X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Way of Life Nudist" vs "Hobby Nudist"

I was participating in the "Thrown for a loss by reluctant spouse" thread and came across an interesting thought. Tinhfwv, made an excellent point about the discourse of a spouse reluctance to nudism can be different for those who see nudism as a way of life and those who practice it as a form of a hobby.

I then replied by creating the term "way of life nudists" and "hobby nudists". To me, a lifestyle nudist is one who practices nudism in his/her every day life: consistently a home nudism, sleeps in nude, and partake in social nudism. A "hobby" nudist is the occasional nude beach goer and practices nudism once in a while.

So here is the question, what is your definition of a "way of life nudist" and a "hobby nudist", which one are you, and how do you practice either one?

Re: "Way of Life Nudist" vs "Hobby Nudist"

Then there are those who are "way of lifestyle nudists" who cannot practice everyday, so would they be considered "hobby nudists"? As much as I would love to live the life 24/7, conditions do not permit me to exercise that option. I'm sure there are others who are in the same boat, full fledged nudists, just not able to practice 24/7.

I consider myself a "way of life nudist" as I am nude most of the time. I go commando all the time, haven't worn anything to bed for many years and enjoy the backyard (my sanctuary) nude all the time. But I cannot roam around clothesfree when non-nudists are up and about. During the warmer days of the year, all I wear is a thin wrap around which has been accepted, but I cannot roam freely without the wrap around. As far as going to the beach, even that doesn't happen very often.

Personally, a "hobby nudist" is one who loves to be nude, but is not comfortable around the house 24/7. Sure, they like the feeling, but will not practice it freely. They may sleep nude, be nude occaisionally after a shower, but choose not to practice all the time. Their vacations may consist a trip to the nude beach or even a resort, but that's about it as far as open nudity. They perfer the lifestyle, but choose not to practice all the time, even if they could.

Just my opinion.

Comment

perhaps I am an oppertunity nudist. I do so when I have the oppertunity to do so. I do sleep nude and have done so since I was a teenager, and do not dress until I have to everyday. I do not like cold weather and so if the temp drops I am the first person to put on extra layers of clothes and sit with a blanket on my lap to keep warm. I am not going to crank up the heat and pay large utility bills just so I can be nude at home. Luckily, living in the south, we have more hot days than cold ones so I can be nude in the house most of the time durring the year and I do so almost daily.I live in a subdivision and we do not want to surround ourselves with priviacy fencing so I cannot enjoy the outside nude as I would like too. We live in the rural south in the middle of the "bible belt" and there are not any nudist resorts close by. The closest one to us is over a 4 hour drive so that is not an option for me. I am nude whenever the oppertunity pressents itself and I am ok with that.

Comment

I think a lot of us fall somewhere in between and are more likely to be opportunists. In some ways for me it is a lifestyle, but I am not into it enough to travel very far to be nude. I am nude at home in the house when I can be, outside is out of the question. If the opportunity were there, I'd be nude. I'm not much of a social being, and don't attend many events outside of with family, and those often are obligations. If there were an open nude swim, I would be more likely to participate at our pool than I do now because I hate having to swim clothed. The closest nude beach is five hours away, an impractical distance, and I don't go to the beach to lay in the sun, but play in the water. Since I grew up with the Great Lakes and fresh water, even the thought of swimming in salt water is not very appealing. I haven't been close enough to the ocean to even try it clothed. So, lack of opportunity really keeps me from being more than a hobbist, but I feel more like it is my lifestyle. It really is the comfort thing.

Comment

I consider myself a way of life nudist. My wife and I are nude at home all the time we both sleep nude do household chores nude and I garden nude in my private backyard. We also belong to both a national nudist organization, AANR and a local one Kaniksu Ranch a nearby landed club. I started out as a hobby nudist going to San Onofre beach and Blacks Beach then gradually I met more nudists made a few friends and joined a few clubs TNS, The Camping Bares of San Diego and later The Swallows/Sun Island. We have raised our kids in a nude friendly home I tried to impart those nudist values to my kids.

I think if something is fun you will try to enjoy it more often and then it just becomes habit. Of course circumstances can sometimes prevent you from doing what you would like to do, life has a way of getting in the way of things. But life is also about choices and making decisions based on what you put value on. I heard someone talking about spending money the other day saying before buying something they asked themselves is that item worth X amount of hours of my life. They took the amount of $ they made and worked out the hourly wage and then based on that they would buy or not buy the item. I think it's like that here, is nudism worth it to you? If so how much is it worth an hour of you life, several hours? I put a high value on it so even though my income is not waht it used to be I dedicate a good portion to maintain my membership in order to enjoy social nudism with like minded people.

Comment

Given the fact that I live in a cold climate, and, in a suburban neighborhood -- with houses around, I'd say definitely on the "hobby" side -- but, socially, recreationally, and whenever possible. We are building a nude area in our backyard, however, but given New England weather, we can't do it year-round.

Comment

Most definately ... "way of life nudists" but or grown children are "hobby" nudists.

I think Croydon's description of "way of life..." and "hobby" nudists is good enough. They describe our lives and our kids lives in regards to nudism. WE "live it" daily at home, rarely are we clothed, we belong to both Nat'l Org's, I'm active on naturist message boards, we are members of a naturist club, vacation at naturist venues and also refer to ourselves as nudists/naturists to those asking.

Our kids only partake occasionally. Vacations to the Caribbean, nude beach and occasionally at a resort. They do not live nude at home, sleep nude only on occasion, have done some skinny dippin' with friends but it's usually after a few drinks...

My wife is probably a 95% "way of life..." She still enjoys wearing clothes when she has to...(work, non nude social events, family get togethers)...me...I hate to have to put on clothes! LOL

We've actually met many, many "hobby" nudists at resorts. We are very close friends with "way of life nudists." In fact...2 or the 3 couples we vacation nude with most of the time are coming to stay with us this weekend. We meet the other couple in Palm Springs next week and we ALL will be there together for a weeks vacation.

We'd get along fine with "hobby" nudists but those that we've become friends with...dropped outta the "nudist" scene and got involved in something else cuz the "novelty" wore off.

Comment

These threads always seem to bother me. Is it important or beneficial to create another divide amongst people. Hobby vs way of life. Why can't we be people who enjoy nudity, the feeling on sunshine on our bodies. There is enough division in this world without creating more.

Comment

I would like to see how many tried being "Hobby Nudists" and realized they could not get enough time being naked so they became "Way Of Life Nudists"!

Bare

Comment

I see a trend in our youngest to go from "hobby" to "way of life..." but has a reluctant spouse. This may be something that's done without the spouse's ever participating but with the spouses blessings and support. Lots of communication between them since the beginning and it seems to be working out without any problems...so far. The reluctant spouse talks about it with us all the time but still is not interested at this time, I think if there were problems...the "way of life..." would just remain a "hobby."

I really don't see there being a division of sorts with this: Maybe if the thread was re-worded as "Way of Life Nudist" OR "Hobby Nudist". Changing the VS to OR softens that notion that this is a means to divide our community. But I read it as "or" and not one group against another.

FP

Comment

Originally posted by Sampson01 View Post
                      These threads always seem to bother me. Is it important or beneficial to create another divide amongst people. Hobby vs way of life. Why can't we be people who enjoy nudity, the feeling on sunshine on our bodies. There is enough division in this world without creating more.
                      I quite agree.

I am completely puzzled by the mental gymnastics people go through to label themselves. Why is it necessary?

Suffice to say that (for me), I feel physically comfortable and psychologically free when nude. And, I am nude when possible and practical.

As a Home Nudist, "Possible" is when I have taken care not to seen from outside, lest I offend or make a spectacle of myself.

"Practical" is when the temperatures cooperate.

And, I only use the word "nudist" as it is the vernacular for a person who prefers/enjoys being clothes free.

I don't think there are any set "rules" one must follow in order to be a "nudist." I don't see it as a title of honor that comes in various degrees: "This kind of nudist. That kind of nudist."

I just enjoy my naked time. It works for me.

Why over-think it?

Comment

I agree with you completely home nudist.

Comment

Because...life is too serious. This isn't a serious issue....is it??? It's just a question asked by someone on here and wanted to get some opinions on that topic. It's not a bad thing to talk about or discuss some of this stuff...some of you feel the need to down play , degrade or question the importance of the discussion. If you don't like it...don't participate but.....WHY come to a discussion you don't care for and throw cold water on it just because you don't like it or agree with it?

That seems far more counter productive than the conversation/discussion some would like to have. Isn't this better than ANOTHER ..."shaving, erection, piercing...etc." thread~?

Comment

In the words of the immortal Sgt Hulka, lighten up Francis!

Seriously folks this is just for fun right? Are we now so PC we are afraid to have a little discussion here? The day that we are so PC we can't is the day I check out of this forum.

Comment

This thread made me think.

I am definitely a "way of life nudist" because I believe in naturist values and I think of myself as nude all the time, only adding clothing for specific reasons or activities. If I were a "hobby nudist", wouldn't I think of myself as clothed by default and then take clothes off to be nude as a hobby activity?

On the other hand, nudity is not a huge preoccupation in my life and, depending on the weather or the occasion, I am just as happy clothed as nude. If I were a "way of life nudist", wouldn't nudity have more significance than merely being a commonplace state-of-being within my "way of life"?.

But I see the point raised by Tinhfwv. Some people might find it less portentious to be a "hobby nudist". Kind of an occasional gentle joy, like playing golf, rather than a commitment to a permeating life philosophy. Its importance can hence be downplayed with a "reluctant spouse" or others. On the other hand, if I were a "hobby nudist", I would be hard-pressed to explain to my wife or friends why I'm so often unclothed. The way it is, they have to explain to me "what clothes are needed to wash dishes" and I only have to explain particular clothing -- for instance, why I am taking golf shoes to the office.

Anyway, although treating nudity as a hobby may initially seem more lighthearted, it strikes me that in the long run it leads to a whole lot of exhausting justification. Nudity as a "way of life" strikes me as difficult because it front-loads exhaustive justification. Better maybe to take the inside-out approach to both -- that hobbies sometimes require particular equipment and clothing, that lifestyles sometimes require commitment and discipline, that being nude is merely the natural state "between" all the costuming and accessorizing, and a natural part of any lifestyle..

Comment

Working...
                              X