Being Nude at the Doctors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Nude at the Doctors

I am going to a new skin doctor next week and I want to know how to let her know that I would rather be nude during the exam than wear a gown and have the doctor move the gown around to keep me covered. One of the doctors I had before did that and missed a few moles. The doctor I just left had me in a gown while taking down information. When he started the exam, the gown was pulled down and just covered my lap. When I stood up, I removed the gown and the rest of the exam was done in the nude. I gust feel that it should be up to the patient on what to wear or not. If doctors (after I let them know that i would remove all of my clothing) insist on me covering up I feel that they are not comfortable.

I am going to a new skin doctor next week and I want to know how to let her know that I would rather be nude during the exam than wear a gown and have the doctor move the gown around to keep me covered. One of the doctors I had before did that and missed a few moles. The doctor I just left had me in a gown while taking down information. When he started the exam, the gown was pulled down and just covered my lap. When I stood up, I removed the gown and the rest of the exam was done in the nude. I gust feel that it should be up to the patient on what to wear or not. If doctors (after I let them know that i would remove all of my clothing) insist on me covering up I feel that they are not comfortable.

Comment

BrianRI,

Welcome to the forum. You will find great people here who will answer your quesitons and provide the information that you may want.

When you get to the doctors' exam room and have removed your clothes and put on the gown, to keep warm (some exam rooms can get a chill) then when the doctor comes in, just explain that you would prefer that the exam be done entirely in the nude. You are the patient and therefore the one in charge. Doctors have been conditioned to keep people covered, but I think that it does make the exam much easier if nude.

How about the doctors on this forum. What are your preferences? Let's hear from you.

Comment

Just read an email from a friend, it said" why do the doctors always go out of the room when your disrobing, when they are gonna see you naked anyway"! go figure!!

Comment

While living in the US, I never understood the gown thing. Never made any sense to me!

Comment

OK, I've been practicing medicine for 25 years so here goes.

In training physicians are taught to respect patient privacy and authority (yes, I know, some forget; that's another matter). Many patients feel vulnerable and not in control at the doctor's office, and being unclothed (for most) heightens that feeling. And, most patients are modest about being naked and prefer to be covered. From a physical exam perspective I'd prefer if my patients wore nothing at all, but this is not what the patients want and, in this instance, what they want is what they get. It's surprisingly tough to get patients to take off even the minimum necessary; I tell them (clearly and slowly) to remove everything but underpants and put on the gown, and then come back to find many still wearing t-shirts, pantyhose, bras, slips, or even the gown on top of all their clothes!

So excuse your physician for treating you the way 99% of the rest of the patients want to be treated. You'll likely find that the doctor really doesn't really care; if you don't want to wear a gown, the best way to let that be known is to leave it on the chair.

Regardless of whether you are gowned or not, if you are getting a skin exam you should make sure that the physician sees "every square inch of your skin" (to quote my dermatology instructor) and should not hesitate to point out any missed areas - especially those tricky areas you can't see for yourself.

Finally, why does the doctor leave the room while you undress? We go outside to dictate our note quickly before we forget what you said.

gn225

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by hootowl:
              Just read an email from a friend, it said" why do the doctors always go out of the room when your disrobing, when they are gonna see you naked anyway"! go figure!!

It's because so many people are uncomfortable undressing in front of other people. We were discussing this same thing last night with some nudist friends. SOme know people who are fine being nude around others, but they just can't undress around others. Maybe they are embarrassed about their underwear. ;-)

Comment

....or lack of it!

Comment

Similar to going to a massage therapist who is going to give the massage to a nude person leaving the room so thay can disrobe and get on the table. I want to tell them not to worry about it but honestly I just go with it for their sake. My doctor probably wouldn't bat an eyelash if she came in the exam room to find me naked.

Comment

I had a cancer scare a couple years ago. After he said lift this and lift that, I just took the robe off. I mean come on, DO NOT miss anything, please.
                    Never could figure out about leaving while I get undressed, I always wanted to get out of there ASAP, them leaving slows that down.

Comment

I appreciate the answer given by gn225. However, I also think that doctors themselves have personal preferences--and those might include the precautions that they think necessary to avoid legal problems. Or, if not their own personal preferences, perhaps policy set by the institution that employs them.

I was surprised to be handed a gown a couple of years ago, as it was the first time I had been told to put one on for a routine visit. When I asked my doctor about it, he said, "It's because some patients don't wear underware. If you're wearing underwear, you can leave the gown off if you prefer." The message was pretty clear that he didn't expect to walk in and find me nude.

But then I was surprised again a couple of weeks ago when I went for a sigmoidoscopy (everyone's favorite procedure ). The female nurse led me into the examining room, pointed to a hook, and said, "Take off everything below your waist except your socks. You can hang your things there. Then have a seat on the bed." With that she began to work with the equipment, saying over her shoulder, "Don't mind me. I won't look." However there was a mirror in front of her, so she could hardly avoid seeing the whole room.

So I thought to myself, "No big deal," and did as she said.

Comment

Every six months when I have a medical check-up, my doctor asks me to take off ALL my clothes and lay on the examination table (naked). I am not uncomfortable doing this. I usually have my eyes closed while he views and examines my nude body on the table, as I feel that this might give him more comfort if I am not lying there staring up into his eyes.

Comment

I had a couple of skin cancers removed from my face about three years ago. I go yearly for a follow-up with my dermatologist. Usually the nurse just leaves me in the examine room and says he'll be in shortly. When the doctor enters the room, and after the pleasantries, he starts with examining my face, ears and neck. Then I pull off everything else and he examines my entire body. It doesn't bother me being nude in front of him and doesn't seem to bother him at all either. Sometimes he continues to carry on a conversation for a while after the exam while I'm still nude.

Comment

Of all professions, a dermatologist should have plain view of one's entire body for a significant portion of the exam.

I will wear a gown when the doctor enters the room and I will put the gown back on as soon as she has concluded, but I agree that it is far less distracting for all concerned to have the gown completely out of the way during active examination. I want none of this "lift this corner, now cover that corner" foolishness.
                            Your health is at stake here. Let's not play games.

And wearing underpants provides way too much opportunity for the doctor to miss moles or cancers on your loins and buttocks. This is no time for modesty on the doctor's part or yours.

Comment

My dematologist says that examining the genitals is just "SKIN" to him.

Comment

Working...
                              X