Seeing older people shaved

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing older people shaved

Growing up I was pleased to get pubic hair as it showed that I was a man - I hadn't seen many men naked but all those I had seen had hair, none were shaved or even trimmed (this was in the late 70s/ early 80s).

Realise that all has changed with the internet but wonder what it was like for guys who grew up and saw their parents or other adults shaved - did it encourage you to shave (to be the same) or to stay hairy (to be different) ?

Re: Seeing older people shaved

Styles change. When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, no one but women had long hair. Men's faces were cleanly shaven except for the occasional mustache. Now beards are common as is long hair on men. As far as shaven pubes now, it's a matter of choice.

Comment

I understand the perception that having pubic hair "makes you (males) a man," but I don't agree. There are many more facets to a male that make him a man and whether or not he has pubic hair is way down on the list. I've known many males with lots of pubic hair and they were less "a man" than my 7 y.o. grandson.

Anyway...as stated, it's a choice and when growing up...in the 50's/60's...I don't think I ever saw a shaved pubic area. In the 70's I was in the military, didn't see any there either, and when I got out I grew my hair long cuz I had to have it short for 4 years!

Shaving became a fad/trend and I think it's one that has caught on to a wide range of generations and even in those generations, not all partake in shaving or trimming. The older generations want to remain young and young at heart. Many of us do things to show that we are still "thinking young" even though our bodies show otherwise.

Pierced ears, navels, genitals, tattoos and shaving body hair are those things that many of the younger people have done and so the older generations have decided to follow suit because it makes them feel like they're not just sitting back, watching life pass by in a rocking chair. I like that, I applaud them for keeping young and up with the trends and I don't think it's a notable issue whether anyone of any generation has or doesn't have pubic hair.

FP

Comment

Originally posted by FireProf View Post
        I understand the perception that having pubic hair "makes you (males) a man," but I don't agree.
        I think the "makes you a man" statement also applies to facial hair and underarm hair too. It is simply an outward sign that you have begun the next phase of your life: puberty. Kids desperately try to be "grown up." They will use any outward sign to prove that they are not little kids anymore.

I agree with you FP that shaving pubic hair is a personal preference kind of thing. I wonder why no one cares why someone shaves their facial hair.

Comment

Trend, fads, and styles change. I am sure in 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s it was unthinkable for a man to shave his pubic hair. Today, it is completely different situation. Today, we are more open minded about a lot of things, even pubic shaving. I believe the pubic shaving trend varies: need for individuality, sexuality, cleanliness and the list goes on.

I myself did not shave my pubic hair until few years ago when I noticed my two brothers shaved theirs. I have always been a chest hair shaver but never considered my pubic hair until I noticed my brothers.

Sooner afterwards, I noticed the trend among guys when I used the gym shower. In fact, I notice that most men have pubic hair but minimal and almost have a bald look.

I will say that when I first had my sprout of pubic hair, I freaked out. My parents had yet to discuss puberty so I was at lost as to what was going on. The thought that I was becoming a man never came to me. Instead, I had the reaction of WTF.

Comment

I decided to shave my pubic area after I had a surgery that required most of that area to be shaved. I had to keep the area clean while it healed and it seemed like a good idea.
            I had no Idea that anyone else had ever done it before. Hadn't seen another male nude in years.
            I continued to do it simply because I liked it that way. Same as why I shave my face, and keep the hair on my head short.
            It's not following a trend, or trying to be younger. It's just grooming. I also shave the hair on my back and shoulders. Simply because it looks better to me.
            It doesn't make me less of a man, nor does it help me hold on to my youth.
            I do things for me, not to "fit in" with any group.

Comment

To each their own, it's a preference to be shaved or not. I don't particularly believe it's a fashion statement, but more of an outward appearance gesture. As stated, it makes the older generation keep up with the times, so to speak. It basically falls in line as using hair coloring. Many use hair coloring to "try" to keep that youthful look. Purely a preference that many chose to make.

Comment

I agree it is a personal choice and if it makes you feel good go ahead and go for it. I am a trimmer I keep the brush down but don't cut the whole shrub down.LOL!

Comment

If I could afford it, I would have all body hair removed permanently from the neck down. I guess I would be considered one of the (older people) in this post. Currently I trim as I do not like the growing out part of shaving.

Comment

Neither did they shave pubic hair when I was growing up in the 20ties and 30ties.

Old nudist magazines called "Sunshine and Health" show all have pubic hair at the nudist camps.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy View Post
                      If I could afford it, I would have all body hair removed permanently from the neck down.
                      I second that, mostly for practical reasons. I only shave when I'm going to be sunning, in and out of water, or nude a lot. It's simply easier: I dry off faster without body hair, I tan better, it's easier to apply sunscreen, etc. I also happen to think it looks more appropriate on me, but more importantly, it fits my mental self-image more.

However, when it's less practical (or impractical), such as when I'm at home and not really planning on doing much other than around the house or such, I don't bother. If I could get it permanently removed, I would.

Comment

you know, I have never really had any serious thoughts about it. I do remember that whem I first noticed it, I was at Desert Shadow Inn(Desert sun now). I remember thinking that I thought that that was a younger generation thing. Again, it didnt bother me just remember thinking that older ages didnt want to do that. That kinda backs up the idea that older generations might be kinda gettin in touch with their yothful side. The same lady that I saw with the shaved pubes also had one of those belly chains. I kinda always felt that more people at that club, being in Palm Springs, were a lil more flashy than most places. It all kinda seemed like a fashion statement at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          Again, it didnt bother me just remember thinking that older ages didnt want to do that. That kinda backs up the idea that older generations might be kinda gettin in touch with their yothful side. The same lady that I saw with the shaved pubes also had one of those belly chains. I kinda always felt that more people at that club, being in Palm Springs, were a lil more flashy than most places. It all kinda seemed like a fashion statement at that point.
                          You also have the way that trends and fads happen. They generally start with the "young cool kids" and migrate to the mainstream joiners and by the time your mom and grandma have adopted them the cool kids have moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by Xen View Post
                            Growing up I was pleased to get pubic hair as it showed that I was a man - I hadn't seen many men naked but all those I had seen had hair, none were shaved or even trimmed (this was in the late 70s/ early 80s).

Realise that all has changed with the internet but wonder what it was like for guys who grew up and saw their parents or other adults shaved - did it encourage you to shave (to be the same) or to stay hairy (to be different) ?
                            Growing up. i took showers with my dad. Also, as a family, we would swim in our pool naked. My dad did not shave and my mom was completely shaven.

I shave/trim because it looks better, especially when naked in front of others. I am not completely shaved, but it to trim and shave to make it more "presentable."

As I shower at the gym and go to nude resorts and beach, I am starting to see more and more men shaved or trimmed.

Comment

I recently started shaving my scrotum and trim above the penis. I love clean-shaven feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X