X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied use of their temple!

Followers of the God Zeus have been denied the use of the temple to Zeus in Athens by the government of Greece with the strong support of the eastern orthodox christian church.
    So much for being 'christian', in yet another example of not learning what the one called christ was teaching.

quote:
    Originally posted by nacktman:
    Followers of the God Zeus have been denied the use of the temple to Zeus in Athens by the government of Greece with the strong support of the eastern orthodox christian church.
    So much for being 'christian', in yet another example of not learning what the one called christ was teaching.
    ...what reason was given Nacktman...that is not right to deny them the right to their temple...

Comment

Mojo, the "official" reason was the Cultural Ministry was afraid of damage to the temple -- off the record the stated reason was fear of a differing religion (read:Pagan) from the eastern orthodoxy.

Comment

Speaking of temple use ---

In St. Louis Missouri, the Janians (those who go naked during Janian holidays) are permitted by the Hindu congregation to use the Hindu temple in the St. Louis suburbs.

However, the Janian leader told us that in India, the Hindus would never allow Janians to use their temple.

Comment

quote:
          However, the Janian leader told us that in India, the Hindus would never allow Janians to use their temple

I think in India they have their own temples. There are different sects of Jains, some of the priests go nude all the time and remove the hair from their body, while the other sects wear clothes. Look up Jainism in Google for more information.

Comment

Here is a copy of the post I made on 2-20-03 regarding the Digambora Jains and their religion.

"Here is the report which you asked for regarding the lecture I attended at the Ethical Society .... to enlighten the audiance as to what is the Jain religion and it's ethics.

I will first discuss the subject of nudity in that religion. The Janian monks of the Digambora sect own no clothing or anything else except a broom and a water bowl. They walk the country completely naked, sometimes up to 30 miles in a day. They will not ride a vehicle, thus we will never see a Digambora monk in the USA, as he would not ride an airplane. He eats only one meal a day and drinks water one time a day. Dr. Nayak states that the population there takes no special notice of his nudity as they have a different attitude toward the naked person from what they do here in the USA. They will invite him into their house for a meal. He always eats standing up. He speaks only when he is asked to speak. He does not do this walking in the Monsoon season, however. When he becomes a monk, he leaves his family household and becomes a bachelor. The soul is always in journey, so he is doing this for his own souls journey and not for anyone else. He will sleep on a mat filled with hay, and he meditates, reads Janian Scripture and practices detachment and discipline.

There are nuns too, but they are not allowed to appear naked, and this would do nothing for their salvation, as some Digambora believe women are not capable of salvation. I suppose they must wait to be reincarnated as males, possible.

There is one Jain holiday where it is obligatory to remain nude for four days. Dr. Nayak states he realizes that people in the USA think a person is crazy if they are naked in company of others. He states that he has no problem whatever with his being naked in front of others. He states that when he holds a conversation, naked, with someone else naked, he just looks them in the eyes. (Sound like some people's posts here on the bulletin board).

This post is getting long, so if you want to read the rest of my report of this lecture, you may continue reading by going to the web page I just finished at;

http://community.webtv.net/NatureReg...AYAKSLECTUREON

Comment

this has since changed, and happilly services in the Temple of Zeus have happened again. A happy day indeed for Hellenist Pagans everywhere.

Comment

quote:

Christ taught there is God Almighty, one God and the Only God, and Zeus is not Him. Christ never taught tolerance of worship of other gods, he taught there is but one God and only one God.

Comment

Clam you better study a bit more, what you cited was not anything close to what was taught -- what you cited was the imposed dogma of much later oppressors (by two or three centuries later), and predominately those within the Roman governing elite which were and are still used to dominate society.

Comment

I stand correct as I posted. That is why the Jews were the chosen people (Judeasm was not the chosen religion) and that is because they were monotheostic. That is they believed in the one God and only one God.

Comment

Well of course they were the chosen people of their G*d, Clam. And of course those who did not believe in their G*d were not the chosen people.

But therein lies the eternal philosophical question. What happens to the deities who are no longer worshipped? What if Zeus and his followers had won out and Judaism fell by the wayside? What would have happened to the G*d of Judaism (and thereafter the G*d of Christianity and Islam)?

Bob S.

Comment

There was worship of many gods, including a top god, (Zeus, Jupiter, Baal, for example) so the first of the ten commandments states, "thou shall not have any gods BEFORE me" and "before me" means higher than me. It does not mean 'EXCEPT ME", as is so often assumed.

Comment

I have always professed anyone to beleive as they so choose. For one I do beleive in only one God. In my opinion there never was any other God. That is what I hold to be true.

Beleive as you choose. What you believe does not concern me.

Comment

David77;

Your explanation of the first commandment is based on an English translation that may be based on a Latin translation of the original Hebrew.

In the original Hebrew it states that one should not recognize the gods of others in the presense of the one true master of the universe. Since it is clear that the master of the universe is every place, then it is clear then one can't recognize any others at any time.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by Rabid_Clam:
                              quote:

Christ taught there is God Almighty, one God and the Only God, and Zeus is not Him. Christ never taught tolerance of worship of other gods, he taught there is but one God and only one God.

If you believe that this is what Christ taught and you follow his teaching as you see it, you are a menace to all Americans who believe in the values enshrined in the US Constitution and Bill of Rights. If people such as Americans, who have a diversity of beliefs, are to live together, tolerance is an absolute necessity and the alternatives are such things as the barbarity of the Spanish Inquisition and what we see in Iraq today.

Comment

Working...
                              X