"Way of Life Nudist" vs "Hobby Nudist"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Way of Life Nudist" vs "Hobby Nudist"

I'm "way of life" because I believe in the positive benefits of naturism for physical, mental, and emotional well being.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanman View Post
      I'm "way of life" because I believe in the positive benefits of naturism for physical, mental, and emotional well being.
      And how!

Have you seen someone that comes in from a stressful day, strips off their clothes and "that look" they had when they walked in...disappears from their face and they begin to relax (physical), destress (mental) and smile (emotional well being) ! Huh....I just described my wife!

Comment

Originally posted by FireProf View Post
        It's not a bad thing to talk about or discuss some of this stuff...some of you feel the need to down play , degrade or question the importance of the discussion. If you don't like it...don't participate but.....WHY come to a discussion you don't care for and throw cold water on it just because you don't like it or agree with it?
        Originally posted by NudeAl View Post
        Seriously folks this is just for fun right? Are we now so PC we are afraid to have a little discussion here? The day that we are so PC we can't is the day I check out of this forum.
        If you are referring to me (and, I'm not sure that you are), I just want to say that I meant no malice. I am just presenting another perspective. So, that's "throwing cold water" on a subject?

I read the comments several times before I posted, and I can honestly say that I don't feel I fit into either category presented. Why must it be so black and white?

Speaking strictly for myself, if I regard nudity as normal, I do NOT spend time analyzing how many hours and under what circumstances I am nude, and then apply a label to myself. I'm just nude because it feels good. I just AM.

I'm sure there are many other people who feel this way.

I am not implying what should or shouldn't be discussed. Geeze guys, why are people so quick to take offense? Why must we always march in lock step here?

Doing that doesn't promote discussion either.

Comment

As for whether or not asking the question is "over thinking", remember the context in which this question arose. If your nudism is bumping up against your marriage (or any other important aspect of your life), you need to decide how important nudism is to you, and that may require some significant thought and introspection. This is a very practical reason for giving this question some thought, but for some, self-understanding is valuable for its own sake.

Comment

Obviously, the questions is going to evoke different sentiments and responses, because everyone has a different perspective on what nudism means to them.

I have my own perspective; and I might as well share it.

A nudist "hobbyist" is specific about how, when and where nudism is practiced. If I go to the nude beach every week-end or twice a month, I am reserving a set amount of my time to nude recreation. If I have a reluctant spouse, I am more likely to be a "hobbyist" because of restrictions placed on when I can be nude. Many nudists are hobbyist not by choice; some are because they only want to enjoy nudism in specific situations. Some nudists are nude only in their backyard and pool, others only at the nude beach or resort, as well as the "after-hours" home nudists. Many different variations.

A nudist "way of lifer" is more dedicated to being nude; not just as much as possible, but in as many settings as possible. The "way of life" nudist generally desires to surround him/herself with other nudists in order to facilitate a broad range of nudist experiences. The WOL nudist is that person who is nearly always nude at home, and can be found every week-end in nudist company. Many of them have a secondary residence at the resort, or serve as a chair/board member there.

In my experience, a large percentage of nudists fall under the "hobby" category. Many also fall somewhere in between the two. WOL nudists are more rare. Because few people have the dedication required to truly incorporate nudity in almost all aspects of their lives.
            I've always found WOL nudists truly inspiring. One friend fit that definition. Nude at home 24/7: check. Chair member of the resort she belonged to: check. Summer vacations at nudist locations: check. Nude in clothed company (where/when it was tolerated): check. She was the kind of person who would just wear a sarong when heading out to the resort so she could spend as little time as possible wearing anything at all. Everyone at the resort knew her and her family and friends had rarely seen her dressed. Now that is dedication.

But this is just my perspective, based on my observations over the years...And even I take this very, very lightly.

Comment

I can...but won't take this thread in a direction it shouldn't go. What I do see is that many, many times a thread is started for fun and some members have to make an arguement out of the tread..."Why is this important?" "Why is there yet another thread on this subject?" "Does it really matter what kinda nudist you are?" "I am completely puzzled by the mental gymnastics people go through to label themselves. Why is it necessary?"

Thes types of questions about the thread only make it more difficult for new members and lurkers to get involved in the conversations on message boards.

That's it...enough soap boxin' for me....have a nice conversation! I'll peek in to Moderator only!

Comment

FireProf, I agree such conversational behavior has the real potential to inhibit open communication and I think it does. But there is some value in it because, in addition to what can be learned from the content of the many discussions here, one can also gain some valuable insight into human nature, even at times our own. And while it isn't always pleasant, we can sometimes learn something valuable from seeing it.

Comment

I think some are taking my original post a tad bit too personally and seriously. The purpose of creating the thread was to facilitate a discussion about nudism and how people practice it. It was not meant to form labels or place labels on others. In fact, the two terms I created (way of life and hobby nudist) aren't to be taken seriously and are purely subjective. The term can be interpreted and defined differently by others and that is the purpose of this thread.

There is nothing wrong with being a "way of life" or "hobby nudist" and one isn't better than the other. We all live our nudist life how we see fit and how we are able to despite restrictive circumstances we may not be able to control. Many of us are somewhere in between WOL and HN. In fact, I see myself as somewhere in between as well. Although I am nude when home and participate in social activities in the summer, I am nude when possible and practical. I don't seek out every opportunity to be nude and being nude isn't a "necessity" but if the environment allows me without any problems, I choose to be nude.

To that end, there is no need to take this thread personally or be bothered or offended.

Comment

I've been "smacked around" a little when someone brought up "clothing-optional" and I offered my personal definition on what it can mean and/or can be practiced. My definition was found to be unnecessary and redundant. And I can't be mad at my detractor; because he wasn't entirely wrong. His perspective on "clothing-optional" was the simplicity of choosing the amount of clothing worn. No more no less.

In my buddhist circle of practionners, we sometimes have a little fun with defining our practice. Are we Buddhists or meditators? What if we don't meditate daily, yet recite sutras? What if we never go to a Zendo and just practice at home? We have fun with it and never take it seriously. BUT it is a good opportunity to compare/contrast our practice of Buddhism with others and discuss differences in approaches. Some things can even be learned through these discussions. The same can be accomplished here if we just keep our minds and ears (oops...eyes) open.

Comment

Originally posted by Croydon View Post
                      So here is the question, what is your definition of a "way of life nudist" and a "hobby nudist", which one are you, and how do you practice either one?
                      This question started a conversation and Iíve commented on the conversation, but I havenít tried to answer the question itself. Most of the answers to this point seemed to differentiate between ďway of life nudistĒ and ďhobby nudistĒ based on the amount of time spent nude. That is, way of lifers spend most of their time nude while hobby nudists are only occasionally nude. Thatís one way of looking at it. But for me, the difference between the two depends on oneís approach to nudism, that is, what it means to you. Regardless of how much time one spends nude, if a person views nudism as no more than a fun and relaxing way to be, Iíd say that person is a hobby nudist. If on the other hand, nudism is a practice that enhances feelings of physical and spiritual well being, Iíd say thatís probably a way of life nudist.

Based on that, I consider myself a way of lifer. I feel physically better without clothes and thatís fairly common, but Iím not just talking about the comfort of not being constrained. Uncovered, I think the bodyís senses, all of them, are in an enhanced state, increasing the perceived connectedness to the world and life around us. Nakedness immerses you, without any barriers, in all the sensory inputs from your environment. I feel nudity is a health enhancer. I believe itís physically beneficial for the skin to be able to breathe across the entire body, without having its access to fresh air interfered with by coverings. A way of lifer can also detect the sublime feeling that comes from having the bodyís energy field free of foreign objects. And if part of your spiritual intent is to live as fearlessly, openly, freely and honestly as possible, being naked is the ideal physical representation of this intent, and a most appropriate spiritual practice for nurturing these ideals. If youíre a way of life nudist and social, being naked with others is a manifestation of fearlessness, openness, honesty, freedom, goodwill and mutual comfort. Naked together, weíre seen unhidden, as God created us, without our man made decorations and deceptions. Our oneness becomes obvious. The illusion of separateness fades. Itís the perfect metaphor for our shared humanity.

If all that sounds a little goofy and over the top to you, then you might be a hobby nudist.

Comment

Does everything have to be categorised?

Comment

Said lightly, but one of the great thing I find about nudists, is that they don't put labels on anything or generally speaking. However, following the thread, I suppose I fall somewhere in the middle of "way of life" and "hobby" nudist. I would definitely be a "way of life" and hope to be so some day. However, I am almost always nude at home, love socializing nude (belong to a meet up group), and in warm months, definitely spend as many days as possible at my favorite nude spots in Vermont, etc. Nonetheless, it is an interesting point to ponder.

Comment

It's harder to wear labels when you're naked.

Comment

I believe I get the point of the thread. It's not about labels its just how you see your self living the life relative to others, and it is an interesting point. I am kinda on again and off again here and some of it is because I don't see myself as obsessed with being nude as I see many here are. No, nothing wrong with that, and I am not one to judge. I certainly enjoy being nude to the point of having company over to enjoy our pool and me being the only one sans clothes, but I don't see it as something I have to do. It could be that I can be naked more often then I am since the wife is ok with home nudity and there is no kids to worry about. Others may seem obsessed to me because they have to make a lot of plans to get opportunities to enjoy it. I don't know. I am more a hobbyist, I suppose and I am content with visiting the resort couple times a year and enjoying the backyard. The wife has at least made an effort to go so it is what it is, though I hope maybe this summer we can meet another couple or 2 enjoy it with us, but I am not gonna worry about it either way.

Comment

By your definition I am a 'hobby nudist' as it is when visiting beaches, spas or saunas. Someone I know termed it 'wet naturist'.

Comment

Working...
                                X