disc full

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disc full

The disc is nearly full on my computer, and I have went thru it and deleted all the programs I can. What do I do now?

Don't know the size of your HD, or how many programs and how much data you have. The most reasonable and easy way is to buy one of these USB2 or 3 External HDDrives and off load all History, data, Images, Video's to it. Then you will have more room for new, untill you buy a larger GB drive then copy or do an image to the new drive and use the old drive as a backup.

Most computers today are SATA interface and install very easy. [only the SATA connector and Power Connector to a new drive ] no jumpers, master, slave etc.

What is the size of the almost full drive? You will start to get odd operations and warning when you exceed 95% of capacity.

Comment

Adding an external drive is an obvious solution, but it doesn't address the problem of too much junk on your main drive.

The best tool for slimming down unnecessary files is CCleaner (aka Crap Cleaner) - every IT professional I know uses this free program. It can find and delete GB's of data in caches, temp files and other files that are supposed to be temporary but often accumulate. It is highly configurable too - for instance you can set it to NOT delete your browser password files or cookies if you want. It also comes with an uninstall feature that will allow you to easily completely delete old and unused programs - easier to use than Windows' built in uninstaller. Also after all the cleaning up you can run the registry cleaner utility to remove orphan entries and clutter from your Windows registry that slow down your machine (it also lets you back up the registry first so the process is completely reversible). Get CCleaner here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Some graphics utilities - like the commercial ThumbsPlus - will search for similar photos and allow you to delete duplicates. ThumbsPlus is notable in that it will identify similar photos that are not identical - so you can choose among different versions of a photo and keep the best one. http://www.cerious.com/

There are also some good utilities that will search out all kinds of (exact) duplicate files.
      http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-20...plicate-files/
      http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...e-detector.htm

Comment

Originally posted by naturalmanwa View Post
        The disc is nearly full on my computer, and I have went thru it and deleted all the programs I can. What do I do now?
        Numero uno. Clear your browser's cache.

Numero dos. Clear your other browser's cache.

Numero tres. Look for anything under a "temp" folder. Delete its contents.

Some users -- I had this happen once -- on Windows 7, where Windows Explorer was retaining everything I was doing, and filled up a 160Gb disk.

Most of the time where this occurs, this is the cause.

Also use caution on downloading freebee programs unless they're from a reliable source.

Sometimes (but not always) if you install them, you incur what is known as a "drive by shooting install" -- something ELSE will install on your system and give you trouble. This is why most commercial shops (including my own) prohibit you from doing that. Even some free "virus checkers" have been known to install virus-laden stuff on machines.

There are reasons that McAfee, Norton, and Kaspersky don't give away their products for free. When you pay the annual fee to McAfee -- I think I pay $39.99 per year, not sure -- you are obtaining automatic updates, and the intellectual capital behind those updates -- and it's well worth the payment.

Proceed with caution. I will say, OFTEN - a company might put out a product -- and give away a scaled down version on the product for personal use. But if you take it into a business environment - you have to pay. Or if you want the full-blown all-facility version, you also have to pay.

I do not know about ccleaner, so I am not commenting on that specifically.

I would watch on any download - to be careful not to install additional stuff you might not want. Even traditional media players do that "oh do you want to install the (whatever) toolbar"...

Fortunately - virus checkers (the big three) are smart enough to detect if you are getting more than you're asking for on a download...

Comment

Have you tried the obvious solution? Try deleting your Recycle bin. When you delete a file, it goes to the Recycle bin first. This allows you to "un-delete" if you change your mind. Every now and then, you really don't want the files so permanently delete them by deleting them from the Recycle bin. It can get very full.

Comment

Originally posted by usuallylurk View Post

Numero uno. Clear your browser's cache.

Numero dos. Clear your other browser's cache.

Numero tres. Look for anything under a "temp" folder. Delete its contents.

Some users -- I had this happen once -- on Windows 7, where Windows Explorer was retaining everything I was doing, and filled up a 160Gb disk.

Most of the time where this occurs, this is the cause.
            CCleaner will do all of these - even finding temp files you wouldn't know where to look for, with ease.

Also use caution on downloading freebee programs unless they're from a reliable source.
            Always good advice. I recommended CCleaner because it was first recommended to me by a professional IT guy, and I've used it for years. It is the gold standard of good programs - but be sure to only download it from Piriform - the maker, or from a download site you can trust like download.cnet.com or FILEHIPPO.com

Comment

If you are in Windows 7 or Vista (I believe 8 does this as well) look in your c:\users\[your account username]\App data\local\Temp and I'll bet you find gigabytes of temporary files the apps on your computer have stored in there. It's safe to delete those and delete from the recycle bin. Now navigate back out of that Temp folder and to where you're looking in that Local folder and you'll likely see the names of the programmes and apps you currently have installed on your computer. Some of those app folders may contain an 'Auto-save' folder where that specific app stores temporary files for auto-save reference. I know for a fact that Camtasia Studio, Adobe Audition and After Effects are programmmes notorious for storing humungous files in their temp or auto-save folders.

As Uusallylurk points out, you should search your entire C-drive for 'Temp' files. Easiest way to do this is click Start on your start bar and type *.tmp into that little search window. Hit enter and when the explorer window pops up just left-click 'Computer' and in a few moments the search will list all the .tmp files that have been sitting on your computer's C-drive and from there you can delete them all, safely. Don't worry if one or two .tmp files are undeletable, as some of them my be in use by Windows Explorer itself while you are doing this.

Once deleted and then your recycle bin is cleared out then let us know whether and how this has helped you recover some good disk space on your C-drive.

Comment

I tried to download CC cleaner, but there isn't enough space on the disc. Looks like the external hard drive is my best bet. I will buy one after the first when I get my retirement check. Thanks for the excellent help, and I will keep you guys posted.

Comment

I am also thinking that it could be possible that somewhere on your CC-drive is what's known as a Trojan Horse. It's a file that, just in general, Internet travels, could be picked up inherently and once it is cached into your C-drive it grows and grows until eventually most of your C-drive space is taken up by it. At that point the only really true fix to that problem is to wipe and re-install your Windows.

Comment

I managed to get the cc cleaner working and deleted the temporary files and things seem to be better. I run the Norton 360 program and use it daily to make sure I don't have any viruses. Thanks to all of you for your help!

Comment

Good to see you've made some progress on that.

Comment

I would use something like Treesize to figure out what is taking up space on your hard drive and then once you know you can back it up to a ext drive or some other source to free up space.

Comment

I bought an external hard drive and had a friend check out the rest of my system and it seems to be working much better. This is an older unit and I will be replacing it soon. Thanks to all here for the help and advice!

Comment

Update on my computer. Seems the Norton premier anti virus didn't do its job and I ended up replacing mine and the wife's computers. Norton gave me a refund after a bunch of hell raising, and I may turn this over to the consumer protection people.

Comment

Working...
                            X