Journalist Goes Topless During Interview With Mayor to Make a Point

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journalist Goes Topless During Interview With Mayor to Make a Point

This is pretty funny. I love the woman's courage and the mayor's reaction.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...To-Prove-Point

Journalist Goes Topless During Interview With Mayor to Make a Point

Searching for a way to draw attention to the empowering message of International Go Topless Day, Canadian newspaper columnist and radio talk show host Lori Welbourne decided the best way to go about that was to go topless herself.

http://gawker.com/journalist-goes-to...-to-1201336477

Comment

Re: Journalist Goes Topless During Interview With Mayor to Make a Point

that was great.. but they wouldn't have blurred out a mans chest.

Comment

Originally posted by labrat93562 View Post
        that was great.. but they wouldn't have blurred out a mans chest.
        "They" = apparently, Ms. Welbourne herself. If she was "true to the cause", and willing to go all out, she would have released an un-pixellated video to one of the uncensored sites.

Look at it this way - Mayor Walter Gray - didn't get up and walk out, he seemed to be a good sport , even though her tone (and intent) was to rankle and tease him. She made HER point, but that's not what an interview with a public official is supposed to be about. Ms. Welbourne, good luck at getting interviews with other public officials.

This was less of an interview, and more self-promotion for the blogger, the "Go Topless Day", and it's entertainment. I don't know what point she was trying to make with the mayor himself. Mr. Gray was honest, and said that while women being topfree is not illegal, it can be distracting. Honest response, and then she went on and started making weird comments about earlobes.

Many bloggers aspire to be paid journalists in a large market. A stunt like this isn't going to land her a better job at a TV station or newspaper. Well, maybe, "Naked News", if she wants to come east and live in Toronto.

She seems to be smart enough to know this. So = view it for what it is. Ms. Welbourne herself has succeeded in making herself viral. Taking a note from Amanda Palmer -- "get noticed any way you can."

I might add -- I have been to many nudist events through the years --- in which nudist parks and activities are featured by the media. Occasionally, the journalist will join in our activities. But I've never seen him or her do it as part of the news feature -- when a reporter does decide to "take the plunge", it's always after the work is done and in confidence.
        Last edited by usuallylurk; 08-27-2013, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Here's an update. I think (?) it's the same organization. As usual with any topic involving nudity, I find the reader comments section quite dismaying...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/topless-wom...002205561.html

Comment

"More than 50 women marched through downtown Vancouver on Sunday, baring their breasts in the name of gender equality."

My problem with these "Topless Day" protests/activities/whatever is they never go topless somewhere women should want and be expected to go topless - i.e. the beach! No men hang around city hall with their shirts off. If you want to express your equality, go down to the local beach or park and enjoy the day top free. Other women who are there might even be emboldened to join in. You might even start a tradition where that beach/park becomes tolerant of top freedom. That would be real progress.

- Jasen.

Comment

I like these two replies:

From Didi:
              Just shy of 20 years ago women marched topless on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. They felt women should have to right to go topless. They succeeded and now women in Ontario have the right. I live in Ontario and go to Ottawa quite often. I have yet to see any woman exercise this right. I guess you don't always want to do something, but would like to leave that option open just in case you may change your mind. I agree with the concept. But personally, if I were to march in a protest, it might be for something more important than letting my boobs flop out if the mood should strike.

From Fry:
              Ok, so they're marching topless for the right to go topless which they already have? It made more sense to me in the 90s when they were doing it to have the law changed. If you want to go topless go ahead, I see women at the beach do it often on hot days. There's no one stopping you.

Comment

Originally posted by jasenj View Post
                ...My problem with these "Topless Day" protests/activities/whatever is they never go topless somewhere women should want and be expected to go topless - i.e. the beach! No men hang around city hall with their shirts off....
                "Topless" is of course just highly symbolic, like riding in the front of the bus -- something that in the context of equal rights should be of trivial importance, except that people keep getting arrested for it.

City Hall is the repository of rules that make trivial things criminal. So perhaps its less bother for women to hang around there to get arrested, rather than to get arrested at the beach and have to suffer the long ride into town. Men don't face this dilemma, so can head directly to the beach, rather than hanging around city hall.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kouak;335276]I like these two replies:

Just shy of 20 years ago women marched topless on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. They felt women should have to right to go topless. They succeeded and now women in Ontario have the right. I live in Ontario and go to Ottawa quite often. I have yet to see any woman exercise this right. I guess you don't always want to do something, but would like to leave that option open just in case you may change your mind. I agree with the concept. But personally, if I were to march in a protest, it might be for something more important than letting my boobs flop out if the mood should strike.
                  [quote]

Having grown up in the sixties - I've seen protests and seen people arrested in them -- civil rights marches, the Vietnam war, anti-conscription, cuts in services thought to be essential, etc.

But getting arrested, or risking arrest, for the "right" to go nude, isn't one of the things that I'd do, or support.

The topfree issue - women can go topfree in Maine, where I spend a lot of time. But I have never seen a woman topfree in the street there. There was a march in Maine around 2-3 years ago, yet the march's organizers complained over men ogling them, and people taking pictures. Go figure. And top-free does not appear to be a growing trend among women on the beaches there, even in liberal, alternative lifestyle-friendly Ogunquit.

Women have been granted the right to go top-free in many places -- but they also have the right to keep their shirts on, and it appears that most have chosen the latter right.

Comment

Working...
                  X