College Nudism Class

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts -

Here in Boston, there is a place called "The Boston Center for Adult Education".

Courses are offered in everything from a dating bar pub crawl, to skyline photography (hey - the Boston skyline is pretty cool, right?) , to whale watching, to grill cooking, etc. etc.

A one-night nudist symposium -- "Introduction to Nudism" - with local nudist leaders and nudist park owners -- would probably work and spread the word.

One thing I would NOT do is have a field trip to a nudist park. This is NOT a good idea - to bring a busload of tourists to a nudist park. It ends up putting the members on display, and creates a discomforting situation.

We were members of a park some two decades ago that did that on Labor Day weekend. An "adventure tour" from New York City brought a busload of visitors to the old Birch Acres and it created a general disruption and uneasiness on the grounds.

Most resorts will NOT consider that -- I'm rather amazed that the Cove did.

Comment

Actually, I took a course in "Deviant Sociology" and nudism was discussed in detail (the title was sort of misleading as the course dealt more with things out of the norm rather than psychopaths and the like).

To get acredidation for college classes certain criteria must be met and it has to fall into a category that the college deals with (i.e. Health, Psychology, etc.). Then the college must be open to the possibility of how the media will treat the possible story.

Perhaps one could look into adult education/community outreach classes. These are generally offered by community colleges and are set up by people not employed (necessarily) by the college but still allowed to meet as well as charge fees for the course. There are usually no credits for such courses. However, if one has interest in things like nudism, culture, or any other special interest they might consider contacting their local 2 year college.

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by Revolutionary:
        Actually, I took a course in "Deviant Sociology" and nudism was discussed in detail (the title was sort of misleading as the course dealt more with things out of the norm rather than psychopaths and the like).

To get acredidation for college classes certain criteria must be met and it has to fall into a category that the college deals with (i.e. Health, Psychology, etc.). Then the college must be open to the possibility of how the media will treat the possible story.

Perhaps one could look into adult education/community outreach classes. These are generally offered by community colleges and are set up by people not employed (necessarily) by the college but still allowed to meet as well as charge fees for the course. There are usually no credits for such courses. However, if one has interest in things like nudism, culture, or any other special interest they might consider contacting their local 2 year college.

I guess I don't have a problem if one assumes the term "deviant" means "deviates from the norm" - but the term has negative consequences.

I believe that organized nudism should be not necessarily selling itself, but introducing and explaining itself on college campuses.

Comment

I like the idea of a course on nudism but despite the fact that nudism is often unjustly criticized I think it would be a good idea if the class challenged some of the assumptions that underly nudism. Perhaps the class could enable people to explore and challenge the way people see nudity whatever their perspective.

Comment

I think that a College Nudism Class is really silly idea, but for college credits, I'd definitely sign up.

The best plan of action is to take steps to educate the textile community about what nudism is all about, what it is, what it is not and most importantly, to demolish the myths which surround the clothes-free lifestyle.

The use media is one means.

Writing to the editors of newspapers, especially when something as controversial as a nude resort gets the attention of the public would be a start.

And getting Corky to hurry up and get some new Photos of Freedom posted so that he could make some guest appearances on some of the television talk shows (i.e., The Tonight Show with Jay Leno) along with other entertainment programs is another.

These suggestions are only a start.

Positive exposure is what we need!

Comment

I think it's a shame that more people don't know what the word "Deviant" really means.

There should be a High School class that teaches the meaning of words. Maybe then, by time students got to College, they would actually understand something.

Behavior that "Differs from the social norm" isn't always a bad thing.

Steve

Comment

Sence I "officially" lived nude beginning in college - this would have been great! Wish they had it when I was attending. Heck I would take a refresher now for that matter. This would be one course that I would consider returning for! Great idea! It would have helped me perhaps meet others all those years ago and not feel so closeted about it at an earlier age.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Nathan B:
                  As a university professor, the class would be an elective. Could be put under the health sciences department in the wellness program, could be a special topics class in psychology "exploring new lifestyles." Lots of ways to accomplish it.

What is interesting is that we already have nude students earning extra money as life drawing models in the art classes. One of our football players has spent a ton of time nude in front of art students as just about every muscle on his body is well defined.

It would be interesting to say the least and I am sure you could fill the class.

Nathan,

As an older-than-average college student, I have started doing this since February of this year. I recently relocated and have found a place here in town that does life drawing and learned that this type of class is all over the country, so those who have never done it before, check with the community paper and see when and where you could find a class for that.

As for the jock, some would say 'I bet the class was full!' but in reality, this person is just another nude body (which is what I've been told before, which did not offend me in the least). No one would say a thing about some guy sprouting his muscles, but, what I have learned is that the less hair on ones body, the better. Works for me!

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X