Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nude Yoga catching on

Things to do Nude blog found an article on Nude Yoga:
    Mind, Body, Relaxation, Nudity. They all go together nicely.

Re: Nude Yoga catching on

I think one should say

"I'm doing yoga nude"

rather than

'I'm doing nude yoga"

(as far as my command of English lets me understand).

What I find strange, anyway, is doing yoga clothed...

Comment

Now I have never done Yoga, but it only makes sense to do it in the nude and free of restraint.

Comment

I've found several articles on nude yoga and most didn't sound all that positive, especially readers' comments. There are some poses that would leave most people feeling very exposed. Some of the studios featuring it are either sexualizng it or incorporating it into some weird kind of primal therapy or something. I've heard that many diehard yogis and prominent teachers consider nude yoga almost an abominatino.

Just the same, I've heard of several nudists who are also yoga instructors who conduct nude yoga classes and they're very sensitive to the "exposure" problem.

I've only recently begun to practice yoga. The class I attend is, of course, fully clothed, but I do occasionally do my home practice in the nude. So far I haven't seen much difference between practicing nude and clothed but I'm still new to yoga and still concentrating on learning the asanas and prana.

I think the term, "doing yoga in the nud" sounds better than "nude yoga" which makes it sound like it's a totally different type of yoga. The style you practice doesn't change, you're just doing it nude.

Comment

I practice hatha yoga, and often, the studios would be a little too cool for me to want to go naked. On the other hand, Bikram Yoga is practiced in a room between 95 & 100 degrees (F), to get you to sweat out the toxins in your body. I wouldn't consider doing that clothed, but nude would be great.

Comment

I have seen advertisements for Yoga classes that are held sans clothing about an hour drive from where I live. I have tried Yoga a few times using Wii Fit (don't laugh!) and from what little I know of this form of excercise, it seems that nude would be the best way to do it. I may give it a go next time I firw-up the Wii Fit.

Comment

I agree that when alone, being nude for yoga is nice. In a class, no way would I ever go nude! Topless, yes, but never bottomless. Yoga is relaxing and worrying about how certain body parts are exposed in some poses is certainly not relaxing. I have been in many yoga classes on nude cruises. Out of about 20 people, maybe one (always a man) might be bottomless. That is even a bit uncomfortable for me.

Comment

I am a man and have done nude yoga at naturist gatherings. For me nude is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by CA-AZ View Post
                  ...Yoga is relaxing and worrying about how certain body parts are exposed in some poses is certainly not relaxing...
                  Just curious what postures you would find problematic? The only one I can think of offhand is the "Shooting Bow" pose, but then only a concern for the yoga teacher in front of the class. Usually everybody is looking the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by CA-AZ View Post
                    I agree that when alone, being nude for yoga is nice. In a class, no way would I ever go nude! Topless, yes, but never bottomless. Yoga is relaxing and worrying about how certain body parts are exposed in some poses is certainly not relaxing. I have been in many yoga classes on nude cruises. Out of about 20 people, maybe one (always a man) might be bottomless. That is even a bit uncomfortable for me.
                    I guess it all depends on your level of comfort with being naked. I have taken a "naked yoga" class in NYC. This was a co-ed class conducted by a woman who calls herself "Isis". It was held in midtown near Rockefeller Center. There is another class held in Chelsea by another group which specifically is geared towards gay men, although the leader states that "everyone is welcome".

At the class I was at there were about 18 men and 2 women. The poses were of the moderate to advanced nature, and frankly I was unable to perform some of the more difficult asanas simply because of my arthritis. I do yoga to help keep that wolf at bay.

Isis was very understanding and very helpful. Overall the class was a terrific experience.

As far as any embarassment goes; well, personally I don't get embarassed over nudity; but it seemed that everyone was so involved in concentrating on doing the asanas correctly that you barely noticed the individual right next to you, much less the rest of the room.

I did note that one of the women, who was there with her husband/boyfriend did seem a bit embarassed from her demeanor; but she seemed to be the only one.
                    Well she was in the last row and I guess downward dog might have been a bit too revealing for her. :-)

I found doing yoga sans clothing very refreshing. I didn't have a pile of sweaty clothing afterwards, just a profusely sweaty body which two towels made quick work of.

I think it makes eminent sense to do yoga in the nude.

Z

Comment

I have been practicing yoga for years but the class is clothed. I do practice yoga at home always nude. It is the best way to do the asanas in my opinion. It feels free and natural. It would not bother me to participate in a nude yoga class no matter what the pose. I do not know how one could execute the asanas correctly while be concerned about their or other class members' exposure. Those that are so self conconscious probably are not focusing and frankly, I think they kind of miss the point of yoga. It is not just physical but I like it for the concentration it brings the student. I had never thought about the aspect of one being so open or exposed while doing yoga until I read it in this thread. Then again I try my best not to think about such possibilities and just enjoy the fun of doing the art.

Comment

Homenudist brought up a good point. Everyone should be focusnig on the asanas, not the other students. In my traditional class, I'm hardly aware of other students because my focus is on my breathing and moving through the poses. About the only time I'll glance over at another student is when I'm having trouble wth a pose and I look next to me to see if I can see something that I'm missing in my pose.

If you think about poses that might be too revealing, there are a number of them but if your focus is correct, you shouldn't be thinking of that or noticing it in others.

When I practice at home, I sometimes practice nude or clothed. It depends on who's around or where I'm doing my practice.

Comment

I've been practicing yoga for the last couple of years and, as a newbie nudie, I thought I'd check out if they offered nude yoga in Vancouver. I was extremely surprised to find that the only nude yoga classes are held mostly for men because there weren't much female interest! From a city where there are numerous yoga classes to choose from it's mind boggling that none of them happen to be held in the nude! I'll have to make a mental note to keep my eye out for any news on up-coming female/co-ed nude yoga classes... wow Vancouver - really?!

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...6-48774d7a7f3b

Comment

There's a men's nude yoga in San Diego that I've attended. It has been a very positive experience. The instructor and participants are all very friendly. The instructor is extremely patient and gives us new guys the extra attention we need so we perform the poses correctly to minimize injury. Not having the restriction of clothing makes the moves much more comfortable. Being naked, I was able to stay a lot cooler as an added bonus too!
                            At first I thought I would feel very self conscious doing poses nude. I quickly realized other participants are concentrating on following directions and I no longer felt awkward not knowing what I was doing. If you have a chance to try this I recommend it.

Comment

I would love to have a class where one can be nude. In the mean time I use a taped yoga lesson at home and always practice nude. My regular yoga class is textile but still a great way to increase my flexiblilty.

Comment

Working...
                              X