Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religions influence on nudity

http://strix.org.uk/posts/A-Higher-Art,-Nude-Ballet

"One might go further to accuse religion of being overly concerned with sex when it hides women's bodies behind habits, burquas and frumpy 'decent' clothing. The body God is supposed to have made for you in his own image is apparently hideously shameful. I think this religious puffing and scolding is nothing more than repressed sexual feelings being manifested.

If we assume there is a God, and that he created this huge and magnificent universe, uncountable galaxies and our own beautiful planet, is he really going to care that animal's genitals are showing? Does He spend his time watching over the whole world to check everybody's got their clothes on. Like a farmer watching over his chickens to make sure they're all wearing their pants. Maybe He's scandalised to see boobies, and creates a hell so improbable you'd think only humans could have dreamed it, to send naked people to. Why stop at people? Maybe He works up a good foamy godlike wrath over all the naked monkeys and dolphins. Even snails have genitals, you religious types should be running around clothing them, go get started right away!

Anyhoo... If nudity were the norm there would be no issue regarding it being sexual. When Victorian girls would show some ankle that society's prudes went into conniptions, in a different society I see ankles fairly often and they've never inspired much 'impure thought' in my eager head. So I think this religious notion of decency is at best full of crap, and that's being kind. If I were feeling less kind I'd talk a bit about the Taliban and it's American counterpart on the far right.

But... I *do* think that nudity has a sexual element, because nudists are people, and people are innately, deeply sexual. We are mammals, after all, whether our ankles show or not.

Nudism I think gives a little more honesty about human sex, and that's what rattles the wingnuts. Saying that sex is not only normal, but an inseperable part of a healthy, happy human being strikes right at the religious notions of sexual 'innocence' and chastity.

In order for society to accept human beings as just human beings, and treat them as such, we're going to need to get rid of a lot of antiquated superstitious garbage that is the legacy of centuries of western Chirstianity. The right is going to be upset with any progress made. Let them.

*breathe deep*"
    Last edited by David77; 10-30-2011, 10:36 PM.

Re: Religions influence on nudity

Some profound thoughts, David. I feel that many religions teach what they want to and not necessarily what the bible says. Without getting into a big discussion, I feel that the nude human body is one of the Creator's most excellent works and the idea of christian religions or any other being opposed to it is against bible teaching.

Comment

Not all religions are Christian.

Comment

One of the great things about Pagans is that they celebrate the human body. Sky clad festivals abound. We've been to a few sky clad hand fastings where the intention is to show that there is nothing to hide in the relationship and that the new marraige is starting out as fresh as can be. Quite moving.

Comment

Originally posted by LumpyPostage View Post
          Not all religions are Christian.
          Since you are in Israel, tell us about the attitudes of Orthodox, Reform, Conservative and Secular Jewish communities in regard to separation of gender and of nudity.

I know that the Orthodox in their synagoges separate the genders at their worship serivices. Men and women, I think, are not allowed to sit together. It would follow that viewing the other gender's nudity in a naturist club would not be sanctioned.

A good percentage of menbers of our painting group at the artist' guild seemingly were either Conservative or Reform Jews as they had no problem with glancing at nude models, whether they be male or female painters, or male or female nude models.
          Last edited by David77; 11-02-2011, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Interesting topic, it does appear religions, as well as the arts/entertainment, often take their cues from public opinion. Although it does take a long time for it to happen.

Comment

I'm not qualified to speak for such disparate groups of people.

Not sitting together at shul has nothing to do with seeing people naked or going to nudist resorts. That's like comparing Disneyland with purple. I've heard of nudist shuls but those are not common. I'm pretty sure most people are fully clothed otherwise.

I've read nothing that says nudity is forbidden. In fact, some of our rituals require it. Wearing clothes in mikveh is absolutely unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by LumpyPostage View Post
                I'm not qualified to speak for such disparate groups of people.

Not sitting together at shul has nothing to do with seeing people naked or going to nudist resorts. That's like comparing Disneyland with purple. I've heard of nudist shuls but those are not common. I'm pretty sure most people are fully clothed otherwise.

I've read nothing that says nudity is forbidden. In fact, some of our rituals require it. Wearing clothes in mikveh is absolutely unacceptable.
                Lumpy Postage,

Thank you very much for my enlightment.

In the above post are mentioned a Mikvah and a Shul.

Persons who do not know what is a Mikveh , the following webpage will explain.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikveh

A shul is described here.
                http://www.jewfaq.org/shul.htm
                Last edited by David77; 11-06-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

David 77 you are to smart ,let me warn you common sense an understanding will not be tolerated you are a candidate for stoning,so am i ,your not alone. best regards .NAKENONE

Comment

Synagogue is what Americans call shul. I just assumed everybody knew that. It's like saying you went to church instead of you went to the cathedral.

Comment

I have been a naturist since the 60's (yes, I am an old man). I have been involved with evangelical churches since birth.

I suffered for years struggling with the guilt laid on me by some well meaning people. At the center of all their arguments is that nudism burns the fire of lust. This means to them that the fact that I go into a situation where there are women without clothes, I am actually lusting after them. Yet these same people go to our local beaches in Southern California where the only thing that hides a nude body is less than 10% of the area being covered. Not only that, but some of the newer "non-denominational" churches actually hold baptisms at these same beaches. So they come out of the water and see scantily clad young ladies and they are so pure they don't have any lust in their hearts?

So many of the young women at the beaches love to show as much of their bodies as possible. They expose so much of their pubic area that it becomes necessary to remove pubic hair. Now I want to know, is it pubic hair that leads to lust? Or is it nipples on breasts that make the breasts a source of lust? A man will lust after a woman who is fully clothed. It is time for people of all religions to stop blaming nudity for lust.

Comment

Good one.

Guess the sex connection is the reason we get REALLY uptight about young uns viewing naked adults? There is absolutely NOTHING in the Bible about such a way of thinking.

Comment

The body is the temple of the soul, It is the intent of the person, without covering, that determines the spirituality of the experience.

Comment

When I listen the news I think that clothing causes moresexual problems than nudity to most of people. If we add there some religious rules like selibathy or else it is even causing more problems to persons.

Comment

One German priest once said to me that the sin is not what you eyes see. The sin is what you brain thinks.

Comment

Working...
                              X