Pickle Ball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickle Ball

As the temperatures here in AZ drops from the 100's (currently in the high 70's) more and more resort residents are enjoying active outdoor sports away from the pool. One of the popular activities is "Pickle Ball".

The game combines elements of tennis, badminton and ping-pong. It is played with a paddles made of wood or composite materials to hit a plastic ball, similar to a wiffle ball. The court size is 44 feet by 20 feet compared to a tennis court size of 78 feet by 36 feet (doubles) and thus is not as physically challenging as tennis yet allows one to participate in an active sport.

Out here at Shangri La, we have two courts (really tennis courts with added striping for use for pickle ball thus allowing dual use) and from other players here it appears that Laguna del Sol resort has four courts. I know that a lot of adult living communities (clothed) out here, quite a few have begun putting these courts on their grounds. They have found that the utilization of these courts outdo other courts such as tennis, handball and such. This I can say has also been happening at Shangri La.

Curious to see how many other landed resorts have them now (for instance, I know Glen Eden has extensive tennis facilities, but their site does not mention pickle ball)?

We are members of GE and they do have 1 pickle ball court but ... they've taken out the old shuffle board decks and are excavating that area to put in another pickle ball court. The game has come alive with the retirees.

We had a mandatory exercise program at work. Some guys jogged, my crew played sports; basketball and pickle ball. I got a better work out with pickle ball than jogging or basketball and pickle ball, strangely ... didn't bother my knees near as much.

We now have two sets of paddles and about 8 balls in our motorhome. We'll be ready to play no matter where we are, as long as they have a tennis court!

Comment

Sounds interesting, I've never heard of it in the UK, how do you play? I notice the court size is identical to that of badminton. I'm really into badminton and play for my local club. I sometimes get the chance to play at a nudist 'swim' as well (they have the use of the attached sports hall). I will ask if any of them have heard of pickle ball.

Comment

You can get a great snapshot of this new activity by watching the report by Brian Williams, anchor of NBC Nightly News, ( http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/...america-n56181 ).

He reported last March of this year that it was the fastest-growing sport in America.

Comment

This is the first I have heard of the game also, but I don't get out much. lol Sounds fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne View Post
            Sounds interesting, I've never heard of it in the UK, how do you play? I notice the court size is identical to that of badminton. I'm really into badminton and play for my local club. I sometimes get the chance to play at a nudist 'swim' as well (they have the use of the attached sports hall). I will ask if any of them have heard of pickle ball.
            Pickle ball is just like tennis; except ... you play with paddles (about 3 X's larger than a ping pong paddle) and instead of a tennis ball ... you play with a plastic wiffle ball. The court is smaller than a tennis court. It is funny but ... this being the fastest growing sport amongst the baby boomer generation ... I was playing this game, for exercise, about 8 years ago. We played each day we were on duty. It's really lots of fun.

Comment

To pickle or not to pickle, well for the comic strip Baby Blues they chose the first! For a good chuckle, check out the strip take on Pickelball here:

http://www.allpickleball.com/jennife...l-comic-strip/

Comment

Pickleball Anyone? Thought you all may enjoy the article from the Naturist Society's
                latest magazine, Nude and Natural. Kudos to Glen Eden on their new Pickelball courts.

Comment

Working...
                X