Nudist in Malaysia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete Knight View Post
    There you go again Walter, you mistakenly believe that Malaysia is a hot bed of Muslim fundamentalism, it's not! The Malay peninsula is home to enlightened countries such as Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore, and if you'd ever been to any of them you would know that they cannot be compared to Muslim countries such as Iraq, or even Saudi Arabia where they have Muslim Gestapo to punish anyone over stepping religious doctrine.

It's no more difficult to hold nude gatherings in Malaysia than in some US states, it's just that nudity isn't widespread, and there isn't an organised group or club............ yet!

I would recommend travel to Malaya, the oriental culture is wonderful, and the history is quite interesting, especially to a Brit because much of the area was part of the Empire, and the historical sites from WWII were well worth visiting, and of course America has huge influence in the history of the area. I'm going back again later this year to see the things I didn't manage to see last time, and if i get chance to meet some fellow nudists, I will do so.

Pete Knight
    Thank you for your feedback, Pete. You seem to be a very well traveled man who knows a lot about different cultures and countries. I am from Egypt myself and people always make the confusion that every Muslim country in the world is as radical as places like Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan. Things are far more relaxed in places like Egypt, and in places like Malaysia it's even more.

I went to Malaysia a couple of months ago for my honeymoon and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. You can hardly even tell that the country is Muslim because of all the different nationalities and faiths that you will come across there. I am not sure about nude recreation there but nude has always been a touchy topic in many countries, not just Malaysia or Egypt.

Comment

Would agree with Pete, but with one caveat: Malaysia does have it's version of the moral police, but they usually only have authority over Muslims. Thus, if someone were to call them in to interrupt a naturist gathering, well, you can guess what will happen. We are much freer than other Middle-Eastern countries, but I think we should still tread with caution.

Comment

Pete

I asked the question about nudity in Malaysia earlier in this thread. Nudist Asia provided me the thoughtful response below.

I stay in the peninsular side of Malaysia where major race here embrace Islam as their faith...so public nudity over here is a big no no..I cannot really confirm about the island of Borneo because I never been there...only know about them from my local geography and history study at school. But I think they have more tolerant towards nudity because Islamic influence over there is not that big.
        He said " I stay in the peninsular side of Malaysia where major race here embrace Islam as their faith...so public nudity over here is a big no no.."

I did not know the situation, and I asked so that I could learn from others.

You on the other hand have formed an opinion of why I asked and reacted.

A thoughtful person, as I have believed you usually are, asks questions first and then reviews the answers before forming a conclusion.

Based on Nudist Asia's response, I was concerned for the reaction of law enforcement or some radical group. Since he lives there, I presume he knows the situation better than a visitor.

Comment

Originally posted by walter05 View Post
          I asked the question about nudity in Malaysia earlier in this thread. Nudist Asia provided me the thoughtful response below.

He said " I stay in the peninsular side of Malaysia where major race here embrace Islam as their faith...so public nudity over here is a big no no.."

I did not know the situation, and I asked so that I could learn from others.

You on the other hand have formed an opinion of why I asked and reacted.

A thoughtful person, as I have believed you usually are, asks questions first and then reviews the answers before forming a conclusion.

Based on Nudist Asia's response, I was concerned for the reaction of law enforcement or some radical group. Since he lives there, I presume he knows the situation better than a visitor.
          If you'd read the two responses to my post you would see that Malaysia isn't as it appears in the over hyped media version of Islamic states that you are spoon fed in the USA, remember, life isn't black or white, there are shades of grey inbetween.

I came to my conclusion as a result of visiting those countries, and I was able to appreciate that, whilst they may not be as laid back as Europe, they are certainly not as uptight as some Middle Eastern countries that are ruled by religion.

If you were to walk naked down a street in a Malaysian town you probably wouldn't be treated any different to how you would be treated if you walked naked down a street in a US bible belt town. Public nudity is a big no, no that would elicit an extreme response from the law enforcers in many parts of the USA.

There is a danger of over generalising when it comes to national attitudes, there is a misconception that Europe is laid back about nudity as a whole, but I can assure you that some parts of Europe are just as uptight about nudisty as some parts of the USA. Your comment "Don't do something that could put your lives in danger." to which I replied was over the top, and may have been true of the most extreme Islamic states, but not all.

I stand by my words.

Pete Knight

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Doodles View Post
            I am not sure about nude recreation there but nude has always been a touchy topic in many countries, not just Malaysia or Egypt.
            True, and in countries where the Catholic faith holds a strong grip there can also be a similar anti nude policy, yet Spain is one of the most liberal and is a pillar of the Catholic faith, but this liberalism is attributed to Spain's release from years of fascist dictatorship, under which Spaniards weren't even allowed to breath without official sanction from Franco's military regime.

Here in England and Wales nudity isn't seen as a heinous crime, but step over the border into draconian Scotland and you'll be sharing a cell with Steve Gough before you can show your ANRR card.

Pete Knight

Comment

Pete

If I were to walk down the streets in Milwaukee nude this time of year, there are two things I could count on.

1) I would be cold.

2) I would be arrested, possibly taken to a jail or a mental facility and get a hearing.

I am confident if I was in Malaysia, if I were arrested that would happen also.

If a radical Christian group in Milwaukee were to be offended, I would probably be shouted down.

However, if a radical Islamic group in another country were offended by my behavior, I am less confident that I would survive it.

I thought the BBC was British and not American. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4232451.stm However, their view is similar to mine.

I agree with you that Malaysia has been and is a relatively modern country with major ethnic and religious groups co-existing.

However, there does seem to be a transition going on. If so or if not, there are strong numbers of more fundamentalist Muslims there.

If there is a public nudist event in Malaysia, I would be concerned with the possibility that one of these radical grups could get violent. In a country where "YOGA" is seen as a major threat and creats controversy, certainly a NUDE event would do so.

We would not want someone to resort to violence to stop such an event.

I am not spoon fed anything. I read media and scholarly outlets in the U.S. Canada, U.K. Australia, and Israel. Candidly, I rely on them because they are in English. I form my own opinions.

I stand by my original statement. I was not sure originally how risky nudist activities could be. Nudist Asia reinforced the idea that there could be some risk. I would recommend caution when attempting to put together a nudist gathering. When human life is potentially at risk, I prefer to be cautious.

Comment

There you go again, with your risk of life statement. Read through the BBC report and you'll see how radically different Islam is in Malaysia, where womens rights have been maintained, unlike in Saudi Arabia where women aren't allowed to drive, have to walk several paces behind their man, and cannot shop alone.

You over state the lifestyle in Malaysia, comparing it with other Islamic states, when there is no comparison to be made. Your statement that:
                If there is a public nudist event in Malaysia, I would be concerned with the possibility that one of these radical grups could get violent. In a country where "YOGA" is seen as a major threat and creats controversy, certainly a NUDE event would do so.
                is erroneous, I've read of reports that Christian fundementalists in the USA have reacted violently to things they consider wrong. I'll be brutally frank here, and I'm sure someone will take issue, but; On this side of the pond we laugh at some of the ridiculas religeous groups you have over there, the Amish, the Mormans and some of those really wierd evangelical churhes that denounce all, until their leader is caught with his pants down with girls young enough to be their grandaughter. If there is anywhere where crazy religieous fundamentalist are found in abundance, it's America.

OK. back to Malaysia, where there was to be a nude protest held over rent increases, does that sound like the fundamentalist Islamic country you're protraying? To suggest that life would be at risk is over playing your hand, you may get some rough treatment at the hands of the police, but death!!!! Again, in America, the land of the free, police beatings are not unknown, take this report of two officers, one fired and the other under investigation by the FBI for beating a transsexual waiting in a court building.

I've been to Kuala Lumpur, and I've been to New York, and let me tell you that both cities have a negative side to them, parts of the city that a filthy, and by contrast the downtown areas with their glass fronted buildings, and Kuala Lumpur boasted the worlds talesst building until it was beaten by the Taipai Tower, which itself is going to be beaten soon. The Petronas Towers are the worlds tallest twin towers, it overlooks beautiful parks and malls that house all the big names in retail.

I never felt threatened once while I was in Malaysia, but I was scared whitless when I found myself in the wrong end of town, and only one block away from Times Square too, liquer stores with glass and steel between customer and bottle, prostitutes standing on street corners, I was amazed.

The point I'm trying to make is that Malaysia isn't as bad as you may think it is, their lifestyle and culture may be different, but it isn't any worse than in modern America.

Anyway, good luck to our Malaysian nudist friends, perhaps one day you might just get together and start the nudist movement in your country, and one day Walter may find himself sunning himself there on vacation.

Nudity in Thailand isn't acceptable culturaly, rather like eating horsemeat in Britain is frowned upon, but is widely accepted in France, not a case of law or religion, just what people are used to. Walter if you do go to Thailand, remember not to show the souls of your feet, that is the worst possible insult, you'd cause a riot, imagine that in America.

Pete Knight

Comment

Pete

As far as the police brutality, those officers are going through the legal system and are being dealt with.

Shortly after 911, I was at Charles DeGaulle Airport. I was changing from a Delta Airlines flight from Atlanta to Paris to an Air France flight to Tel Aviv. When I was going through security, I unzipped a bag to take a laptop out.

Two French police officers took very large, semi-automatic guns and pointed them at my head. They wanted to know what I was doing.

I explained and they said not to take anything out until asked.

Whenever police officers give orders. I follow them. If the police officers overstep their authority or are abusive, I attempt to resolve it later.

There is a mentality needed to protect the rest of us. I never argue or make an issue with a police officer any where.

On this side of the pond we laugh at some of the ridiculas religeous groups you have over there, the Amish, the Mormans and some of those really wierd evangelical churhes that denounce all, until their leader is caught with his pants down with girls young enough to be their grandaughter. If there is anywhere where crazy religieous fundamentalist are found in abundance, it's America.
                  The Amish are incredible. They have strong families and strong values. A lot of us have a lot of respect for them.

The Mormons, spelling correct are also incredible. One of the shameful episodes in American history was how the Mormons were persecuted. They moved to Salt Lake City where they became very strong. Their families are also very strong. They are kind and respectful people.

As far as the Evangelicals. I will admit that I don't like when people attempt to push their beliefs on my family and me. I also disagree with many of their positions.

However, many of them also have very strong families.

People are human and make mistakes. Some of them are clergy. When those clergy have large well known operations, it is very public.

The reason that America has so many religious groups such as Amish, Quakers, Puritans, Jews, etc. is that they were so brutally persecuted in Europe.

In America, we can see people dressed differently with different customs and respect that. Many see the diversity of America and see that as our weakness. That diversity and the way we are constantly working to learn to get along with greater respect for each other is America's strength.

Comment

Just a friendly note...this thread is about nudism in Malaysia. It's good that there's discussion, but try not to let it get out of topic.

Comment

Yeah...its nice of guys sharing your knowledge & perceptions about Malaysia.

But, I'd have to agree with K_Rio that we mustn't stray off topic.

Regardless of whatever it is...you've got to come to Malaysia to actually experience it.

Kunjuman...brilliant idea...let's start compiling a sort of Malaysian nudist list before we actually carry on with our proposed gathering

Comment

Hi Bro...looks like the list just stopped there. Hope you could work out a magic to keep this spirit going since you are the most profilic here. Any ideas so that nobody really abuse the info that we are going to give remains confidential. Hope the group expands......

Comment

Nude in SE Asia

I hope you guys get something sorted out for when I next visit SE Asia, I'd like to meet up with a group next time I'm in the area. Wouldn't it be great if somewhere on the Malaya Peninsula could be set aside for nude recreation.

Pete Knight

Comment

Nudist site

In 2006 I enjoyed some nude time on a little island in Datai Bay , Langkawi.

We were staying at the Datai Hotel, and took a surf ski over the bay to a small Island where I wandered around naked (out of view from the two resorts on the bay). There were some monkeys on the island - they might have been a little surprised at the sight of a hairless ape wandering around their island picking up shells, but didn't complain to me, and I knew they weren't going to tell anyone else!

It was a wonderful time - opportunities to relax in the hotel spa with a massage, outdoor showers and a beautiful flower bath on a deck overlooking a small creek - magic!

Rob

Comment

Hi guys..... why no respond from our Malaysian nudists? Everybody so quiet...... or people are just scared to be free & naked... We have to organise a non-nude get together 1st... so that each & everyone knows the members before we go into nudisme..... Hope can shred some ideas here.... Bronudist???

Comment

Kunjuman...you know well how some Malaysians are. When it is time to get together there are always plenty of excuses on time constraint, being busy with work, etc., etc...

I am willing to work out something for us, provided everyone is able to attend & make it work.

I would be in KL at the end of April to early May for a tournament but, I could probably fly in a bit earlier so that we all could meet up.

Comment

Working...
                                X