Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastover Resort has been sold - but will remain a hotel / resort.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastover Resort has been sold - but will remain a hotel / resort.

http://www.wten.com/global/story.asp?s=12080302

Plans as discussed on WTEN-TV's page, as well as the Berkshire Eagle local newspaper, is that the new owners plan to give the resort some "very gentle care" and to re-open it as a resort and hotel.

And this is a personal hope -- that the Eastern Naturist Gathering can return there someday.

I think many of us wish the previous owners, Ticki and Betsy, good wishes for the future.

As many on this board know, Eastover Resort hosted the Eastern Naturist Gathering for many years and it was probably the only extended (week-long) naturist-nudist event that was held at a conventional non-nudist facility. While I look forward to this year's gathering in Pennsylvania, it would be great to have an "Eastover Reunion" at a future time.

Re: Eastover Resort has been sold - but will remain a hotel / resort.

Hope springs eternal, but I just don't see it ever reopening as a resort. Starting out 5 million dollars in the hole, combined with the millions it would take to address the years of deferred maintenance, I don't see how the new owners could possibly make a decent return on their investment. Plus, who would their target market be? It's sad but true that the market for the type of semi-rustic resort that Eastover was has been shrinking for years. If Eastover couldn't make it with its long history and established client base, what chance does a new establishment have? How about Eastover remade as an upscale resort? It would be awfully tough competing with the Cranwell Resort, just down the road.

I hope I'm wrong. It wouldn't be unprecedented, as I didn't think that Tiki & Betsy would even be able to find a buyer.

Joe

Here's the Berkshire Eagle story.

Like a ghost from the past, Eastover's website is still online.

Is this destined to be just a memory?

Comment

Originally posted by Procrastinator View Post
      Hope springs eternal, but I just don't see it ever reopening as a resort. Starting out 5 million dollars in the hole, combined with the millions it would take to address the years of deferred maintenance, I don't see how the new owners could possibly make a decent return on their investment. Plus, who would their target market be? It's sad but true that the market for the type of semi-rustic resort that Eastover was has been shrinking for years. If Eastover couldn't make it with its long history and established client base, what chance does a new establishment have? How about Eastover remade as an upscale resort? It would be awfully tough competing with the Cranwell Resort, just down the road.

I hope I'm wrong. It wouldn't be unprecedented, as I didn't think that Tiki & Betsy would even be able to find a buyer.
      I agree, I'm rather surprised that someone jumped up and bought it. On the other hand, if they paid cash for it (we don't know what the arrangements were) -- they can restore one piece of the resort at a time. If the owner(s) aren't carrying a note on the place they can do a lot more.

One of the reasons the economy is generally slower is that those people who have money AREN'T investing it, they're sitting on it! To buy a piece of property like that **at that price** might not be all that much of a risk.

Project financing is difficult to come by right now, but I believe we're slowly -- and gradually -- coming out of this recession.

It has the potential to be an upscale resort -- in fact, it WAS sort-of an upscale resort at one time, if you look at the 1950s and 1960s pictures of the place. People got dressed up for dinner, they had big bands, cabarets, and the pool areas? They always were decked out in their Janztens!

It also was a ski area, and a somewhat adequate one for its time. It wasn't Stowe or Mount Snow, but it was a step above the neighborhood kiddie hill.

If TNS can't get back there, the various New England and New York clubs might get together and plan an off-season long-weekend get-together there. Given the success and raised attendance of the non-landed clubs in our area in the past year, I don't think it's that far-fetched of an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by usuallylurk View Post
        I agree, I'm rather surprised that someone jumped up and bought it. On the other hand, if they paid cash for it (we don't know what the arrangements were) -- they can restore one piece of the resort at a time. If the owner(s) aren't carrying a note on the place they can do a lot more.
        It's still going to take a huge infusion of cash just to stabilize things. I can see needing to spend an immediate $100,000+ just in critical roof replacements. The property was kept very clean, but things are REALLY run down. Have you ever peeked into the indoor pool equipment room? Then there are all the needed safety upgrades. Year after year, going into the Tally-Ho, I was amazed to still see the exposed paper vapor barrier of the the insulation at the ceiling. If one of the light fixtures that they had in the trusses ever sparked a fire up there, it likely would have flashed a across the entire room in less than a handful of minutes. That room was a tragedy waiting to happen.

You can see my vacations usually end up being a busman's holiday - much to the dismay of Rita!

One of the reasons the economy is generally slower is that those people who have money AREN'T investing it, they're sitting on it! To buy a piece of property like that **at that price** might not be all that much of a risk.

Project financing is difficult to come by right now, but I believe we're slowly -- and gradually -- coming out of this recession.
        Yeah, it's pretty much a given that if the buyer did finance the purchase, it wasn't through a commercial lender. And buying it certainly wasn't much of a risk if it was bought as a long term investment. At about $11,000 per acre, lock, stock & barrel, it was a steal. The buyer can sit on it for a while til the economy rebounds, then sell off portions for development, razing most, if not all of the buildings. Of course, I hope that doesn't happen, but it would probably make the most financial sense.

It has the potential to be an upscale resort -- in fact, it WAS sort-of an upscale resort at one time, if you look at the 1950s and 1960s pictures of the place. People got dressed up for dinner, they had big bands, cabarets, and the pool areas? They always were decked out in their Janztens!
        The 50's and 60's aren't coming back. The heyday of that type of resort is long gone. Look at all of the Catskill resorts that are no more - and closer to me, all the long-gone Pocono resorts.

It also was a ski area, and a somewhat adequate one for its time. It wasn't Stowe or Mount Snow, but it was a step above the neighborhood kiddie hill.
        Again, it wouldn't fly today. Today it's nothing for people to put their skis on the roof rack and drive 100 miles in the Subaru to a real ski resort.

On a side note, I'm glad I was able to experience Eastover's chair lift the first two years the Gathering was held there. It was pretty cool.

If TNS can't get back there, the various New England and New York clubs might get together and plan an off-season long-weekend get-together there. Given the success and raised attendance of the non-landed clubs in our area in the past year, I don't think it's that far-fetched of an idea.
        Count me in! I can come up with 15-20 people who would be interested. The group that used to rent the Kittle House at Berkshire Vista on President's Day weekend still hasn't found a replacement place since the owners moved into the house and stopped renting it out two years ago. Well, let me say that we haven't found a place that everyone could agree on (as far as driving distance). I came up with a suitable place in the Poconos, about 25 miles away from me, but it was vetoed. :disappointed:

Joe

Which group do you suppose is having the most fun?

Comment

Hopefully - whoever bought it -- is looking toward those things ... and if it was a cash deal, they may have kept enough aside to accommodate that. Well, assume $5 million to buy the place and fixtures, etc., and then $1 million in improvements? That makes it well worth over $6m for starters.

If they played their cards right, after that, they could likely generate revenue to justify their capital investment.

Development? Honestly, that's difficult to answer, because Lenox, Massachusetts is not close to any economic metro area. It's strictly a leisure area, and a summer-autumn only one at that. Lenox is still undeveloped enough - you can easily buy a lot there and build your own house.

One thing a revitalized, reconstructed Eastover Resort *could* do is market itself more as a conference venue than simply a leisure weekend / special interest vacation / reunion venue.

Comment

Hopefully, some day we 'll be able to once again raise a glass back in the stalls. But whatever happens to it, the memories will last forever.

Joe

Eastover Dawn

Comment

Well lo and behold ..... Eastover is set to reopen July 20. It will be a greatly scaled back Eastover, in fact it's being referred to as a B&B. The pool isn't operational and I doubt the Tally-Ho will be utilized.

The old Eastover website is still being used, with some modifications. I don't know if that's by design or by necessity. They do seem to be keeping some of the old Eastover traditions, such as Kids Camp. It would be great to see the buffalo races survive.

I sure do wish the new owners luck. Who knows, maybe there's the tiniest chance that the ENG will be back there someday.

Joe

http://www.eastover.com/specials.php

Comment

Working...
              X