• Show
Clear All

• Volunteer suspended over nude calendar

Have a look at http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_853866.html
    Pardon my cynicism!

Have a look at http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_853866.html
    Pardon my cynicism!

Comment

Why is it that so many people think that if someone actually ENJOYS being nude or gets nude for any reason other than sex, bathing or to change into other uncomfortable clothes, then they are immoral? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

This woman posed nude for a calendar to raise money for a charity and gets condemned for it. Does it mean they refused her money? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

This case was in the papers over here - the problem seems to be in this case that:
        (a) the "Caritas" is a catholic organisation which apparently condemns nudity on a "just because" basis,

and (I think) more importantly that

(b) The calender for which the woman posed is a fund raiser for another organisation - which is apparently seen as something like "high treason" on the side of "Caritas" .

No worries, just my thoughts,

G. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

How can a Catholic charity be against nudity?

The Pope himself issued a statement that there is nothing wrong with nudity.

I guess they don't have any faith in their elected officials.

Steve

Comment

Well, it seems like the catholic church isn't such a monolithic organisation as they'd like us to believe...

I know that former head of Caritas in Austria was a member of "Opus Dei" - a "fundamentalist" sect within the catholic church (at least that's what I've been told about "Opus Dei" - I'm not much of a religious person myself...)

So maybe it's just a game of "I'm holier than thou" within the roman catholic church...

No clue,

G. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

"We are not prudish but participating in such a project like the calendar doesn't suit the values of a Catholic organization. We don't want to risk our serious reputation."

When they say their serious reputation, are they talking about the Caritas group alone or are they talking about the Catholic religion, the one that for umpteen years has and still does protect pedofilles, as a whole?

Comment

And for centuries they persecuted anyone who wasn't a Cathoilc.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by G.:
                  [qb]I know that former head of Caritas in Austria was a member of "Opus Dei" - a "fundamentalist" sect within the catholic church (at least that's what I've been told about "Opus Dei" - I'm not much of a religious person myself...)[/qb]
                  Opus Dei is an interesting organization. I wouldn't characterize it as fundamentalist or conservative or liberal so much as radically atavistic. Some describe it as cultlike due to its odd practices (like corporal mortification -self torture), secrecy, extreme control of its members lives, and recruiting practices.

There is quite a bit about Opus Dei online:
                  The Office site for Opus Dei in the US
                  The Unofficial Opus Dei pages - gathers together abundent information about OD, both pro and con
                  Opus Dei Awareness Network a pro-Catholic/anti-Opus Dei group.

Comment

Working...
                  X