Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympic Swimsuit Ban

Originally posted by Stu2630 View Post
    As for the photos you have shown, naturally I wouldn't approve of such garments as they do not adequately cover the relevant body parts adequately.
    Stu
    Those bikinis are legal. Perhaps they are inappropriate for a traditional Sunday church service but they certainly should be allowed on any textile beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanslines View Post
      Just a note to the note. The skimpy bikinis above would serve a much greater purpose then the considerably more conservative sports bra type. The skimpy types would send viewership ratings through the roof and generate enormous advertising revenue. What greater purpose can be achieved then making money?

I take it by the tone of your note that you really don't want to play beach volleyball with Ms Brazil (ie the one in the skimpy black bikini) above? Well, you had your chance. Poor Ms Brazil.............I think that she will now have to resort to playing beach volleyball with Stu.
      Of course I was referring to the support the suit tops provide when I said they have a purpose, as opposed to any effect on viewership.

I'm sure Ms Brazil is a fine young woman, but I'd much rather spend play time with Misty (alas, she is married). I hasten to add that I mean that with the utmost respect and honorable intentions.

Comment

Hello BRISnude. Somehow, I just don't think that will ever happen in the Olynpic world unless it is taken over completely by the nudist movement! And that in itself is a literal fat chance of happening! Sorry, no such luck!

Ken Palmer

Originally posted by BRISnude View Post
        That's the first thing that came to mind when I heard this story also, just remove the suits all together, that will remove the advantage of the Hi Tech suits. makes sense to me!

Comment

This morning I heard an interview with a retired Aussie Olympic swimmer who said that he had no argument with the new suits that give swimmers an advantage. His argument is with FINA stuffing around with the rules. The swimmer said that it doesn't matter that the new technology gives and an advantage, what matters is that rules are set and ALL swimmers can wear or not wear the fast suits AS THEY CHOOSE. FINA has been changing the rules without proper notice. Of course there will be an advantage to wealthy nations but that has and will always be the case in most if not all sports to a greater or lessor degree - "that's life" .

High tech. gear has given Olympians a huge advantage over Olympians of yesteryear. For example carbon fiber bicycles, streamlined fiber glass helmets, cricket bats that give more rebound, light weight canoes, high tech skis etc etc. Are not all those items essential for each sport as are swim suits for swimmers. Swim suits are essential because of the worlds standard dress code.

I wonder if the reason that there is so much argument on this is that the new suits make a very substantial difference in time compared to the effect of hi tech gear in other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Naturist Mark View Post
            ... Iran DOES have female Olympic athletes, but they are required to wear a modified Islamic hijab while competing - covering their hair and wear clothing that hides the female form. Further, women's competitions are not televised in Iran since other nation's do not follow their restrictions on the apparel of female athletes.

It's easy to laugh at this, but our society's rules are just as arbitrary and nonsensical. It doesn't make sense for it to be compulsory to wear anything while running or swimming.

Comment

Originally posted by OZJames View Post
              This morning I heard an interview with a retired Aussie Olympic swimmer who said that he had no argument with the new suits that give swimmers an advantage. His argument is with FINA stuffing around with the rules. The swimmer said that it doesn't matter that the new technology gives and an advantage, what matters is that rules are set and ALL swimmers can wear or not wear the fast suits AS THEY CHOOSE. ...
              If the swimmers are allowed to wear the new full-body suits, should they also be allowed to wear swim fins? I vote that they should all swim nude. That isn't going to happen. Traditional Speedos are the next best thing.

Comment

This morning I heard an interview with a retired Aussie Olympic swimmer who said that he had no argument with the new suits that give swimmers an advantage. His argument is with FINA stuffing around with the rules. The swimmer said that it doesn't matter that the new technology gives and an advantage, what matters is that rules are set and ALL swimmers can wear or not wear the fast suits AS THEY CHOOSE.
                You can make the same argument for performance enhancing drugs ... after all, the playing field will be level if ALL athletes are allowed to choose to use them.

Of course I don't really expect FINA or the Olympics will allow nude competition anytime soon. But it IS the most sensible thing to do.

Comment

Of course I don't really expect FINA or the Olympics will allow nude competition anytime soon. But it IS the most sensible thing to do.
                  Why is it the most sensible thing to do? Are there any factual studies or information to support the notion that audiences will watch Olympic swimming specifically to watch nude young men?

Heck with the social stigma attacked to men wearing Speedos, we can't even gain greater acceptance for the average Joe wearing a Speedo.

Comment

This morning I heard an interview with a retired Aussie Olympic swimmer who said that he had no argument with the new suits that give swimmers an advantage.
                    Must have been the 'Thorpedo' lol.

The swimmer said that it doesn't matter that the new technology gives and an advantage, what matters is that rules are set and ALL swimmers can wear or not wear the fast suits AS THEY CHOOSE. FINA has been changing the rules without proper notice. Of course there will be an advantage to wealthy nations but that has and will always be the case in most if not all sports to a greater or lessor degree - "that's life" .
                    The wealthy nations jealously guard their technology advances. They share with no one as their technology is what will win competitions. Basic raw talent is no longer sufficient to win competitions. There is much more to high tech swimming then just new swimsuit research and development. Each and every movement that a swimmer makes is computer analyzed in order to teach the swimmer the most efficent swimstroke.

Poor nations do not have a chance at fair competition. That's the problem with swimming today - it is no longer fair athletic competition.

The only way to bring back fair competition that is solely based upon raw talent is that if everyone is afforded the same access to all of the research facilities and technologies. Until this happens., swimming competiton will be nothing more then a battle of the wealthiest nation's technology.
                    Last edited by Sanslines; 07-31-2009, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Good points made about "technology" used to make swimmers faster. Synthetic skin is almost like performance enhancing drugs but not a drug. The outcome from both is the same: better running, better hitting, faster swimming. It's an enhancement.

Swimming should be done with as little as possible on the skin such as the use of speedos and bare skin, oiled or not oiled. Swimmers should not be encouraged to use these synthetic skins. We can't even have "real" sports anymore without enhancements. What a shame.

Comment

Just a note, the women's beach volleyball players don't wear the skimpy bikinis shown above, they wear considerably more substantial "sports bra" type tops that actually serve a purpose.
                        From an article in a UK newspaper
                        'We have to wear smaller bikini bottoms so they stay on: if they're baggy they move around, and you never know what will pop out.'

Seems it is for practical reasons, not for viewing figures.

See full article at
                        http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...l-denise-johns

Comment

Of course there is always the INF international naturist swimming gala, every year in autumn. This year it is in the UK (Rugby). Maybe time to create an "olympic" division!

Sanslines: >> Competitive swimmers will never be allowed to swim nude.
                          Stu: >> A note of realism. Thank you.

Stu, you keep poking your whirring nose into everything but don't understand anything... The point of Sanslines was that with nudeswimming competitors (at WM/Olymptic level) would be hard-tempted to use a nude-suit of one or other form, i.e., some special lotions or creams absorved by the skin to reduce drag. No-one would see. In addition, the INF gala is a (non-recognised, due to FINA clothing regulations) swimming competition and IS nude.

Stu: >> Revealing the shape of underlying anatomy is a million miles from nudity in the minds of most textiles

What a whirring nonsense yet again (not to mention: what do you know about female anatomy after you grew out of it yourself, you would be blinded by the sight of it) - female WM swimmers actually wear something else UNDERNEATH the swimmingsuits to retain what they call a level of "modesty". While it doesn't hide all, at least it hides the most critical features when the cameras are zoomed in on their bodyparts.
                          Last edited by Naturist4Ever; 08-04-2009, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Naturist4Ever

The point of Sanslines was that with nudeswimming competitors (at WM/Olymptic level) would be hard-tempted to use a nude-suit of one or other form, i.e., some special lotions or creams absorved by the skin to reduce drag.
                            Yes, I know exactly what he was talking about. My point is that Sanslines' statement that "competitive swimmers will never be allowed to swim nude" is a note of realism for those who suggest that Olympic swimmers might be required to do so. They won't. It's not going to happen, and not just because of the lotions etc, but because it would not be acceptable to most swimmers and to most participating nations.

Stu: >> Revealing the shape of underlying anatomy is a million miles from nudity in the minds of most textiles
                            What a whirring nonsense yet again (not to mention: what do you know about female anatomy after you grew out of it yourself, you would be blinded by the sight of it) - female WM swimmers actually wear something else UNDERNEATH the swimmingsuits to retain what they call a level of "modesty". While it doesn't hide all, at least it hides the most critical features when the cameras are zoomed in on their bodyparts.
                            Which simply reinforces my main point! I'm sure you are right that female swimmers don't want even the outline of their intimate anatomy to be visible, so they wear undergarments to protect their modesty. Male swimmers, on the other hand, are probably content with a pair of Speedos, or similar, because they would look odd without something of a bulge in the crotch area, but that is a very different thing from being naked!

BTW, you might want to be nice to me as I'm going to be moving much closer to you as from Friday - permanently! My new house is just a couple of hundred kilometers south of Oslo, in western Sweden and just off the E6 motorway. Howdy, neighbor! :cowboy:

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu2630 View Post
                              Sanslines

I think we all have some odd and inconsistent attitudes towards how much of ourselves we should be exposing. When I was 11-12 years old, I went to a girls' school which prided itself on its achievements in netball and virtually everyone played it. The netball uniform consisted of a top, a bib, and a very short skirt, but nobody thought anything of it. If we were going out to a disco, however, we would never have dreamed of wearing a dress as short as that. Our respective parents would not have let us out of the house in it as they would have said it was "indecent".

It's the same with swimming. You can wear the briefest bikini or swimming trunks and nobody bats an eyelid, but if you walk about in a public park in your underwear, which is probably less revealing than the swimwear, you feel deeply self-conscious and verging on being indecently dressed and you would draw quite a bit of attention. I guess nudists feel more self-conscious being seen in public in their underwear than they would nude.

As I have said many times, we are not a logical species.

As for the photos you have shown, naturally I wouldn't approve of such garments as they do not adequately cover the relevant body parts adequately.

Stu
                              Brutus/Kate/whoever you are,

Why are you wasting your time arguing with others on this forum? If you got some help and actually BECAME logical you wouldn't get ratted on by so many others. Face it, you are a mentally ill bigoted troll and baiter, albeit an elaborate one.

Go and spew your polite bile to people who actually care about you.
                              Last edited by Dario Western; 08-10-2009, 03:03 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Originally posted by MoonShadow View Post
                                Good points made about "technology" used to make swimmers faster. Synthetic skin is almost like performance enhancing drugs but not a drug. The outcome from both is the same: better running, better hitting, faster swimming. It's an enhancement.

Swimming should be done with as little as possible on the skin such as the use of speedos and bare skin, oiled or not oiled. Swimmers should not be encouraged to use these synthetic skins. We can't even have "real" sports anymore without enhancements. What a shame.
                                Yes you can. Why not organise an anthesis to the Olympics for nudists? Get the local nudist clubs in your area to host them with the same activities and for the people of the same calibre as Olympic athletes.

Sports need to be done without enhancements, and it's about time that the people who organise sporting activities learned to understand this.

Comment

Working...
                                X