X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swimming pool users banned from showering naked

Showering with clothes on is stupid! There I said it I don't see any reason to be polite about it. If you don't want to see nude humans don't go where they are go hide under your bed.

I started going back to the gym last fall. I go about 3-4 times a week and I shower afterwards. I can say that in that time everyone else I have seen there does the same thing. To do otherwise is unsanitary and unhealthy not to mention stinky.

Comment

If you don't want to see nude humans don't go where they are go hide under your bed.
      OR - ask the management to ban nudity and, if they refuse, patronise another facility.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi Bare View Post
        I didn't suggest anything. You were the one who wrote the words "excretory AND sex organs". That sure sounds like a differentiation to me that they are mutually exclusive of each other.
        Originally posted by Stu2630 View Post
        YogiBare
        Then you need to study the science of semantics, including the range of uses of the co-ordinating conjunction 'and' in modern English.
        Oh, for crying out loud! Please don't insult my intelligence. Nudiarist pointed out your endless tactic of arguing minute details ad infinitum, and this response of yours certainly proves his point.

Comment

YogiBare

I don't doubt your intelligence, but you were trying to undermine my argument and claim it was contradictory, when it wasn't, and the basis of your claim was a misunderstanding (on your part) about the range of meanings of the word "and". Excretory and sex organs can mean that the two elements are distinct, but it can also encompass the possibility of overlap. Another example of that is "food and drink", where you have soup or gravy which could fall into both categories.

Now I'm quite happy to leave this if you are because we really are arguing about trivial details and moving well off topic.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by NudeAl View Post
            Showering with clothes on is stupid! There I said it I don't see any reason to be polite about it. If you don't want to see nude humans don't go where they are go hide under your bed.

I started going back to the gym last fall. I go about 3-4 times a week and I shower afterwards. I can say that in that time everyone else I have seen there does the same thing. To do otherwise is unsanitary and unhealthy not to mention stinky.
            I don't shower after I work out. I am neither unsanitary nor unhealthy nor stinky (well maybe a little stinky). I walk to the gym and walk home. I shower at home. Why shower at the gym when you could sweat walking home?

I would still shower at home if I drove to the gym. Not because I am afraid of seeing someone nude or them seeing me nude. I simply am scared of getting athlete's foot. On the rare occasion I shower at the gym, I shower with sandals on so my feet do not touch the floor. Is this a rational fear? I don't know, but I am not taking any chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Kouak View Post
              I don't shower after I work out. I am neither unsanitary nor unhealthy nor stinky (well maybe a little stinky). I walk to the gym and walk home. I shower at home. Why shower at the gym when you could sweat walking home?

I would still shower at home if I drove to the gym. Not because I am afraid of seeing someone nude or them seeing me nude. I simply am scared of getting athlete's foot. On the rare occasion I shower at the gym, I shower with sandals on so my feet do not touch the floor. Is this a rational fear? I don't know, but I am not taking any chances.
              Okay I can see it if you are walking home afterwards. Now if you had to spend the rest of your day in a classroom surrounded by others wouldn't you take a shower? In that context I stand by my earlier remarks that not doing so is unsanitary and stinky! Shower shoes or sandals are a good protection against athletes foot so long as you do that no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by NudeAl View Post
                Okay I can see it if you are walking home afterwards. Now if you had to spend the rest of your day in a classroom surrounded by others wouldn't you take a shower? In that context I stand by my earlier remarks that not doing so is unsanitary and stinky! Shower shoes or sandals are a good protection against athletes foot so long as you do that no worries.
                I would shower if I worked out in the middle of the day. Sorry that I didn't know the context of your remarks.

I know of a woman runner at our work who ran at lunch and did not take a shower. I mentioned to the people who had to work with her that I was amazed that she could do this and not stink since I would be reeking after a run. They just rolled their eyes and said that she did stink. They tried to not have afternoon meetings with her in confined spaces.

Comment

nudiarist

You cannot ban nudity in a shower or locker room. That's like banning eating at McDonald's
                  Of course you can - some places do just that. I don't think anyone is advocating showering "with your clothes on", but rather with the swimming costume on that you intend to wear in the pool. If you shower thoroughly while wearing a costume, you can do a pretty thorough job, and it makes sure your costume is clean before you go in the communal pool.

It's not a question of "irrational hysterics" either - somply that many people prefer not to have to see nudity.

This is not really a nudist issue, so I can't really see why nudists are getting so animated about it. Nobody is forcing nudists to keep their costumes on when showering at nudist swimming sessions, so why worry about what we textiles do?

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu2630
                    This is not really a nudist issue, so I can't really see why nudists are getting so animated about it. Nobody is forcing nudists to keep their costumes on when showering at nudist swimming sessions, so why worry about what we textiles do?
                    You are right. It is not a nudist issue. It is though, being driven by people who are on the prude or scared end of the spectrum. Those who do not want to be seen naked, nor want to see others naked. Those who are afraid that people who are nude sexually abuse children. This arguably the other end of the spectrum perhaps than nudism.

What gets me about this is the absolute banning of nudity in change rooms. It is just as stupid as saying that everyone must be naked in the change room. When you go to a swimming pool, it is reasonable to expect that you will see some flesh in the change room. Allow those who wish to remain clothed, or who wish to shower in their bathing suit to do so. Allow those who wish to be nude in the process of changing or showering to do that.

This ruling caters to the scared people and is not at all reasonable.

Comment

This is not really a nudist issue, so I can't really see why nudists are getting so animated about it.
                      You are right. It is not a nudist issue. It is a common sense issue, and people with common sense are getting animated about it.

Comment

I would regard the 'excretory' organs to include the sex organs - these organs are either both excretory and sexual, or purely excretory. I would include the flesh immediately around those organs to be also considered inappropriate for exposure. I would further include women's bare breasts because they have a secretory function and very strong sexual connotations in western culture.
                        Don't forget that our skin is the largest excretory organ of our body with all of the sweat glands and sebacious glands. When you go out in public, I am sure you cover up all of your excretory organs. Let me say, we appreciate it. And it is healthy. With all of your skin covered, you are less likely to get skin cancer.

Comment

I didn't say they were "unrepresentative", I said they were "not representative"
                          Fine. Repeat my previous statement replacing "unrepresentative" with "not representative." If the comments I pointed to can be said not to represent the population as a whole, so can the ones you pointed to. We never denied there are others like you (in fact I said the numbers are rising), just that you are at an extreme and not representative of the majority (and we know we are not either).

This argument does not hold up in ANY public place, let alone a public place you choose to go to for pleasure, and that you pay to visit. It should cater for what the people who are likely to use it want - and if they don't like it, you can't expect them to put up with it, and they won't!
                          Yes it does. Are you seriously suggesting the only thing to be considered in any of those situations is the feelings of those who find it objectionable? Nothing else? People should tell the gay rights campaign to pack up then because apparently only those who find it objectionable matter. A few other things I might suggest considering would include health and safety, practicality, cost of making the change, staff views, shareholder interests and the view of those who don't object.

My argument holds in ALL cases.

Or a sign telling customers that they should ask reception at the time of entry for a cubicle key if they want a private shower. Simple.
                          There's only 1 room!!!!! If you take the key on entry no one else will be able to use it until you have finished your session, which could be hours (and no you can't have multiple keys as some people might want to shower naked but not be seen by others). If it is so simple you and your set
                          can use the private room. Then there is no chance of you seeing anyone naked.

-chris

Comment

Showering with clothes on seems unhygenic and very inconsiderate of other persons in the swimming pool. It you do not take down your swimming trunks for showering, the probable minute dried feces will go from around your anis to then be traped in your swim trunks. No matter how well you wipe your anis with toilet paper, there will be very minute particles around the anis that need to be washed away - and out of any swim trunk lining, and the best way for this clensing is to shower nude.

Comment

Stu: "I support the many views expressed on the Mail's site which call for people who want to shower naked to do so in a cubicle."

And many places, as has been mentioned, cannot accommodate private cubicles. For those places that cannot do so, there is no reason to ban nudity in the shower. What they should do is wait until they can accommodate the privacy before they change the rules.

But the reason behind this is irrational and illogical. So what if the students see nudity? I wonder if the students were "offended" or if their parents made a big fuss. It is illogical and irrational to be offended by nudity in a shower. Period. To coddle those fears is to say there is something wrong with the nudity.

The article mentions there have not been any incidents, so this has nothing to do with safety or anything other than the naked body. What I want to know is what is so bad with the adult naked body that is so different than the body of fellow members of the same sex that children should be shielded from it?

If the parents or heads of the children's groups do not want them to use the changing rooms and showers with members of the public there, they should either rent the entire facility for the time they are there or ban the students from changing in the rooms. The problem is theirs, they should not expect everyone else to accommodate them.

Excessive modesty is a deep psychological sickness.

Bob S.

Comment

If pools want people to shower naked before entering a pool, all they have to do is ensure there are sufficient shower cubicles.
                                What if there are no cubicles? Then, what does a person such as yourself, who doesn't want people to see him/her naked and doesn't want to see other people naked, do when that person is done swimming and wants to go home? It seems to me that there are only two options:

1) Take off the wet swim suit (which makes the person naked and observable to other people), dry off, and then put on his/her street clothes.

or

2) Leave the wet swim suit on and then put the street clothes on over it.

Of course, this would apply to all swimmers in the changing area.

What does such a person do in that situation where the facility at which he/she has been swimming has no cubicles?

Comment

Working...
                                X