X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans will understand ...

Especially combat veterans will grasp the meaning of the following.

That's a good one Nach!! I sometimes think I'm still there. Back when I was dead, there was no light to see anywhere. When I was rescusitated, I was asked about it. When I said it was dark, somebody pointed out that I went the wrong way.

Comment

Deffinately! I sought adventure and was terrorized when I experienced it!
      I did my job, though!

Comment

Well, when I joined the Navy in 1963 I was seeking relief from the boredom of school and I found it.

And, at the end of my assignment on a Charleston-based destroyer, when I turned down assignments that were taking me back to schools, either to teach or to learn, I was following the same path.

So I wound up with Third Marines in DaNang.

Comment

That is oh-so-true! Fires at sea are NO fun.

Comment

At some point in time we all shal die, our bodies will rot returning the elements that comprise our cells back to the earth from whence it came. So be it. Yet our spirit will continue on as our soul, our spirit, our being walks yet another life beyond this one. That life is eternal and is based on what we learn here. We are meek, we are ignorant. We are human. We are but one small step above the animal where we can beleive in God Almighty, an animal cannot conceive of that. And that is all that saves us from death being final.

Comment

I was told, and tend to agree from experience, that there are no athiests in foxholes.

Comment

I put two tours in hell 68-70.

Comment

My grandmother once told me that all men/women that have served in the military go to heaven, because they've already done their time in hell. Nuff said.

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Buzzer:
                    I was told, and tend to agree from experience, that there are no athiests in foxholes.

This is a myth that satisfies the theists.

Comment

We all have our own beliefs I know what mine are and I won't bore you with them.

This may not fit precisely on this topic but I have to vent.

I just had one of the most horrible experiences of my life which I hope I wonn't have to repeat. I had to go and tell a young wife that her husband and father of her children had been killed in Iraq. Unless you have done this or have received the news you have no idea how gut wrenching and terrible it is. They are going through some tough times and I feel connected even though I never met the family before or the deceased. It's really too much for me to relate here it's just that I know in times like this often religion or faith whatever you want to call it is the only comfort the family can find.

Comment

A persons faith heals all wounds. Veterans learn this through the 'buddy' system, especially during war time. You don't necesarily have to be religious either to have faith.

Veteran, during wartime, become more like 'family' rather than friends or buddies. You grow to be more respectful and trustworthy of each others actions. When you lose a fellow soldier, comrade, etc., you lose a family member. The loss stays with you for life. Sure, the loss fades, but the memory is implanted.

Not being a Veteran during wartime, I have experienced a personal life-threatening situation that I can relate to, that can be translated over to the battlefield, as far as being 'family' goes. I know the close-knit group of guys a company gets when being assigned together.

So, in short, I do agree with the heading of this topic, in that "Veterans will understand..."

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by NudeAl:
                          We all have our own beliefs I know what mine are and I won't bore you with them.

This may not fit precisely on this topic but I have to vent.

I just had one of the most horrible experiences of my life which I hope I wonn't have to repeat. I had to go and tell a young wife that her husband and father of her children had been killed in Iraq. Unless you have done this or have received the news you have no idea how gut wrenching and terrible it is. They are going through some tough times and I feel connected even though I never met the family before or the deceased. It's really too much for me to relate here it's just that I know in times like this often religion or faith whatever you want to call it is the only comfort the family can find.

My daughter did a year tour in Iraq as a signal officer. Then when she returned, her boyfriend went over, he is the captain of a helicopter medivac crew.

My daughter was the FRG (family readiness group) officer for her beau's group. Had there been bad news, she would have been the one to deliver it.

Thankfully - she never had to. The only major duty she had to take was to make a string of "don't worry" calls -- a combat Blackhawk helicopter had been shot down, and Fox News ("balanced", yeah, right) put a picture of a medivac chopper on and said "one of these crashed".

All in the group were ordered by my daughter - the little Captain herself -- call or e-mail home IMMEDIATELY.

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by David77:
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Buzzer:

This is a myth that satisfies the theists.

Yup!

Comment

I suspect that those who comment that "it is a myth that there are no athiests in fox holes" have never themselves been in combat during a fire fight. As a vet, I have experiances shots flying over or landing very near me. Under those sustained cercumstances you come to quickly understand that you are only inches away from death. Yes, you have great fear because you have seen others go home in body bags and you don't want to be one of them. Yet, you are there and you have a job to do. So, from where do you draw up the strength to not cower at the bottom of your fox hole and fight? Certainly much comes from those around you who are also engaging the enemy. Your combat training works for you big time. But, still there is that call for self preservation eating at you. That is where faith, I believe, comes into play. Faith that some how, some way things are going to be Okay, even if the worse should happen. It gives inner strength and a peace even though you are scared s*%tless to do what needs to be done. The faith is never in your self but in the expectation that there is a greater strength or force working in you and you can do what needs to be done. The athiest may not call it God but it most certaily is His handy work. Indeed, any combat experianced vet would indeed understand. Sawdust, Viet Nam Vet

Comment

Working...
                              X