X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naked in the UK:
    (... lots of good observations ... snip-snip)

If only they had places like this in England. It would be great to visit one each week to relax nude. Instead all we get here are these pathetic seedy "naturist health Spas" which are dominated by perverts and swingers( and a mostly male clientelle. Never ever again will I pay to visit those places again
    Hi Naked-in-the-UK,

Having lived in Germany AND the UK, I can only agree and your post summarises it very well - great post!! Yes the difference in attitude/culture is astounding. Only then you realise what you are missing out on when living in the UK, and in fact many if not most other countries! Yes, these towels are SOOOOO silly.

Wrt to the UK, it seems you refer to Rio's and Bristor Gardens. I am only familiar with the former, but you can't really take places like that serious. But you could check out Elixer naturist healt spa in the north of London, I think they could be a bit better? Haven't been there since Rio's was such off-putting that I have given up at once. (don't live in the UK anymore anyway). Of course it doesn't help that the girly-naturist magazine H&E promotes a far mor sexual then
    anything else image of naturism, which isn't doing any good. The sooner they drop the hilarous ads for naturist massages (yeah!), erection pills, and drop the "page-3" photos from CharlieS and put or more well balanced mix of couples/groups instead of full-sized very young and attractive ladies on the front cover, there is hope. But until then yes better take a flight to germany :-)

Comment

Hi Naturist4Ever.

Glad you agree and liked my posting about the German saunas. They really are great. A million light years better than the saunas here in the UK.

As for that Elixir Naturist Health Spa in North London. I remember reading some reviews of it somewhere. I don't recall reading that it has the same problems of perverts, swingers, and whathaveyou using that place. Though I do remember reading that it is a very quiet place. You could well be in there with only a few other people. Indeed, I'm sure one reviewer said that there was only one other visitor there on the evening that he/she went. Which is a bit weird. A bit too quiet for my liking. It's cheaper than Rio's and Bristol Gardens, as it's only 12. Though this only allows you to stay for up to 3 hours. I may try it one day perhaps.

But to be honest, I think I'll be happy to just make do with a few short breaks to Germany every year to make use of their saunas, and the excellent nude saunas that are here in the UK at music festivals.

Off to Berlin yet again in just 2 and a half months time!

Comment

I have two recommendations for you in Holland. I have also been to the Europa Center in Berlin, so I can compare. In The Hague in the beachside community (and I will probably spell this wrong) of Scheveningen you will find the Vitalizee spa/sauna next to the Stegenberger Kurhaus hotel. Large, many types of saunas, including one filled with snow (not a sauna of course), co-ed very large and nice changing rooms. You will not be dissapointed.

Second in about six miles or so outside Rotterdam called Elysium. website is www.elysium.nl It just plain doesn't get any better than this facility. Seems to be about 5 acres out in the country of gardens, separate buildings for various themed saunas, indoor and outdoor restaurants,all the facilities of a spa such as massage, facials, beauty treatments, body wraps. Small co-ed changing rooms. I would say a 60/40 ratio of women to men. Lots of Dutch couples. People generally wear robes in restaurants or when walking from place to place, largely because you want to keep track of your stuff and are supposed to sit on a towel when in the sauna (no towel in steam bath or rhasul rooms) You can wander around naked as much as you want outside and no one will notice. I spent the whole day there and really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Naturist4Ever
          Of course it doesn't help that the girly-naturist magazine H&E promotes a far mor sexual then
          anything else image of naturism, which isn't doing any good. The sooner they drop the hilarous ads for naturist massages (yeah!), erection pills, and drop the "page-3" photos from CharlieS and put or more well balanced mix of couples/groups instead of full-sized very young and attractive ladies on the front cover, there is hope.
          I agree entirely with that statement, and another place to watch out for is the Blue Lagoon in Dagenham, it advertises itself as a naturist spa, but thats a front for a swingers venue, this of course isn't good for the image of naturism.

Pete Knight

Comment

There is a major problem with mixed nude saunas and it is called single men. If there are too many of them then the women disappear. This is global problem. Please take this in account where ever you are and avoid this.

Comment

Germany

One nice thing I've noticed in German saunas is that not only singles and couples are going, but also mixed groups of friends and families.
              Relaxed...

Comment

Originally posted by traveling View Post
                I have two recommendations for you in Holland. I have also been to the Europa Center in Berlin, so I can compare. In The Hague in the beachside community (and I will probably spell this wrong) of Scheveningen you will find the Vitalizee spa/sauna next to the Stegenberger Kurhaus hotel. Large, many types of saunas, including one filled with snow (not a sauna of course), co-ed very large and nice changing rooms. You will not be dissapointed.

Second in about six miles or so outside Rotterdam called Elysium. website is www.elysium.nl It just plain doesn't get any better than this facility. Seems to be about 5 acres out in the country of gardens, separate buildings for various themed saunas, indoor and outdoor restaurants,all the facilities of a spa such as massage, facials, beauty treatments, body wraps. Small co-ed changing rooms. I would say a 60/40 ratio of women to men. Lots of Dutch couples. People generally wear robes in restaurants or when walking from place to place, largely because you want to keep track of your stuff and are supposed to sit on a towel when in the sauna (no towel in steam bath or rhasul rooms) You can wander around naked as much as you want outside and no one will notice. I spent the whole day there and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for those recommendations. That Elysium place looks brilliant. Which having a look on their website, the place is stunningly decorated. I like sauna centres which are all decorated out nicely inside, much more than just your bog standard sauna cabins. The Blub sauna in Berlin is very much like this, as is Sauna Deco and Sauna Van Egmond in Holland too looking at those websites.

My upcoming short trip to Amsterdam within two or three months time, I plan to visit two saunas whilst there. Definitely Sauna Deco as that's right in Amsterdam city centre. And the other will be either Sauna Van Egmond in Haarlem, or that Elysium place near Rotterdam you mentioned. The one place I don't get round to visiting on this occasion, I can visit on another future trip.

Tell me, is it easy to get to Elysium by public transport from Rotterdam train station? Thanks.

Comment

Recommendations please...

Hi,

time to time I visit Riga. Once during summer time I visited Vecaki and enjoyed much. But it is hard to find any sauna where nudist people relax during winter time.

I would be thankfull if you recommed any place to come.

Thanks in advance,

Juo

Comment

Re: mixed nude sauna

I have often used saunas nude in Spain and the Spanish islands, - Formentera and the Canary islands. German and other european holiday makers expect nudity in the sauna as the norm

Comment

The Germanic countries are your best bet and the ones I have experience with.

Comment

Somebody needs to delete the post from choizolla it is inappropiate on this forum!

Comment

I visited the Kaiser-Friedrich-Therme (thermal spa) in Wiesbaden Germany recently and had a very good time.
                          The literature states that it was built in 1913. But had been used since Roman times as a spa.

Close by in a public square is a hot fountain with a temperature of 66 degrees C. Reminded me of the thermal springs of yellowstone.

Comment

Originally posted by Flybare II View Post
                            I visited the Kaiser-Friedrich-Therme (thermal spa) in Wiesbaden Germany recently and had a very good time.
                            The literature states that it was built in 1913. But had been used since Roman times as a spa.
                            I have been there. It is super, lovely old building with lots of character. And natural thermal springs, hence the fountain outside. And mandatory nudity. One day is 'ladies day' but all others are mixed.

If you prefer modern there is also a large swimming complex in Wiesbaden which has a large sauna section. As is usual in Germany this is nude and mixed (except for the one 'ladies day' - different day to the Kaiser-Friedrich-Therme).

Comment

Thermen Europa in Berlin and Therme Erding in Munich are both excellent. Many good saunas in the Netherlands- would say the best is Van Egmond in Haarlem.

Comment

I have been to two upscale European hotels with mixed saunas.

In Budapest most everybody was nude. There was also a "relaxation" room in which most people wore a robe, but I was able to lie on my towel fully nude with no problems, although I was the only one. What was really great was that the attendant was almost always female, and you had to walk right by the front desk to get to the water cooler, or to get a clean towel. The changing rooms were segregated, but most prople never bothered to close the door. There were 3 showers, one in each changing room and a community one next to the sauna.

In Bucharest they had a rule that swim suits had to be worn everywhere. I noticed real quick that everybody had suits on, and when I asked whether they were required, I got a real strange look from the attendant (who spoke fairly good English, so I think she understood my question completely). When I further noted that "some places require suits and some do not", she looked at me like I was crazy or something. This was a real bummer; the scene was little different from what you get in the US.

Comment

Working...
                                X