Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning

Hi Guys:

Just curious, anyone here a spinning enthusiast?

I LOVE spinning. It is a great cardio workout. I take a spin class 2-3x/wk for 1 hour and have always found it to be a great workout. I just love how I feel at the end and seeing my shirt drenched in sweat. You definitely know you have gotten a great workout.

I do other cardio like running on treadmill (4x/wk) and elliptical but spin tops as the best.

Anyone here spin as well?

If only I can do it in the nude.

I used to be back when I was near a gym that offered it durring lunchtime. I did feel really great after those workouts but now just can't find the time to drive across town to go to a class. Never had a nude spinning class but if there were one even if it was acorss town I would go.

Comment

Please. for the uninformed among us, what exactly is spinning?

Comment

quote:
        what exactly is spinning?

It used to be called "riding a stationary bicycle". But they couldn't charge you $30 an hour to take "classes" in "pedaling on a stationary bicycle", thus the need to invent the term "spinning".

-Mark

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Baremore:
          Please. for the uninformed among us, what exactly is spinning?

Spinning is an aerobic exercise on a specially designed stationary bike called a spinning bike.

See link below
          What is Spinning

Comment

I take 3 spinning classes a week. It is led by a certified instructor. The instructor instructs when to increase resistance (which you do with a knob on the bike) If you have a good instructor it is a great work out. My class always ends up with everyone dripping sweat. This is probably too intense for someone extremely out of shape and extremely over weight.

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by Matt King:
              I take 3 spinning classes a week. It is led by a certified instructor. The instructor instructs when to increase resistance (which you do with a knob on the bike) If you have a good instructor it is a great work out. My class always ends up with everyone dripping sweat. This is probably too intense for someone extremely out of shape and extremely over weight.

Good point Matt, spinning is probably too intense for those who may be over weight or out of shape. Before I started spinning, I was in shape and worked out daily but when I took my first spin class, I couldn't get through it and struggled through the whole thing. After a couple of weeks, I was able to keep up.

In the end, the feeling you get at the end of the workout is out of this world.

Comment

quote:
                "peddling on a stationary bicycle"
                "pedaling"

Remember the joke about the prostitute who got herself a bicycle so she coud "peddle it all over town"? It only works as a phonic gag.

Comment

thanks naturist mark i was going to ask what it was as well!!
                  would it not be better for all you spinners and cheaper to ride a real bike to the gym and that way you can do somthing else when your there??

"love life as your long time dead"

Comment

Back home we have a saying. "It's like riding a bike". Meaning once you know it you never forget it.

"Spinning your Wheels" Has a whole nother meaning.

Steve

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by bonnie dundee:
                      thanks naturist mark i was going to ask what it was as well!!
                      would it not be better for all you spinners and cheaper to ride a real bike to the gym and that way you can do somthing else when your there??

"love life as your long time dead"

Bonnie, please note, spinning isn't necessarily the same as biking. You get a much harder workout if you spin than bike or ride a stionary bike. In fact, most fitness experts dismiss staionary bikes as they do not exert a lot of force like running or doing elliptical. In biking, you do not get to workout your core (abs and mid sections), or your upper body.

Could I ride my bike to gym? Sure, although it wouldn't be effect as my gym is a 5 minutes walk from my apt. Would it be cheaper? Well my gym is 115/mo and classes are part of my membership dues.

My gym's spin classes are worth it. It is normally an hr long, instructer turns heat up, shuts the light, and turns on that music and we spin spin spin.

My roommate has gone with me to a couple classes and even she admitted that it was the hardest workout she ever had. She thought that the class would be easy. "How hard is it to peddle a bike", she said. After 10 minutes of the class, she quickly learned it isn't easy.

To give you better idea of spinning, check out these two youtube videos. They show what goes on in a spin class.

Spin 1
                      Spin 2

Comment

The next generation of spinning bikes are microprocessor based units which will operate very similar to current treadmills, ellipticals, etc. Instead of manually increasing or decreasing resistance by turning a knob, you will input either a stored or self created program and the bike will vary resistance for you during the selected duration of your spining work out. BTW, never call a modern spinning bike a 'stationary bike'. That terminology is so 'last century' and will date you as a dinosaur from years gone by.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by Sanslines:
                          The next generation of spinning bikes are microprocessor based units which will operate very similar to current treadmills, ellipticals, etc. Instead of manually increasing or decreasing resistance by turning a knob, you will input either a stored or self created program and the bike will vary resistance for you during the selected duration of your spining work out. BTW, never call a modern spinning bike a 'stationary bike'. That terminology is so 'last century' and will date you as a dinosaur from years gone by.

I belonged to an athletic club about 20 years ago that had microprocessor controlled stationary exercise bikes that could vary the resistance based upon a program that you entered prior to starting or you could adjust the resistance by pressing an up or down key as you rode. This sounds like the same thing being described using a new name.

I went to http://www.spinning.com and it looked close to the same thing that I used to exercise on.

Comment

The spining bikes that I have used at 3 different health clubs are the Schwinn / Nautilus series of bikes. They are older versions of this:

http://www.nautilusinc.com/consumer_catalog_primary/opl...oor+Cycling+Bike.jsp

I think one of the challenges with the mocroprocessor based bikes is this. Different brand bikes are constructed a bit differently but bikes with the felt caliper resistance pads need to be very rigorously maintained. Resistance will vary all over the place and hence why the bikes had knobs to manually adjust for the ever changing resistance loads. these loads were influenced by maintainence issues such as how often the wheel side walls were lubricated with silicon, how often the pads were cleaned or replaced.

Comment

I spin almost everyday when I am not out on road rides. And yes, spinning bikes are most definetly different than stationary bikes. I do it nude at home (with a towel) if I can't get to the gym.

If you push yourself or take a class, spinning is a fantastic workout, working legs, core and very heavy cardio.

And I appreciate Mark's humor but, as mentioned earlier, people usually do not pay for classes as they are held in health clubs and free with membership.
                              --steve

Comment

Working...
                              X