Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nude boating - a more casual attitude?

I enjoy nude boating and particularly fishing in the waters around Vancouver BC. While one frequently sees topless young ladies aboard boats in this area, complete nudity on the water, while not widespread, is becoming less uncommon. This does not seem to be limited to any age group or water activity.

In the past two summers, I have come across a group of nude teens floating on small inflatables off Deep Cove, a group of five or six nude male canoeists in their twenties up Indian Arm, and a topless female kayaker off Cates Park, to mention a few.

You do seem to meet the most nude boaters while fishing, however. These have ranged from several single men, a complete young family of four (Mom, Dad and two sons), a pair of nude brothers in their thirties fishing off Horseshoe Bay (who told me they have fished that way for years), and a wonderful naked couple in their mid-sixties off Bowen Island.

While public nudity generally raises a few eyebrows, these nudist boats seem to mix among other "textile" vessels without too much concern. My question in this post is:

Does anyone else feel there a difference in attitude/acceptance towards nudity on the water, (e.g., boating, etc.), as opposed to other areas or activities?

I enjoy nude hiking in the forested areas around Vancouver, and often hike up fire and logging roads. While making every effort to ensure I am not likely to "surprise" any others in the area, I am constantly aware that I could meet someone around the next bend, and so carry shorts in my hand, should I require them. I did encounter one couple in the past, who were great about it. Only passing pleasantries were exchanged, but I still felt awkward.

On the water, I have had other boats come alongside to ask about the fishing or just to say I. I feel no need and make no attempt to cover up, and nobody seems to bat an eye about my nudity. Nobody has even really mentioned it, made a fast getaway, etc. Some have even remained alongside for extended periods to yak.

The day I met the two brothers fishing in the nude, we wound up tying our two small open boats together and talked for a couple of very pleasant hours. Other boats passed closeby, and it was obvious to all the three of us were naked. But it was all waves, hellos, etc. No embarassment or awkwardness.

Has anyone else noticed this apparent more casual attitude towards nudity on the water. It seems nudes and textiles can meet and interact more easily in boats. Of course, it could just be the laid-back West Coast attitude in general.

Any other naked boaters out there?

I enjoy nude boating and particularly fishing in the waters around Vancouver BC. While one frequently sees topless young ladies aboard boats in this area, complete nudity on the water, while not widespread, is becoming less uncommon. This does not seem to be limited to any age group or water activity.

In the past two summers, I have come across a group of nude teens floating on small inflatables off Deep Cove, a group of five or six nude male canoeists in their twenties up Indian Arm, and a topless female kayaker off Cates Park, to mention a few.

You do seem to meet the most nude boaters while fishing, however. These have ranged from several single men, a complete young family of four (Mom, Dad and two sons), a pair of nude brothers in their thirties fishing off Horseshoe Bay (who told me they have fished that way for years), and a wonderful naked couple in their mid-sixties off Bowen Island.

While public nudity generally raises a few eyebrows, these nudist boats seem to mix among other "textile" vessels without too much concern. My question in this post is:

Does anyone else feel there a difference in attitude/acceptance towards nudity on the water, (e.g., boating, etc.), as opposed to other areas or activities?

I enjoy nude hiking in the forested areas around Vancouver, and often hike up fire and logging roads. While making every effort to ensure I am not likely to "surprise" any others in the area, I am constantly aware that I could meet someone around the next bend, and so carry shorts in my hand, should I require them. I did encounter one couple in the past, who were great about it. Only passing pleasantries were exchanged, but I still felt awkward.

On the water, I have had other boats come alongside to ask about the fishing or just to say I. I feel no need and make no attempt to cover up, and nobody seems to bat an eye about my nudity. Nobody has even really mentioned it, made a fast getaway, etc. Some have even remained alongside for extended periods to yak.

The day I met the two brothers fishing in the nude, we wound up tying our two small open boats together and talked for a couple of very pleasant hours. Other boats passed closeby, and it was obvious to all the three of us were naked. But it was all waves, hellos, etc. No embarassment or awkwardness.

Has anyone else noticed this apparent more casual attitude towards nudity on the water. It seems nudes and textiles can meet and interact more easily in boats. Of course, it could just be the laid-back West Coast attitude in general.

Any other naked boaters out there?

Comment

You need to check our http://www.bareboating.com They will list of nude boating activities around the country side. I will squeese in some nude kayaking in Michigan whenever possible.
      Ray

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by NorthVanNudist:
        ...Of course, it could just be the laid-back West Coast attitude in general.

I'm not much boater but the couple of times I've been on the naturist-friendly Endless Summer II in the British Virgin Islands, meeting other boats and yachts was never a problem, even tho public nudity is against the law in the BVI. We'd undress only when we were well on on way out of Tortola, and could remain nude 90% of the week sailing the Sir Francis Drake channel. Great trips.

Comment

I can't speak about little boats that one goes out for the day fishing on, but I can comment on boats that are the sort that you can live for a period on.

Since being modest when a group of people is living together in esentially one room is rather difficult, most people generally stop worrying about it. That does not mean that they necessarily hang out nude, but they accept that they will see and be seen before they dress in the morning etc. Also, when the fresh water supply is limited, using the fresh water to rinse out a bathing suit seems like a waste. Then once someone skinny dips once, they might get kinda hooked on it.

So anyhow, I have found that the average person who has spent a decent amount of time on a cruising sailboat treats nudity in a very casual way.

There is also a feeling that you are in your private home, as opposed to in public. So that also helps people relax.

Comment

Hey Journeyman, nice photo!

Makes me wish I was sailing again!

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by Sailor:
              There is also a feeling that you are in your private home, as opposed to in public. So that also helps people relax.

This is a very good point, Sailor...everyone is eating and sleeping together. This sailing yacht I wrote about has 4 staterooms -- each with its own head! A bit more privacy than normal... here's another pic I took on the same boat. (No, that's not me about to do a backflip -- it's the current Captain of the boat!)

Comment

Wow, sounds like the Queen Mary. I'd sure hate to paint her bottom!

Comment

When I was sailing, nudity seemed to be less of a concern than being dressed. As has been pointed out, when one is living in cramped quarters, one is less concerned with what is seen or not seen. On all sailing trips, I was the first to skinny dip, but others were quick to follow. Once the ice was broken (figuratively), there was less concern with being fully dressed.

Comment

Boating is the perfect use to be nude to people that usually don't go naked.

I have two funny experiences about it.

First it was a small boat in a lake with a friend and her two brothers. We were having a dip and the boys took off their suits in the water and satrted to swim showing their butts.

We laughed a lot and one of them asked if we did'n want to try it. I look at my friend, who knew I was a nudist and said I would love it.
                    Then took off our bikinis and played a lot.

When we got on board again we didn't bother to put the suits on, and we were seen for a few people. We just waved hello and that was all.

Later my friend told me their brothers always did the same, but it was the first time she had done it too, since she usually only went topless, but she had likes a lot the experience.

The other happened with my former boyfriend in Cayo Largo, Cuba.

We hired a ship boat for a complete day including the skipper, to have a cruise.

We didn't see anyone the first two hours, so I complained my boyfriend by the presence of the skipper, a man in his fifties, cause I like to be nude but I didn't want to offend him.

He replied that the skipper should be used to see naked people on the boat. We doubted and the my boyfriend asked him if he would mind if we took our suits to suntan and swim. He answered not at all, and that it was too common for europeans.

We did and had a great naked day not worrying by his presence, we talked with him in the nude and even he took some pics to us.

Boating nude is the best way to boat.

Comment

I think that people are more tolerant of nudity in any of the following circumstances:
                      * in a remote area,
                      * when the nude person is some distance away,
                      * when there are only a few people around,

Boating away from harbors and narrow rivers has these characteristics.

I fish nude off our dock a lot on our little lake. I can be seen by three neighbors on my side of the lake, by boaters going by and even (barely) by people across the lake a half mile away. I have heard a few comments by the boaters, but they have been not been nasty comments.

Gary

Comment

I sailed nude on a Laser in Singapore for 4 1/2 years. I'd rig my boat (for a year in a thong until someone complained) and then clip my suit to a halyard once I got about 100 meters off shore. I'd put the suit back on without about 100 meters of docking.

I'd often sail to some of the offshore islands and, of course, be nude on them. Never did see another nude person. Found a Malay wrap skirt in a tree on one of the islands.

Can't see sailing without being nude. I will only sail in warm weather, and warm weather demands nudity.

Comment

Boating nude makes sense--just like doing a lot of other things nude such as painting, washing your car, or anything where you will get your clothes wet or ruin them. Being nude you don't get your clothes wet or ruin them. It's actually very practical.

Instead of the saying I've heard, "Nude when possible, clothed when practical", it should be "Nude when practical, clothed when absolutely necessary." That's my 2 cents.

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by Jason Lee:
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Laura Lopez:
                            Boating is the perfect use to be nude to people that usually don't go naked.

First it was a small boat in a lake with a friend and her two brothers. We were having a dip and the boys took off their suits in the water and started to swim showing their butts.

We laughed a lot and one of them asked if we did'n want to try it. I look at my friend, who knew I was a nudist and said I would love it.
                            Then took off our bikinis and played a lot.

When we got on board again we didn't bother to put the suits on, and we were seen for a few people. We just waved hello and that was all.

Later my friend told me their brothers always did the same, but it was the first time she had done it too, since she usually only went topless, but she had likes a lot the experience.

Boating nude is the best way to boat.

is your female friend a converted nudist ?

No, she really isn't, I think she's something like a casual nudist.

I will explain, she likes being nude, and if she's in a place where you can be nude among close friends she will be the first to take off their clothes, but she is not the person who is looking for places to practice nudism, though I've gone with her many time to nudist beaches.

I tink she is more a skinny dipper than a convinced nudist.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by Laura Lopez:
                              No, she really isn't, I think she's something like a casual nudist.

I will explain, she likes being nude, and if she's in a place where you can be nude among close friends she will be the first to take off her clothes, but she is not the person who is looking for places to practice nudism, though I've gone with her many time to nudist beaches.

I think she is more a skinny dipper than a convinced nudist.

she likes going nude with clothed friends and nude friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X