Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Article: Nudity unusual but harmless

Originally posted by LumpyPostage View Post
    That's normal English. It's Americans who are unusual.

But generally harmless.
    Hear, hear! I get bombarded on the internet with so many American spellings that I am afraid I may be getting contaminated and sometimes start wondering which is which.

Comment

I may be getting contaminated and sometimes start wondering which is which
      I know this is a bit off topic, but there are certain patterns to help you remember.

The first is that words ending in the -ize" morpheme in American English (AmE) usually end in "-ise" or "yse" in British English (BrE) - so words like words like criticize and analyze become criticise and analyse.

Another is the "-our" syllable in BrE - words like colour, neighbour, flavour, tumour etc- just end in -or in AmE, becoming color, neighbor, flavor, tumor etc.

The other main one is words that many words that end in "-er" in AmE end in "-re" in BrE, such as liter/litre, theater/theatre and center/centre.

Hope that helps!

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu2630 View Post
        The other main one is words that many words that end in "-er" in AmE end in "-re" in BrE, such as liter/litre, theater/theatre and center/centre.
        Oddly though, when used as part of a proper name it is becoming American convention to use theatre, or even when referring to the institution itself.

For instance, the name of the theater in Sometown, USA is the Sometown Theatre.

Comment

Originally posted by atalanta View Post
          Hear, hear! I get bombarded on the internet with so many American spellings that I am afraid I may be getting contaminated and sometimes start wondering which is which.
          It seems as if the English have only 25 letters in their alphabet...no "z." Instead of "criticize," it's "criticise." Zees seem to always be replaced by esses. I wonder if "zoo" and "zebra" are "soo" and "sebra" across the pond.

Comment

Originally posted by Kouak View Post
            It seems as if the English have only 25 letters in their alphabet...no "z." Instead of "criticize," it's "criticise." Zees seem to always be replaced by esses. I wonder if "zoo" and "zebra" are "soo" and "sebra" across the pond.
            They are zeds, not zees! And zeds have their place, as in zigzag, zero, zone, zenith, zealot.
            This is sending me to sleep! Zzzzzzzz...

Comment

Originally posted by Naturist Mark View Post
              Oddly though, when used as part of a proper name it is becoming American convention to use theatre, or even when referring to the institution itself.

For instance, the name of the theater in Sometown, USA is the Sometown Theatre.
              Thanks, Mark. I didn't know that.

Stu

Comment

Zeds and Zees, potAYtoes potAAtoes, pajamas pyjamas, theater theatre, male nipples female nipples -- yay for diversity! -- and it's all totally harmless!

Comment

They are zeds, not zees! And zeds have their place, as in zigzag, zero, zone, zenith, zealot.
                  This is sending me to sleep! Zzzzzzzz...
                  zed,zed,zed,zed.... (a deeper sleep?)

Comment

I actually use some British spellings such as behaviour and theatre online only.

Bob S.

Comment

Now if only we can get you Americans to use proper grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by LumpyPostage View Post
                        Now if only we can get you Americans to use proper grammar.
                        I'd be happy if we could just sort out the "there, their, they're" and "your, you're" issues.

And despite that being a pet peeve of mine, I'm embarrassed to admit to how often I've caught myself using them wrong. I blame age and not enough naked time.

Comment

Y'all got it all wrong. Come down to Texas, we'll teach you proper English.

Comment

Originally posted by Safebare View Post
                            Y'all got it all wrong. Come down to Texas, we'll teach you proper English.
                            Well that might be better than "Astrylya" (that big island down south of Asia).

Comment

Well that might be better than "Astrylya" (that big island down south of Asia).
                              I've learned that the word "Australian" is pronounced "strain" and that you wash up in the 'barf' ... I might need to hire a translator if I visited my 'Strain' cousins there.

Comment

Not to bring it back to the topic or anything, but I thought it was a good article, especially from a non-nudist perspective. Then again, most of the articles you see in papers about intrepid reporters who don't normally do something nude, but then do, usually wind up with the author mentioning that the people were generally nice and the nudity wasn't that huge of a deal. Often, though, they end with a caveat about how they probably wouldn't do it again, lest they be perceived as weird, I suppose. So, I was happy to see that her comments ended without that hitch at the end.

As for spellings, I think we wore "pyjamas" here in the 1600s. Back when we played with our "poppets." If I went out in what I wore to bed, she might take issue with that as well, because I wasn't relegated to the beach.

Comment

Working...
                                X