X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by usuallylurk:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Naturist Mark:
    "Pageants" were at one time a staple of many of the old ASA nudist clubs (ASA is now AANR). That was a time when mainstream beauty pageants were still seen as wholesome and uplifting,

etc.

-Mark
    The beauty pageants went out of vogue in North American nudist parks in the mid-1980s or so.

A highlight of the ASA and its regional conventions were the "royal pageants". But they were quietly dropped for exactly the reasons you stated. They would have a "senior royal couple", a young-to-middle age royal couple, a teen royal couple, and a kids' couple. Pictures, crowns, flowers, plaques, etc.

The good old days, I wish that was kind of still around. I guess body acceptance and different thinking value changes how people think now. But like you said, it was the "highlight" the old ASA conventions. I also bet you, that it brought in a lot of new memebers, to the old ASA (aka AANR).

Comment

Question? Do anyone feel that Nudist beauty pageants, should be brought back and can they ever bring any good to nudism again.

Comment

No, how can you tell someone "It's not a beauty contest," when trying to convince them about "nudist values," then turn around and have an ACTUAL beauty contest?

Non-sequitir!

Comment

Originally posted by whitestokes:
          Question? Do anyone feel that Nudist beauty pageants, should be brought back and can they ever bring any good to nudism again.
          I agree with you guys....it's something that existed and worked in the past, but I don't think it would work today. It would be like bringing back the Dick Van **** show or Andy Griffith, to help re-instate family values in America (ok..not the best analogy).

Basically.....the collective mentality of today's society could not handle the idea of a "nude beauty pagent" and refrain from making it sexual. Evidence being the nude beauty pagent at Ponderosa....shame shame shame

Comment

The beauty pageants went out of vogue in North American nudist parks in the mid-1980s or so.

A highlight of the ASA and its regional conventions were the "royal pageants". But they were quietly dropped for exactly the reasons you stated. They would have a "senior royal couple", a young-to-middle age royal couple, a teen royal couple, and a kids' couple. Pictures, crowns, flowers, plaques, etc.
            I agree with your comments JayFromFLA and DoctorSurferDude, but I am not talking about female nudist beauty pageants. But in the classical way of the old ASA, such as usuallylurk brought to our attention. Which are family pageants.

Comment

I think the idea of pageants in general is one that is completely antiquated and deserves to be consigned to history. I don't see why on earth nudism, of all things, would possibly want to return to such an outmoded aesthetic which emphasizes a subjective standard of physical attractiveness. The shedding of clothing is supposed to be the great equalizer anyway!

Unwired, unwilling to return to the bad old days

Comment

The majority of the members at the ponderosa would agree with most everything posted here. The camp is owned by the family and the now deceased males started it long ago. I would & will die to defend my nudist lifestyle but I have no reason to believe that the owners ever try to promote nudism in any way shape or form. They own and run a nice place far far from perfect. They're human and money is needed, out in the local commnunity show weekend brings in tremendous revenue. Yes for a day or so afterwards there are scummy reactions to the activity.Simple solution sell your place and do with out the nudist oppurtunity the place allows.Along the mentality of some of YOUR posts....HOW IS YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD DOING ? are you contributing ? Does that bar on the corner sell to your underage children ? On your way to/from work do you acknowledge your neighbors ? an strangers ? We have a wonderful community at the Ponderosa....Our daughters walk to and from any place they wish morning noon and night....undressed or not without a fear in the heart..While inside the gate only.Regarding Ron Jeremy....Simply a nasty sick man.

Comment

My father, who is not a nudist, had a video tape that I stumbled upon in my youth. The video was a sort of documentary about this Miss Nude USA contest. In one of the interviews the girl said she was a exotic dancer and that winning this title would bring her more money when she did shows. Nudism at it's finest right? Jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by RunninBare:
                    The majority of the members at the ponderosa would agree with most everything posted here. The camp is owned by the family and the now deceased males started it long ago. I would & will die to defend my nudist lifestyle but I have no reason to believe that the owners ever try to promote nudism in any way shape or form. They own and run a nice place far far from perfect. They're human and money is needed, out in the local commnunity show weekend brings in tremendous revenue. Yes for a day or so afterwards there are scummy reactions to the activity.Simple solution sell your place and do with out the nudist oppurtunity the place allows.Along the mentality of some of YOUR posts....HOW IS YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD DOING ? are you contributing ? Does that bar on the corner sell to your underage children ? On your way to/from work do you acknowledge your neighbors ? an strangers ? We have a wonderful community at the Ponderosa....Our daughters walk to and from any place they wish morning noon and night....undressed or not without a fear in the heart..While inside the gate only.Regarding Ron Jeremy....Simply a nasty sick man.
                    Believe it or not, the original Ponderosa Nude Beauty Pageant was started as an echo of those pageants running in all the ASA regions at the time. The first contestants were all women members of Ponderosa (real nudists). The pageant idea was chosen as a vehicle to outreach to the public as well as raise money for the club. The whole event was run by Ponderosa members vounteering to help owner, Tom Schmidt make a success of the pageant and to raise enough money to avoid raising members' dues. This was done after attempts to raise money doing the play, Barely Proper failed to generate enough revenue.

Unfortunately, after the first two pageants became nothing more than photo shoots for perverts from Chicago, the women members rightly refused to participate in the pageant and most of the members refused to help with putting on the pageant or even attending camp on the pageant weekends. After that, Tom partnered up with a topless bar owner from Ft. Wayne, IN. I believe and that was the beginning of the "Nudes-A-Poppin" show you see today. Strippers were recruited to compete and the show became something that has nothing to do with nudism. It also raised maybe $20,000-40,000 per show (let's see you raise that kind of money in a bake sale). It's sad but it's true I believe the club relies on that income to survive but during the rest of the year they revert more towards a regular nudist environment.

The club's original owner, Harvey Schmidt, had absoultutely NO interest in ever being affiliated with the ASA and this was years before there ever was a pageant. He formed his own nudist organization, the United Nudist Congress but I believe his club was the only member.

I know, I was there.

Comment

But Naturist Mark, do you remember NAKED USA in Texas video by the late David Ball from Heritage Videos collection. It was filmed in the 1980's and showed a beauty pageants in Texas. From the video, the beauty pageant was done with the ideas of naturism.
                      Believe it or not, David filmed the beauty pageant at another resort near Dallas also called PONDAROSA with a slightly different spelling than the original Ponderosa in Indiana (note: there is also a Ponderosa nudist club in Canada). The owner of the Pondarosa Sun Club in Texas (David Lamar) was well aware of both the other clubs and the Ponderosa's pageant. He too, wanted to capture some of the popularity of the nude beaty pageants by inviting the public. However, by the time he started, nude beauty pageants were already falling out of favor with the nudist movement as a whole. The club no longer sponsors these pageants that I'm aware.

As for David, he filmed a lot more in Texas in that video including the beautiful South Padre Island nude beach. The wife and I are one of the people running over the dunes on the beach in the film. David passed away in England two years ago I believe.

Comment

The Nudes-a-popin show isn't something that 99% of the members attend. So as a result, they aren't seen in the photos. Many times my wife and I dressed cruise the 10,000 plus crowd telling those we can "Today isn't nudism" it's for photo ops for the girls and the guys. There are a percentage of woman in the crowds...many as payin guests there just to pose for pics.
                        On show day the children are not allowed in the camp or outside if they're on the grounds at all. Most simply stay home. I'm not aware of a patent on the term "Family Nudist Resort" The owner can paint it on the fence for all I care. There has been people kicked out for inappropriate behavior...some falsly accused. The money to own (used loosely here) gives access to your trailer and the camp grounds. But nothing says it would be refunded or returned for inappropriate behavior (be the accusations true or not) Nor am I of the opinion that I legally & fully own the trailer. Even if I did, can't take a 60" with me when I leave !! Several trees of some size are in the way. I "own" the trailer, not the 1/4 acre it sits on. To work off our share of the membership dues we work around the camp...so you can do a project for the summer...or work the show day in a booth, security, food ect. ect.
                        They have never claimed to promote naturism, nudity ect...Plain an simple...sadly........"Sex sells" I assure you many of those girls would happily work in another field. But maybe your town doesn't have any work ! Maybe your town doesn't have a day care center so the woman can go to school to learn an hourly job. I don't care what or how you feel about me, but know this....to see those WOMEN walking in 100 degree heat in 5" 6"..+ heels, makeup,hair done perfect..has got to be tough. Let someone in the audience see them look less than pretty...she'll have travelled 100's of miles in a hot bus for nothing, short of a days wages. Many of those kids have hopes an dreams far higher than many many other people...an these girls are putting all they have into it.The competition among them is unreal,no-less than what your favorite sports team feel.
                        I am not defending them, pls know they are ours an they are often times hurting and alone.Many of their dollars come home not to do... drugs or booze..but come home they do to you.

Comment

I have mixed feelings on this, i think its just to close to being a sexual thing to be shown at a nudist resort, but then again who are we to deny someone the right to compete in a competition, im sure at a nudist resort (not one the the US since you americans see to go overthe top with those pagent things, just like you do with those spelling bee competitions) who compete in these are just having a laught, like they saw a flyer for it around the resort and though why not could be fun.

Comment

In my mind nudist beauty pageants are totally wrong. It will just give men an excuse to oggle women. Besides, doesn't the true nudist believe that everyBODY is beautiful. We are created in God's image. I find it depressing and disapointing that some nudist resorts would have beauty pageants.

Comment

Veal Johnson,
                              Thank you for your extremely interesting posts sharing your knowledge of the history behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by whitestokes:
                                quote:

I agree with your comments JayFromFLA and DoctorSurferDude, but I am not talking about female nudist beauty pageants. But in the classical way of the old ASA, such as usuallylurk brought to our attention. Which are family pageants.

Nobody got the point, that I was trying to make. I am not talking about beauty pageants, with only women involved. But the Family Pageants, that didn't judged people bodies on how they look. They uses to have one girl winner, one boy winner, one woman winner, and one man winner. Which these winners were pointed, jobs and duties around the nudist club or resort. That's what I was talking about, not beauty pageants like the Miss America Pageants, but something that was meaningful for the nudist club or resort.

whitestokes.

Comment

Working...
                                X