How to conquer ingrowns?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to conquer ingrowns?

So, I've tried just about everything: shaving with a blade, shaving with a foil, waxing, eplilating, depilatory creams, the works. No matter what I do, everything in-grows. It's like the hair has an attraction to my skin and wants to burrow down into it as quickly as possible.

I've tried exfoliating, salicylic acid, every trick in the book, and even when I simply buzz my hair with a beard trimmer, it wants to head right back into my skin. About as close as I can crop is is with the guard on at the shortest setting... and I still will get one curling back in now and then. Daily exfoliation helps somewhat, but I just don't have the time. The best I can do is put antibiotic on them and try to encourage them to work their way out.

I actually like keeping a neat, trimmed patch of pubic hair - it looks manly - but I like to get the hair all around it as short as possible, preferably absent. It feels nice and cool in the summer. I also shave my scrotum, but oddly enough this is the one part of my body on which I never get any ingrowns.

I have the same problem with my beard. Shaving of any kind causes painful ingrowns, but I prefer not to wear a beard due to the fact that it's prematurely gray and makes me look 10 years older.

Anyone have any suggestions? Been through this?

Re: How to conquer ingrowns?

I have noticed that the less often I shave the more often I get ingrown hairs, but I do not have the same problem with getting ingrowns just trimming that you do.

Comment

I only get ingrowns on my face (I don't shave anywhere else). It's a never-ending battle. I asked a (arrogant) dermatologist about it once, and he laughed and said to grow a beard. I don't like a beard because it was red (my hair is brown), it's now gray (my hair is still brown) and my wife doesn't like it. I find that if I shave regularly, it seems to help. Even if I skip a day, they seem to get worse. I also look for ingrowns daily and try to get them before they make too big of a mess. Lastly, an electric razor made them much worse. It's just something I have to live with.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod View Post
        I have noticed that the less often I shave the more often I get ingrown hairs, but I do not have the same problem with getting ingrowns just trimming that you do.
        Did a little more research. Right now I'm going way old-school. Bic sensitive, single-blade plastic disposable, 20 cents/each. I use one for my face, one for my "undercarriage." Shave every day when possible, change razors twice a week. Minimize the number of strokes.

I'm hoping a nice, fresh blade that doesn't cut too close to the skin, plus well-conditioned skin, will minimize things. We'll see.

But I have evil, evil hairs. They grow two-to-a-follicle in some places.

Comment

While showering, I scrub the cleared area with a buff-puff to keep the ingrowns at bay. Even a fairly coarse wash cloth works ok.

Comment

The most reliable way to prevent ingrown hair is to not sheer it off below the surface level of the skin. Live with a slight stubble - if you can't stand the sight of it - bleach it invisible - a particularly nice way for nudists to do this is to use a "Sun-In" lemon product as a skin lotion prior to sunbathing, does the job without ammonia or harsh chemicals and has a pleasant(ish) odor. Use moisturizers, conditioners and other products to soften the stubble so that it isn't as bristly.

Comment

Every time I am in the shower, I shave. Even if I shower 3 or 4 time in a day, I shave a little. I never get ingrown stubble

Comment

Working...
              X