Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't there more naturism in Virginia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't there more naturism in Virginia?

Nudity is not illegal in VA. The state's indecent exposure law requires "obscene" intent. The courts have repeatedly ruled that obscenity is required. Yet there are no popular, well publicized nude recreation areas on public lands - that I've found. VA has great areas for nude recreation. There's remote beaches along the Atlantic, there's rivers, there's mountains. But where's VA's Haulover? Where's VA's Playalinda?

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I'm pretty handy with Google, but I can't find anything. AANR-East is useless; their site only mentions resorts & clubs. There's no mention of public lands or legal issues on their site (that I could find).

Maybe naturism is widespread but low key. Maybe there's people canuding and free hiking and sunbathing all over the place with little need to congregate. But that doesn't sound right. Maybe the non-landed clubs keep the public land sites secret for their members.

Or maybe people in the USA don't care about nude recreation. Maybe naturists are a teeny-tiny minority.
    Last edited by jasenj; 04-27-2014, 06:23 PM.

Originally posted by jasenj View Post
    Maybe naturism is widespread but low key.
    It may be widespread. It definitely is low-key.

Maybe there's people canuding and free hiking and sunbathing all over the place with little need to congregate. But that doesn't sound right. Maybe the non-landed clubs keep the public land sites secret for their members.
    There is no big, hush-hush top secret conspiracy. However, nude recreation participants may not bang the drums publicly about places they might go. You might try linking up with those non-landed clubs, and join them for their activities.

My wife and I are members of non-landed clubs -- YES -- we do keep our rented locations somewhat of a secret -- neither we, nor the facility hosting us want unwelcome intruders, nor do we want to draw public attention to where we're congreating.

Or maybe people in the USA don't care about nude recreation. Maybe naturists are a teeny-tiny minority.
    Yes to both statements.. We are a teeny-tiny minority and most people don't care one way or the other about nude recreation.

Up near the capital area (DC) there are two non-landed clubs. If you were to get involved with those groups you'd probably learn more about activities in Virginia. Of course, there is a park - a large one - White Tail Park - in Ivor, down near the NC state line.

Over in Maryland there's a very large nudist park - one of the biggest and oldest in the country - Pine Tree Associates. If you and your wife were to spend a weekend there you would undoubtedly meet other Virginians there as well, who may know more about the scene than I do, or what is listed on the AANR and TNS pages.

These bulletin boards provide a lot of info but since there likely aren't too many Virginians here, you may just have to go where the Virginian nudists go to learn more. At the risk of ticking off people here - remember, there aren't a lot of recreational nudists and social nudists on this board.

Comment

You're probably right. Joining a non-landed club would be a way to find out where the secret swimming holes and beaches. But my question is more why isn't naturism more public, bolder? I was a member of a nude boating group for awhile, and they would gather in various places; it wasn't particularly secretive, but you needed to know the right way to find the info.

Part of the problem may be that even though the state does not criminalize mere nudity, localities can - and do. Virginia Beach, for example, has and ordinance against mere nudity, and another specifically for nude swimming.

Comment

Virginia is slow to change and people here are often scared of anything that falls outside of a nice little box that, to them, seems "ok." I've lived here all my life and asked the same questions you're asking now. Maybe it just takes people like you to make nude recreation more popular. :-)

Comment

We have lived in the greater mid-Atlantic region for a long time, and in fact, I fear things ARE changing - but not for the better. There used to be a traditional nude use area out on Assateague Island (stretching south from the Maryland coastline), but I think political pressure caused rangers to crack down on nudity in that region about ten years ago, and that was that. Seems there have been similar developments in and around Delaware, so I'm not surprised at all it it's even more so in Virginia.

Seems I have read about a group named the Capital Bares that organize some naturist excursions, and there's also Avalon in WV that has a bit of a wilderness feel, with a few possibilities for short hikes as well.

Good luck!

Comment

Believe me, here in the Shenandoah Valley you COULD find places to go nude...problem is, you'd have to do it WITHOUT the authorities knowing about it.
            ​There's just no PUBLIC place(s) to find. Used to be an AANR member up until 2013: let it lapse, sadly.
            ​Truth is, I wouldn't mind finding some people into nudism/naturism. Alas...

Comment

Working...
            X

Fatal error: Uncaught Database error in vBulletin 5.2.0: Invalid SQL: /** saveDbCache */REPLACE INTO cacheevent (cacheid, event) values ('getSearchResults_3827f7fee2bbea557dfa19007e63e720','perms_changed'), ('getSearchResults_3827f7fee2bbea557dfa19007e63e720','vB_ChannelStructure_chg'), ('getSearchResults_3827f7fee2bbea557dfa19007e63e720','vB_SearchResults_chg_0'), ('getSearchResults_3827f7fee2bbea557dfa19007e63e720','nodeChg_543247'), ('vBPage_cd0f06e89b286bf906644a10b6cdb4f8_1','vbCachedFullPage'), ('vbPre_conversation104.90.36.543247',''); MySQL Error : Duplicate entry 'getSearchResults_3827f7fee2bbea557dfa19007e63e720-nodeChg_543247' for key 'PRIMARY' Error Number : 1062 Request Date : Wednesday, May 24th 2017 @ 08:16:57 PM Error Date : Wednesday, May 24th 2017 @ 08:16:58 PM Script : http:///forum/location-rooms/united-states-locations/543247-why-isn-t-there-more-naturism-in-virginia Referrer : IP Address : 107.22.106.136 Username : Guest Classname in /home/clothes/public_html/core/vb/database.php on line 1255