Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Woman Kicked Out of Church for Breastfeeding Baby

Local Woman Kicked Out of Church for Breastfeeding Baby

Church is supposed to be a place where you can fellowship with others and feel comfortable.
    Exactly

Re: Local Woman Kicked Out of Church for Breastfeeding Baby

Church is supposed to be a place where you can fellowship with others and feel comfortable.
    And clearly others did not feel comfortable having a woman breastfeeding a baby during the service. I'm not sure why the young woman couldn't be a bit more prepared and do this *before* walking into church. It's not like she was driving along the road and decided to turn in.

Also, this is really fellowship with herself, not others, so I don't see the logic in this argument. There is a time and a place for everything and not everyone around me will agree that I've picked the correct time or place. That's life in the big city..

Comment

"Do this *before* walking into church"? "Fellowship with herself"?? This is about feeding her baby. It is supposed to be a natural thing to do. Instead, people sexualize the breast, and accuse her of being like a stripper. That's nuts.

I was on a church bus trip to Whitehorse. There was a breastfeeding mother on the bus. Thankfully, that group had more Christian compassion for her, and did not see it as a stripper event. Good thing too, because it is about a 20 hour bus trip over all.

Comment

I wonder if the bikers kick all women out who feed their children. Even bottle fed. If one of the bikers were to bottle fee a baby, would they go to the toilet to do it? Anyone who eats in church is kicked out? Do they have communion in the restrooms too? Yes, I know I am taking it to the extreme. I just don't understand their concern.

What really surprises me is that NO ONE stood up for the woman. Her man? Other women? Other male bikers? What's wrong with these people?

Comment

Originally posted by Boreas View Post
          I was on a church bus trip to Whitehorse. There was a breastfeeding mother on the bus. Thankfully, that group had more Christian compassion for her, and did not see it as a stripper event. Good thing too, because it is about a 20 hour bus trip over all.
          Twenty hours on a bus is not the same as an hour church service. Every church I've been to has a crying room with glass and sound so you can see and participate but those around you don't need to be exposed (a pun!) to the crying babies, restless children and nursing mothers. That would seem a better place at that time.

A crowd is not required to conform to the wishes of an individual, and an individual is not required to conform to the wishes of a crowd. When people forget either side of that sentence, there will be friction. It's predictable. Predictable human behavior is not an outrage or even news; it's just predictable human behavior.

Comment

My church does not have one of those rooms......and babies do not always conform to our schedules. Breasts are designed to feed babies. The woman who fed her baby on our bus, likely would have been okay breastfeeding in the church too. In fact, I believe she did feed her daughter in the chuch in Whitehorse.

It is a REALLY sad commentary on society that a woman and her baby is kicked out of a church because mom decided to feed her baby. So much for the land of the free.....

Comment

Originally posted by LamontCranston View Post
              Twenty hours on a bus is not the same as an hour church service..
              To a hungry infant it is pretty much the same. Too bad Jesus hates the little children ...

Comment

The church I attended when I grew up had a "cry room." It was not a feeding room. It was meant solely for the purpose of not having a crying baby with the rest so we could hear the sermon/service. Many people kept their children with the main group unless they could not get them to stop crying. Their other choice would have been to gather the rest of the family and leave church. Better to have only 2 segregate themselves than the whole family miss the service.

Comment

Lamont: "And clearly others did not feel comfortable having a woman breastfeeding a baby during the service. I'm not sure why the young woman couldn't be a bit more prepared and do this *before* walking into church. It's not like she was driving along the road and decided to turn in."

What they did was against the law. It does not matter how anyone else feels. The law is as follows:
                  Ga. Code An. § 31-1-9

The breast-feeding of a baby is an important and basic act of nurture which should be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health. A mother may breast-feed her baby in any location where the mother and baby are otherwise authorized to be.

I can't see any wiggle room for this. Breastfeeding is not exposing the breast for that long and it is not the business of anyone else. They should acknowledge in the church that the breast was made by G*d to feed a mother's child and for no other reason. Since being fruitful and multiplying is one of the first commandments, and since breastfeeding is a part of that, it should be a blessed event. Unfortunately, they have intolerant people even in church.

Bob S.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob S. View Post
                    Lamont:
                    What they did was against the law. It does not matter how anyone else feels. The law is as follows:
                    Ga. Code An. § 31-1-9

The breast-feeding of a baby is an important and basic act of nurture which should be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health. A mother may breast-feed her baby in any location where the mother and baby are otherwise authorized to be.

I can't see any wiggle room for this. Breastfeeding is not exposing the breast for that long and it is not the business of anyone else. T
                    Apparently not everyone has heard. Any attempt to make a church follow the law everyone else has to follow is an unacceptable attack on religious freedom, and is exactly the same as what Hitler did. It's been all over the news these last few weeks.

Comment

I guess this is one of the things that makes us a more "advanced" culture. My experience in the third world makes me say it would be a rare church service where not one mother could be found nursing a baby at some time during the service. In fact, I know of one time when the baby in question at a baptism got hungry and the priest baptized the baby while the baby was nursing.

And to Lamont: Cry rooms are not universal either.

I grew up in small rural, declining population areas and the sound of a baby crying in church would be a welcome sign. It's not all bad.

Comment

The church I attend does not have a cry room. I am glad, I like the sounds of children in church. There was a move to build one during the remodeling process and I stood against it. The remodeling has yet to take place. Nursing a baby in church, no big deal. But I know some in our church might not feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Biker View Post
                          The church I attend does not have a cry room. I am glad, I like the sounds of children in church. There was a move to build one during the remodeling process and I stood against it. The remodeling has yet to take place. Nursing a baby in church, no big deal. But I know some in our church might not feel the same.

I agree with you and someone else who said that it is nice to hear the sound of babies in church. On Christmas Eve, we had three babies in church. We had a fun spell, where one started crying, triggering another who triggered the third. They did not all cry at once, one followed the other. It was a nice sound, and the parents did soothe the babies, so it did not last long.

Comment

You would think by now I would not be shocked by fools and their mental illness against breastfeeding, or for that matter the oversexualization of the female breast. Stripper?!? Really? This just proves that there has to be more promotion for breastfeeding in general.
                            Last edited by nimrod; 02-21-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Mark: "Any attempt to make a church follow the law everyone else has to follow is an unacceptable attack on religious freedom, and is exactly the same as what Hitler did. It's been all over the news these last few weeks."

I'm glad we agree with this. Hitler attacked religious freedom as soon as he came into power.

But this topic has nothing to do with religious freedom, rather rules of behaviour in these places. No religion has a tenet against breastfeeding.

Bob S.

Comment

Working...
                              X