X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body ornamentation acceptance?

I really enjoyed reading the threads about shaving and erections - a couple of things my husband and I have discussed as concerns venturing into the social nudist scene.

My big question, though, is what kind of acceptance is there for ornamentation such as tattoos and piercings? I view it as a personal choice to decorate the body, but I've read a lot of posts and websites (by both nudists and clubs) that discourage body piercings or tattoos strongly.

Why?

Is this still something considered taboo?

Very rarely do I see pictures of tattooed nudists, and I've not yet seen a picture of someone identifying themself as a nudist with any visible piercings.

I have two rather noticeable tattoos and have considered getting my nipples pierced (I've been considering it for 10 years! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). Will these ornamentations interfere with going "social"?

Thanks for your time and patience with newbie questions. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I really enjoyed reading the threads about shaving and erections - a couple of things my husband and I have discussed as concerns venturing into the social nudist scene.

My big question, though, is what kind of acceptance is there for ornamentation such as tattoos and piercings? I view it as a personal choice to decorate the body, but I've read a lot of posts and websites (by both nudists and clubs) that discourage body piercings or tattoos strongly.

Why?

Very rarely do I see pictures of tattooed nudists, and I've not yet seen a picture of someone identifying themself as a nudist with any visible piercings.

I have two rather noticeable tattoos and have considered getting my nipples pierced (I've been considering it for 10 years! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). Will these ornamentations interfere with going "social"?

Thanks for your time and patience with newbie questions. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Angel, I hope you'll get a positive response or at least, not a negative one !
      It seems within all minority groups ,in this case nudists, there are those who want to marginalise others. It is something that happens in all walks of life , but I firmly believe that nudists / naturists have a duty to be more accepting than most.
      The first piercing I saw was in Cap'Dage years ago. I had already been there a few days and had gotton very quickly into the lifestyle of shopping, eating and being nude 24 / 7.
      One morning a VERY bronzed couple were walking along the promanade, he wearing nothing but an expensive looking gold watch, she with diamond rings and gold necklaces, Dior shades and nothing else. It was my first visit to a nudist resort outside the U.K. and I was fascinated with this couple because frankly, they looked hilarious ,naked but determined to show their material wealth ! Something else caught my eye - she had a gold glint between her legs . I had never seen or even heard of genital piercing before -it was something very unusual then , certainly something people didn't talk about. It was an image that stayed with me a long time. In subsequent years I have seen many more piercings, mainly men it has to be said and have a number of friends with genital piercings and tattoos [one of them jingles as he walks ! ]. I have friends who wouldn't DREAM of going nude who have pierced nipples and belly buttons - indeed it is quite common in the U.K. these days. I am needle phobic and it is something I couldn't do myself, but have no problem with piercings or tattoos on others and fail to understand why it is a problem for others .
      I wonder if it it is seen as "showing off " and drawing attention ? Or is it the slightly odd idea that naturism is natural [ try and convince me of that when its cold and wet here ! ] and that piercing or tattoos are somehow 'impure ' ? Or is it the idea that piercings and tattos are somehow sexual and therefore again, not pure ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Angel:
      [qb]I really enjoyed reading the threads about shaving and erections - a couple of things my husband and I have discussed as concerns venturing into the social nudist scene.

Why?

Thanks for your time and patience with newbie questions. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Dear Bertiepotato,

To answer you question regarding how the different clubs feel about either body peircings and or tattoos...best solution before visiting, is to call ahead and ask what their policy is. Personally a lot of my friends up here in the Pacific NW would never dream of sporting a tat, much less a body piercing other than in their earlobes...

Personally I find both to be out of the norm of what I would find tastefully done, except in culturally exceptable locations on my or their bodies...ie...my earlobes and other locations where they are not on public display for all to see or hear... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Sorry, but looking at some guy or gal with peircings that are visable to all via the lower portion of their torso while I or they are nude, is not what I consider to be attractive, nor are tattos that encompass one upper torso, that can be construded as strickly attention getters as you mentioned about the couple whose body jewelry definitely caught your attention [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Greensunshine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Greensunshine struck at the heart of what I consider to be a double standard with the following:

"Personally I find both to be out of the norm of what I would find tastefully done, except in culturally exceptable locations on my or their bodies...ie...my earlobes and other locations where they are not on public display for all to see or hear... Sorry, but looking at some guy or gal with peircings that are visable to all via the lower portion of their torso while I or they are nude, is not what I consider to be attractive, nor are tattos that encompass one upper torso, that can be construded as strickly attention getters as you mentioned about the couple whose body jewelry definitely caught your attention "

I hear so many proclaimed nudists and naturists say "it isn't about *attractive*" ... but obviously, at least in some cases, it *is*.

I do not personally find extremely hairy men attractive. Nor do I find extremely thin, bony women attractive. But SO WHAT? My attraction - or lack thereof - to their personal appearance in no way affects *who* they are - their personality, their character, their beliefs and preferences.

Is it not the celebration of who we truly are that matters?

Please don't take this as a flame - it's a frustration. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Angel, I totally agree with you.
            Its a double standard of -" body acceptance but only if it's something I approve of " !

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Angel I am with you on this. Greensunshine's posts seem to be mainly concerned with shallow ideals as if finding a guy that is "cute" is what will make her life more complete. She must be real young. I know as I got older my tastes changed and I figured out there are more important things in life than a particular trendy look. Tats and piercings are becoming more and more the norm and as time goes by the clubs are easing up on those restrictions. Down the road people will wonder what all the hoopla was about.

I have one nipple pierced and I have to warn you that I was not prepared for how bad it was gonna hurt when I had it done. If I should lose it I won't do it again. However others have said it wasn't so bad so I guess it is different for everyone.

Comment

Amen Angel, I hear ya.

Who cares "who" finds "what" attractive. I thought the nudist philosophy was about acceptance no matter what one looks like. Guess not all nudists ascribe to this nudist philosophy.

Personally, I have one tattoo (so far) and my eyebrow is pierced, along with two piercings on one ear. I do not practice socially, but if this were to be an issue with a club, then screw 'em.
                Who needs 'em. Bunch 'o hypocrites!!

Comment

Hmmm, body acceptance not all that accepting? Interesting! Truth be told, body acceptance is really not the issue...it's behavior acceptance that lies at the heart of the issue.

Questions arise to WHY someone would sport certain tattoos, and/or pierce certain parts of their body? Some do it because it's beautiful, others do it to be a part of pop culture, but others do it obviosly as an act of rebellion or as a means of gaining attention to certain parts of their body.

At TNA, as a means to avoid undue questions, we do discourage excessive tatts and peircing, since we do support a family environment at our gatherings. But that is the only reason. Otherwise, if a member has tattoos or piercings that are tasteful, and well done, then there is no problem. We accept every BODY, but we do not accept every BEHAVIOR!

Comment

One of the greatest things about being a nudist is FREEDOM. I'm fat, hairy and not overly endowed. Some people look better than me. Some look worse. No one bothers me because of my looks in nudist environments. Can't say that is always true in the textile world.

That stated - Why would anyone judge those who are into tatoos and piercings? Every nudist expresses themselves to some degree - hair length, jewelry, shaving, etc. To say that you don't want to look at a stranger with excessive piercings is a form of bigotry.

Comment

Interesting txk nude because you seem to be assuming that tattoos and piercings go with certain " behaviour ".
                      Correct me if I'm wrong.

Several years ago a friend a nudist , then working in the rock world and a real live gentle giant had his nipple pierced. I went with him to lots of stores in London and the South East looking for nipple rings which proved, at the time difficult to find. The stores were all dark fronted and in some cases, sex stores.
                      I met some of the nicest, friendliest, warmest helpfull people I ever met. The fact that they were all covered in piercings and tattoos was a bit intimidating at first but my preconcieved idea was something I soon got over.

Now think of a non nudist in a nudist situation - we would all want them to believe we are normal people who just enjoy being naked when we can. But most people just freak out at the idea of social nudity !
                      So who are we to judge on a perceived " lifestyle" or what someone looks like and not who they are ?
                      Isn't that against the fundimentals of
                      Naturism ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TXK NUDE:
                      [qb]Hmmm, body acceptance not all that accepting? Interesting! Truth be told, body acceptance is really not the issue...it's behavior acceptance that lies at the heart of the issue.

Questions arise to WHY someone would sport certain tattoos, and/or pierce certain parts of their body? Some do it because it's beautiful, others do it to be a part of pop culture, but others do it obviosly as an act of rebellion or as a means of gaining attention to certain parts of their body.

At TNA, as a means to avoid undue questions, we do discourage excessive tatts and peircing, since we do support a family environment at our gatherings. But that is the only reason. Otherwise, if a member has tattoos or piercings that are tasteful, and well done, then there is no problem. We accept every BODY, but we do not accept every BEHAVIOR![/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TXK NUDE:
                        [qb]
                        At TNA, as a means to avoid undue questions, we do discourage excessive tatts and peircing, since we do support a family environment at our gatherings. But that is the only reason. Otherwise, if a member has tattoos or piercings that are tasteful, and well done, then there is no problem. We accept every BODY, but we do not accept every BEHAVIOR![/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What undue questions would that be? What does a family environment have to do with tattoos and piercings really? Do people who have tats make worse parents than those without? Who's idea of tasteful and well done do you use? Mine? Yours? The mailman's?? What does behavior have to do with tattoos and piercings?

Comment

cyndiann says:

"What does a family environment have to do with tattoos and piercings really? Do people who have tats make worse parents than those without? Who's idea of tasteful and well done do you use? Mine? Yours? The mailman's?? What does behavior have to do with tattoos and piercings?"

I'm a 36 yr old wife and mother and work as a sales clerk. I've had one traffic ticket in my life, and have a college degree. I'm about as "average" as one can get.

I got my first tattoo on my right breast when I was 25. My youngest child nursed at that breast, and everyone else has seen it from my older kids to my parents to friends from college and church and coworkers.

My older kids - both boys - responded with "wow, Mom, neat". A breast is not a sex organ to them, they saw my breasts frequently in the context of nursing their younger brothers. A breast is simply a mammary gland that makes it easy, healthy and convenient to feed an infant.

My youngest child is 9, and I've been contemplating nipple piercing since he stopped nursing. Why? Because I want to. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Because I think it looks neat, and would feel neat.

There was a suggestion that tattoos or piercings may draw "inappropriate" attention to "inappropriate" body areas. Ahem. Bodies are bodies, in my view, and I really want to meet the fat, hairy, less-than-well-endowed guy, just to hug him for being an openminded person. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I guess I've gotten an answer to my initial question, although I hope others will continue to toss in their two cents worth. IMNSHO, whether I choose to wear a wedding ring or a nipple ring, a towel or a tattoo, 30 pounds of hairspray or 30 pounds of extra flab, I should be accepted for who I am, not what I look like.

Comment

As you can see, Angel, views of tattoos and piercings are varied. So, depending on the tattoo or area of piercing, you must expect a certain amount of friction to the idea. And the tattoo, itself, can say a lot about who someone is if it is sporting a message.

The only truly (although not completely) socially acceptable place for a piercing is on the lobe or lower portion of the female ear. Women with multiple ear piercings or men with ear piercings are seen differently. When the rings move away from the ear, the acceptance lessens. But it seems that nose rings are slowly gaining acceptance as is lip and tongue rings, albeit at a much slower rate.

But nipple and genital rings will remain very controversial, not only in general society where, although they are never seen, are seen as sexual aids, but also in nudism venues, where they are viewed akin to bikinis/speedos. Piercing jewelry are there to add a decorative touch to the specific part of the area of the body. When the piercings are on the nipples or genitals, there is a similar view as general society that those places are the sexual areas and you are trying to highlight those places.

As you see, I think that piercings can cause the biggest problem. Tattoos only really cause a problem when they are large and/or contain controversial images on them.

Bob S.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob S.:
                              [qb]As you see, I think that piercings can cause the biggest problem. Tattoos only really cause a problem when they are large and/or contain controversial images on them.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Obviously people can do what they like with their own bodies but to me tattoos, because of their permanence, amount to little more than vandalism: graffiti of the body if you like. At least piercings can be removed (albeit with minor scarring) when the fashion changes but tattoos are there for life.

My hope for the many young people who have fallen victim to this most pernicious fashion statement is that the future will bring sufficient advances in tattoo removal techiques to enable them to reclaim their skin when they come to regret their foolishness.

Rik

Comment

Working...
                              X