Steam room naked or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steam room naked or not?

I had a bit of a weird experience the other day. I was working out at my local 24 Hour Fitness, and after my workout I went for a soak in the hot tub and then to sit in the sauna for a few minutes. While I was soaking in the hot tub I saw a girl come in and head into the sauna. The weird part was she came in fully dressed, and even had a sweatshirt on and her backpack with her.

Well a few minutes later I went in to sit in the sauna for a few minutes, and I saw her as well as another man in there, who was also fully dressed and listening to his IPhone.

Now, because this is a family gym and those facilities are co-ed there are signs up stating that you have to be wearing a swimsuit. I don't have a problem with that, but it was weird to be sitting there in my swim trucks, with other people in bathing suits, and then to have people fully clothed and way overdressed.

I say it's weird for a few reasons. ) Is it even healthy and safe to use a sauna like that? 2) Aren't you still ruining a good pair of clothes with all the sweat and toxins coming out of you?

Comment

Sounds like a good way to have heat stroke.

Comment

Throw water on the hot rocks (if you can)! It makes overdressed people leave the sauna and think about the proper costume.

Comment

I cannot imagine being in a steam room or a sauna with anything on, especially elastic around my middle, and then sweating profusely, and repeating this time after time - it sounds a bit disgusting, thats why these facilities are generally single sex.

Comment

The dress code for sauna and steam room is in my avatar.

Comment

At my Y we have an 'adult men's area' that has showers, a steam room, and a whirpool hot tub. Only very seldom have I seen anyone using them with a swimsuit or shorts on. Even in the outer locker areas almost no one worries about 'covering up' with a towel while changing.

Of course, it seems that there is an age range that is typically missing from the Y: teens to twenties. I've seen a few in that age range working out upstairs, but they seem to pack their stuff with them, and to enter, work out, and leave without ever going to the men's locker room.

So our little kids (my son is 7) get a nice dose of comfortable nudity when changing...but somewhere in between that and adulthood the fear of locker rooms seems to set in. I really don't know why.

FTB

Comment

going into a steam room any way other than naked is not only uncomfortable, but pointless. i've been to a gym that also has a jacuzzi in the locker room, so nude use is possible. that's a great feeling.

Comment

i can confirm most of what everybody has said here.

at the ymca where i work out, the sauna and steam room are in the men's locker room area. i'd say about half the guys in the sauna/steam room are nude. it does seem that the younger men in particular are funny about being naked, whether it is in the sauna. steam room, shower, or lockerroom. so whenever i see a young guy who seems to be comfortable with his nakedness, i feel like it's cause for rejoicing.

i wonder what the big deal is, though. when i was in school we started showering after p.e. in the fourth of fifth grade. so by the time puberty hit, we were all pretty comfortable with communal nudity and open showers.

no question that nude is the best way to enjoy sauna and steamroom.

Comment

At my gym, I've also noticed many of the younger guys cover up.
                    I couldn't imagine why until I saw one 20 something dude completely shaved.
                    I think he was self conscious about what the older gents would think.
                    Week later, I saw one of the 70 something older guys completely shaved too.
                    Now it seems , the gym has fewer towel dancers.

Comment

• Re: Steam room naked or not?

I'm off skiing in Italy soon - do the saunas there tend to be nude or clothed? And are they co-ed? Thanks!

Comment

Was on a cruise at this summer in the eastern Med. Cruise company was American. There was a good mix of Euro's, Americans, and Aussies. I used the gym, spa, and sauna everyday. Of course the spas - even in the adult area - required swimsuits. I'd go in to the men's locker room for steam-room and sauna. Both the steam room and sauna were nude. Figured the reason was all of the Europeans. When I actually began to talk to folks most of the folks were from the U.S. and NOT Europe. In fact, on guy in a towel was from France. There were two others from Sacramento, Ca and they were nude! So much for Stereo-types.

Also, I know I defined the 'dress-code' in the sauna/steam room. If no one was in there, I'd of course go with out towel (sitting on towel). Many times folks would come in with towel on, look at me and then do as I did. So set the dress-code and see if others follow!

Comment

naked is what makes sense...!

Comment

Working...
                          X