X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nude Snorkeling & SCUBA

I have never gone nude on a SCUBA dive except in a swimming pool. I have snorkeled nude in the sea, but not recently. I hope I'll have another opportunity in the not too distant future. I enjoy snorkeling more than SCUBA and I think snorkeling makes for a better nudist experience as you don't have to wear any equipment between your face mask and swim fins.

I remember snorkeling nude at Orient Beach in Saint Martin. As I swam past a boat anchored in the bay, I saw a barracuda hanging out in the shadow of the boat's hull. I was a little bit concerned regarding whether any of my appendages would be viewed as tempting bait. I was reminded of this by today's photo.

Re: Nude Snorkeling & SCUBA

That is funny because as a Scuba & Snorkeler I was thinking the same issue with the appendage when I saw the pic. I think it is ok from barracuda's as long as you don't put anything shiny on it. Jewelry would be bad idea. Never done it nude though, but definitely on my list.

Comment

I have done it on a dive from a nudist resort - what a way to dive, leave dive and return nude. awesome

Comment

I started snorkeling nude while staying at the Fontane Bianche Hotel in Fontane Bianche just south of Siracusa, Sicily on business for 2 to 3 weeks. My favorite technique is to lie on an air mattress with my snorkeled face off the end of the mattress. I'd often be just on the fringe of the non-nudist (main beach area) area. I'd start off the rocks to the right of the main beach but would drift down near the main beach crowd. No one ever objected.

One day during the week the FB Beach changed into an all nude one. I had a late afternoon flight; so, I didn't work that day. I really hated to leave when I did.

Comment

A couple of years ago I hiked out to a remote pond in Maine with my equipment and did some nude snorkeling. It was a great afternoon.

Comment

i would really like to find a resort that offers naked scuba diving. ive dived
            in the florida keys and in Lake Irie here in ohio but havnt had the chance to try it nude

rikki

Comment

i wish i can do this someday

Comment

My wife & I have snorkelled nude in Bonaire. There's a catamaran called the Woodwind which runs a nude cruise every Monday afternoon, with about an hour's nude snorkelling at some of the most beautiful marine sites. It's a great feeling - really liberating.

Comment

I used to SCUBA. I found I didn't enjoy it much. There is too much time wasted messing around with equipment. There also is always the fear of having an accident. I met a young man who was partially paralyzed as the result of an accident while taking a SCUBA class at a resort outside the United States. I find snorkeling much more enjoyable. To me, the most interesting stuff underwater is near the surface in rocky coves. I can entertain myself all afternoon by diving down to smash urchins and then watching the fish zoom in to eat the remains.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wife and I are both divers. We haven’t tried it nude, but I don’t think she would like the BC against her bare breasts. We may do nude snorkeling though or a hookah rig so we don’t have to wear the equipment. The appendages also concern me. The idea of a barracuda or even a nibbling parrot fish finding it appealing doesn’t sit well with me.

Comment

Originally posted by DSailing View Post
                      The appendages also concern me. The idea of a barracuda or even a nibbling parrot fish finding it appealing doesn’t sit well with me.
                      Question: how often do the nibbling parrot fish and barracuda's nip at fingers and toes? Seems like they'd be just as much at risk. (OK, your toes are protected when wearing fins.)

Comment

I've snorkeled nude quite a few times. The only problem I've ever had was a painful sunburn the day I forgot to apply sunscreen to my exposed cheeks. Sitting down was a bit painful the next couple of days. Never had any appendages bothered.

Comment

I have SCUBAed many time naked on Mexican coasts both West and East. We never had any issues, but the stinging coral is an issue! You will want to steer clear of that with your male parts not to mention Jellyfish. You keep an eye out you'll have no issues. Fish don't bite off your fingers or nibble at your swim fins, right?

I would not recommend waring a sliver coloured **** ring or piercings on your privates. That could really be attracting the wrong attention. Once it happens it is too late. (Perhaps a tattoo of a moire eel? Naw that would look like an earth worm on me.)

Comment

I started diving with a resort certification while I was at Eden Bay (now Caliente Caribe) in the Dominican Republic. The open water portion was out of Rio San Juan and I was nude. I've gone in the nude at least once on every return trip to the DR. I'll agree that not every dive should be done nude but it is something to be tried at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by DSailing View Post
                              Wife and I are both divers. We haven’t tried it nude, but I don’t think she would like the BC against her bare breasts. We may do nude snorkeling though or a hookah rig so we don’t have to wear the equipment. The appendages also concern me. The idea of a barracuda or even a nibbling parrot fish finding it appealing doesn’t sit well with me.
                              I had bought a harness system that allowed me to SCUBA without a BC. It was great for walking around on the bottom of the pool, but I don't think I would do an open water dive with it. Some of the newer BCs have the air bladders in the back and just straps at the front and sides. That might make a diver feel a bit less like an underwater pack mule.

I like the idea of the hookah rig. I've seen others using them, but I've never tried it myself. The hookah rigs that I've seen advertised all feature compressors that ride in a raft on the surface. I've heard of homemade hookah rigs that are simply standard dive tanks that stay in the boat and are connected to the divers via long hoses. It seems it would be a lot cheaper than a compressor driven hookah rig. I have never seen such a system offered commercially.

I have one more thought on this subject. Diving without a wet suit is fine as long as you stay above the thermocline. Most of the places I've dived have a thermocline somewhere between 20 feet and 40 feet. It gets real cold below that depth.
                              Last edited by Mosquito_Bait; 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X