tattoos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tattoos

I have two tattoos and there was a great deal of time that passed between the application of each of them. So the fact tat I went back and got another should tell you something about my happiness with them! In both cases they were designs I tried to sketch up on my own and they allow the tattooist a moderate amount of creative license in the actual application.

Points were made about the effects of ageing on tattoos, and I think that GETTING one means COMMITTING TO the care of the "canvas" it is on. You should apply strong (SPF 50+) sunscreen on the tattoo in order to protect the color and you also need to eat right and try and remain relatively fit in order to preserve the tattoo. It that respect it is a bit like having a pet or a child, i.e. a lifetime commitment! Yes, of course, we all age and the skin is going to transform, distort and "weather" - so what? If you are really worried about this then I recommend getting smaller meaningful tattoos and challenging the tattooist to execute your design on a smaller scale. OR, if you still want that tribal arm band or lower back tattoo, use less dark colors and try to work more closely to the palette that is your normal skin color. I was thinking of getting some "scroll work-like" tattoos that would be near Henna ink in color and would follow the contours of my body, but I have not done this yet.

A tattoo can be a subtle, delicate thing, or a bold and "brash" thing, but one thing it is certainly not is, is the same for each person; not the meaning, purpose, style or execution.

Be prepared for your self-created design NOT to come out perfect!!! Try creating three styles of your design and try to imagine each of them on your skin in the place you want. Do a sketch with alternate colors, different lines and slightly different shading, and be prepared for the artists influence on the final product. If you are the kind of person who only LOVES when something turns out EXACTLY as planned (like the "perfect" wedding) then I would think twice and three times about a tattoo. It may not turn out as you expect.

~

Comment

Originally posted by rinkydinky View Post
      remeber that they are there forever.

And that is absolutely the best part. They last forever.

Comment

I have a Sea Turtle done in a Polynesian Tribal style on my upper right buttock.

It is placed so that it is not normally visible in my everyday life.

It holds special significance for me, representing the time that I have spent on different islands in the Pacific; the special friends I have made out there; colleagues who I spent time with on those journeys who have since passed away, and; the special place that the Pacific will always occupy in my mind and dreams.

I found the design and put it away for several years to test my conviction before getting it earlier this year - now a little piece of the Pacific will travel with me wherever I go. (And after some early "issues", I think my wife now accepts it!)

Comment

I have 1 on my forearm and 1 on my chest, thinking about getting more done.

Comment

I have first name on right forearm, outline of a dragon on left bicep. the wife has two on her back and one on left breast

Comment

Working...
            X