Does anyone else do nude meditation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else do nude meditation?

I used to do it in the sanctuary of my home before I had roommates, but wasn't able to get much effect from it. That might be because I wasn't in a natural setting. Recently I've found a large strip of woods across a lake with no development. So when summer rolls around, I'm thinking of heading over there, especially since the only way there is to swim. And I never see people swim all the way across. I swam half way once, but it hadn't previously occured to me that the other side is a place of uninterrupted peace.

Re: Does anyone else do nude meditation?

Are you talking about nude meditation as depicted below? In that case: yes. I actually "discovered" it some years ago, as I was mountain hiking and reached a rock formation that was shielding me from the trail. I decided to make it a "nude break', and as I sat there overlooking the valley, I had a "moment" where I sort of lost myself in the mountain and the clouds. No doubt, my nudity accentuated the whole "one with nature" experience.
    It's nearly impossible to reach that state of mind (or no-mind) at the nude beach or resort. There is simply too much activity going on all around. Depending on where you live, I recommend an isolated area by the lake or woods. Make sure that there is little to no chance of passers-by. Wear some items that you can remove or put back on quickly. You can fold them and sit on them. I recommend the half lotus, which is the posture the lady below is sitting in. Gaze lightly ahead and down - eyes nearly closed - and focus on your breathing. As you get more advanced, you can stop focusing on your breathing and just feel the air, sun and nature all around you, immersing yourself in it.
    I think most people see nude meditation as New Agey, when in fact the Digamabra (Sky-clad sect of the Jains) have been doing it for like a gazillion years.Click image for larger version

Name:	68d42718e830bd1fe2c9dd545cf2f866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	8524Click image for larger version

Name:	e91b55ecc19b68dc4dca564150016d84.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	8525Click image for larger version

Name:	61a397927040755353ba9bfdef003e33.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	8526

Comment

Interesting that so many seem to automatically associate meditation with the eastern philosophies / religions. Christians have practiced the Lectio Divina for nearly the entire two millennia history of Christianity. The traditional four-part form consists of reading (usually scripture), prayer, meditation, and contemplation. Though in reality all four are prayer.

Yes, I do it naked sometimes. Clothed sometimes. God doesn't care. Neither do I.

gn225

Comment

Yes, the pictures do accurately depict what I have in mind.

I first started meditating to wash away depression as a teenager. You know how those silly hormones go growing up. It's worked wonders as a remedy. Somehow, I've also enhanced my intelligence. Formerly in special education classes as a high school student back in 2001, I have evolved to be as smart or smarter then most people I know. This leads me to wonder how far things can improve with continued meditation. I'm not suggesting that it's a be-all / end-all magickal remedy for all life's problems, but it has certainly proved to help. It could just be a matter of releasing stress and getting more oxygen to the brain, especially if out of the house and in a woodland environment. I would like to learn other types of meditations.

Comment

Nude meditation has always been a part of my life.

Comment

i start my day with morning prayer, and usually spend about thirty minutes or so in prayer. not strictly meditation, though.

since i almost always sleep naked, my morning prayer time is also spent in the nude.

i can relate to what nudony said about being naked -- and quiet -- in nature. i have had numerous experiences of "communing with nature" while naked, and i agree that the experience is somehow transcendent. there is something about being in nature with no barriers between oneself and creation that puts you in touch with, well, the Creator.

Comment

Originally posted by nuovonudo View Post
              ... no barriers between oneself and creation that puts you in touch with, well, the Creator.
              Contemplating creation facilitates contemplation of the Creator. Happy coincidence, that. Nicely said, nuovo.

gn225

Comment

thanks, gn225. you're too kind.

this thread makes me long for spring and warmer days. far too chilly here to contemplate creation with no (clothing) barriers!

Comment

Originally posted by nuovonudo View Post
                  thanks, gn225. you're too kind.

this thread makes me long for spring and warmer days. far too chilly here to contemplate creation with no (clothing) barriers!
                  The simplicity and purity of the wintertime landscape brings me strangely closer to the simplicity and purity of God. An ascetic view, which of course lends itself to contemplation.

But then, I'm weird.

I agree that the cold unfortunately means that this ascetic meditation on divine simplicity can only be done (a) bundled up in wool, (b) looking out a window, (c) from a hot tub, or (d) naked for mere seconds. A meditatio nudum celeriter so to speak.

gn225

Comment

Originally posted by gn225 View Post
                    The simplicity and purity of the wintertime landscape brings me strangely closer to the simplicity and purity of God... [but] the cold unfortunately means that this ascetic meditation on divine simplicity can only be done (a) bundled up in wool, (b) looking out a window, (c) from a hot tub, or (d) naked for mere seconds. A meditatio nudum celeriter so to speak.
                    Nude meditation by season?
                    • winter = quickly = meditatio nudum celeriter
                    • spring = rejoicing = meditatio nudum laeter
                    • summer = lingering = meditatio nudum producter
                    • autumn = ready to run for cover = meditatio nudum prudenter
                    Last edited by Agde; 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agde View Post
                      Nude meditation by season?
                      • winter = quickly = meditatio nudum celeriter
                      • spring = rejoicing = meditatio nudum laeter
                      • summer = lingering = meditatio nudum producter
                      • autumn = ready to run for cover = meditatio nudum prudenter
                      Love it, thanks! I knew that high school Latin would eventually come in handy.

gn225

Comment

I prefer to pray the Rosary nude (the way I pray the Rosary, it acts much like a mantra, I think). When I pray the Office at home or at the beach, I frequently do so nude. I think there's a benefit to doing so, I think there's an element of dropping facade's, both spiritually and mentally when praying and/or meditating.

Bill
                        Long Island

Comment

What is meditation, is it Yoga? I'm not sure what Ypga is either, however I heard a bit of talk a bout of lately, maybe it's becoming a popular thing.

I tried to do it a few weeks ago (from what I know). One of my best friends is into that. ANother one of my friends who was with me, said to sit where I had lots of space, sit up with back straight and both legs bent so that both feet are pressing against one another, and have the feet as close to you as possible. I can't move my legs as freely as I used to, I'm not sure why. I can not bend me legs I;m in a L shape position. If I were to lay down, I can get barely 45* of I'm lucky, but that puts quite a strain on my legs., also the same with if I was over my back, and put my legs up. When I was a lot younger, I used to move my legs a lot further. My body has worn down quite a bit since then, and I'm only 23!

Anyway, back to my Yoga experience, my friend was only teaching me from what she knows. My best friend who does Yoga, hardly does it when other people are around, only when alone, because of peace and quite. I guess it is a way to get peace with yourself. My friends are really close, and we do everything together. When I remember to ask Lexi (my Yoga friend) to teach me, I keep forgetting.

Comment

Keep on exercising and your legs will move better. You're only 23!

Comment

Originally posted by ThalUtat View Post
                              I prefer to pray the Rosary nude (the way I pray the Rosary, it acts much like a mantra, I think). When I pray the Office at home or at the beach, I frequently do so nude. I think there's a benefit to doing so, I think there's an element of dropping facade's, both spiritually and mentally when praying and/or meditating.

Bill
                              Long Island
                              I couldn't agree more that physical nakedness helps with the spiritual nakedness that is so important to prayer.

gn225

Comment

Working...
                              X