X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spirituality

We tend to get slogged down in the 'religious' side of things in a bunch of these discussions, and so I was wondering how many people here emphasize the spiritual side of things. That stuff not necessarily in the Bible; rather a personal relationship with one's own version of a god or God.

For me, nudism plays a role in a very roundabout way. About six years ago, I was going through a health crisis and was very religious Catholic. However, I didn't have a relationship with the outer reaches that I would come to have - I still haven't decided if it is a god or God itself, but it became something. In the shower, I railed against what I was as a religious person (to a tee did I follow the rules, by the way). And it was serendipitous, because I was suddenly having my first conversation with something beyond my immediate grasp.

Since then, I've felt more spiritual when in the nude and if I need to have a talk with the heavens, I tend to be nude. It's why I feel so good on the rare occasion I'm outside and naked. Transcendence from the earthly plane and all that jazz.

Thing is, we tend to get so entranced with what a bunch of guys wrote a couple millenia ago, I was thinking about the intangible relationship nudity and spirituality might have for some of us.

In a nutshell, that's mine.

We tend to get slogged down in the 'religious' side of things in a bunch of these discussions, and so I was wondering how many people here emphasize the spiritual side of things. That stuff not necessarily in the Bible; rather a personal relationship with one's own version of a god or God.

For me, nudism plays a role in a very roundabout way. About six years ago, I was going through a health crisis and was very religious Catholic. However, I didn't have a relationship with the outer reaches that I would come to have - I still haven't decided if it is a god or God itself, but it became something. In the shower, I railed against what I was as a religious person (to a tee did I follow the rules, by the way). And it was serendipitous, because I was suddenly having my first conversation with something beyond my immediate grasp.

Since then, I've felt more spiritual when in the nude and if I need to have a talk with the heavens, I tend to be nude. It's why I feel so good on the rare occasion I'm outside and naked. Transcendence from the earthly plane and all that jazz.

Thing is, we tend to get so entranced with what a bunch of guys wrote a couple millenia ago, I was thinking about the intangible relationship nudity and spirituality might have for some of us.

In a nutshell, that's mine.

Comment

I'm seriously a Christian and much involved in church. Much of what is posted just above fits me too. In a way that's hard to express but entirely real I find myself more connected with God when I'm nude outdoors, whether by myself or with others. It's definitely part of my spiritual life.

Comment

I agree that one would feel a stronger sensory connection to the Whole when one is in their most natural state. Man is the only animal to purposefully erect a sensory barrier (clothing) to the rest of this world. Perhaps there was reason to do so originally when primitive man left equatorial climes and needed protection from the elements; but in doing so, man also cut themselves off from Creation.

Skin is a SENSORY organ; when clothed, skin senses clothing and not much else. When unclothed, skin is free to sense whatever is available to it. Whether or not the entire organ of skin is part of a 'receiver' designed to sense the presence of the Sublime, I'll leave to others more well-versed in metaphysics.

Namaste!

Comment

We tend to think of the body, the mind, and the spirit as if they were separate entities. In truth, they are so interconnected that what happens in one affects the others deeply.

Over the last few years, I have tried to integrate my body, my mind, and my spirit, seemingly without much success. Being naked helps. I am more aware of my body and feel more free in it, and at the same time I spend much less time taking care of my body. And deep meditation is easier in the nude, since breathing is much freer.

As for sensuous awareness, I have found that, when clothed, I am more aware of the bindings on my body: the belt at my waist, the briefs constricting my penis and testicles, the way shirts and sweaters seem to push my shoulders into their own shape. I had nearly lost that awareness before I started practicing nudity more regularly, which means those things affected me much more than I realized, much more than they do now. When naked, my awareness is for more important things: the texture of what I'm sitting on, the earth under my feet, the breeze and sun...

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Jochanaan:
            [qb]When naked, my awareness is for more important things: the texture of what I'm sitting on, the earth under my feet, the breeze and sun... [/qb]
            Watch it -- that sounds almost Pagan. ;>

Comment

I have to agree with Jochanan (spelling off the top of my head here). It is the greater sensitivity that the exposure gives me in comparison to when I have to wear a button-down shirt, tie, belt, etc. One thing I've noticed since I left college. I now have to be more tucked in when clothed to feel comfortable, because my body is now conditioned to how it is to dress on a more semi-dressy way more often. It ruins lounging around clothed, because even then I have to tuck the shirt in to feel comfortable -- it's the sensory feeling of keeping a waistband off my skin, to be exact here. Ugh.

As for nudity helping to unite body, mind, and spirit, I agree that i goes a long way to do that. I tried yoga briefly, till I found myself in debilitating pain rather than sensory elation, and I did that nude. I found though, that when I was doing the breathing and relaxing exercises, I felt more in tune to the rhythm of the world than when I was practicing clothed.

Comment

Also jumping in here.

I feel exactly the same way most of you do. I tried to describe it once to a friend and all I could come up with is that is was like feeling so free from earthly cares that you felt as if you could fly. An incredible rush that I have always felt when nude. I am also better able to appreciate the natural beauty of things that we to often take for granted. The feel of a fresh breeze, the ocean waves, the sun, or the tactile sensation of sand or green grass beneath your feet.

It is impossible to describe or at least beyond my ability. I feel much more connected to the universe when I am nude in nature, as close to a religious experience as I have ever had.

Comment

NudeAl, re: natural beauty appreciation...

I think that this is why it doesn't bother me, as someone who didn't grow up in a nudist envirnoment, if other people are nude around me. I read all over this forum comments such as, "I don't need to see another man naked" or "I don't want to see my parents naked," and I think those people are missing the point.

I'm not nude because I want to be *seen* in the nude by anyone. As a matter of fact, if there weren't the built-in societal weirdnesses about nudity, I wouldn't notice if I were being seen. And I don't think other people should be nude because I *want* to see them nude, I just think it's a healthy practice. All things equal, if my parents somehow find out about my nudist ways and don't particularly care, the being seen part would go out the window. If they thought it was an interesting thing to do and wanted to join in, I wouldn't think twice. Because it's not that I am curious to see what was once verboten. It's more that nudism would be a celebration of the body and just a natural way to be.

Nudism, for me, isn't built on a desire to *see* people in the nude. It's the desire to coexist with clothed and unclothed people without prejudice, and to see the body for what it really is: a beautiful piece of art that is scientifically fantastic as well.

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Vin:
                    quote:
                    [qb]When naked, my awareness is for more important things: the texture of what I'm sitting on, the earth under my feet, the breeze and sun... [/qb]
                    [qb] Watch it -- that sounds almost Pagan. ;> [/qb]
                    Naaaah. Christians can appreciate such things too, as part of the Creator's creation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                      [qb]Naaaah. Christians can appreciate such things too, as part of the Creator's creation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [/qb]
                      LOL! Happy All Saints' Day, by the way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X