a half-naked woman tattooed onto her body. Many would worry about what others might think of such thing. I like it; rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

We have a bottle of Sailor Jerry Rum and it came with a deck of playing cards all with his artwork on each card. Rum is ok, not quite Pussers though.

Comment

Originally posted by jon71 View Post
                    O.k. I found the pics again. I've never tried to upload so let's see if this works right.
                    Jon! That's not at all what i was picturing! This actually looks realistic! Wow! I was picturing tiny little ball bearings, like i've seen before. What you've posted is actually what i was talking about for myself if i was so inclined (which i'm not)! I think it's a very interesting concept! Definitely daring! :-D Thanks for finding the pics!

Originally posted by Fitz1980 View Post
                    Joontiki, that looks really cool. It takes a special type of woman to get a half-naked woman tattooed onto her body. Many would worry about what others might think of such thing. I like it; rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Oooh, thanks Fitz! Hehe. Well, i'm sure others will think all sorts of things. But i'm 50 now, and i don't care what other people think! :-D

Originally posted by toofeelgood View Post
                    We have a bottle of Sailor Jerry Rum and it came with a deck of playing cards all with his artwork on each card. Rum is ok, not quite Pussers though.
                    I'd love to have a deck of Sailor Jerry cards with his art on it! And i collect Rum for my (some day) Tiki Bar, so the rum would be awesome, ok or not! I'll have to look them up, thanks! :-)

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

My grandfather had a traditional Navy tattoo of an anchor on his arm. I remember him showing it to me when I was a little boy and telling me, "Don't ever get a tattoo!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mosquito_Bait View Post
                          My grandfather had a traditional Navy tattoo of an anchor on his arm. I remember him showing it to me when I was a little boy and telling me, "Don't ever get a tattoo!"
                          Hehe. I wonder what the story behind that was! :-)

Comment

My uncle has a Sailor Jerry tattoo on his forearm from when he was in the Navy. She's about 3 or 4 inches tall, high heels and hands on her hips. He tells a story about going back in to have a bikini added before he was married. He says he volunteered but I can't help picturing his Mom (my grandmother), his fiance, and his future mother-in-law hovering in the background.

And like Mosquito Bait's grandfather, my uncle finishes the story by saying, "So don't ever get a tattoo." It seems the decisions a 19-year old sailor makes at 2 AM while on a port-of-call aren't always the best. :surprised:

Comment

Those are some COOL tattoos. I have 5 tatts so far. 2 on each arm and one on my chest. I realy like Indian stuff so I have a feather on one arm and am looking into getting a bear paw print on my chest some day.
                              Last edited by BrianP; 07-05-2008, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X