Re-Balancing the "Problem" of Nudity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Balancing the "Problem" of Nudity

The trouble with nudity is that it sits squarely in the middle of a problem that most religions have with the unbalanced dichotomy between flesh and spirit. It is theologically obvious that venal "desires of the flesh" are matched by venal "desires of the spirit" and that, on the flip-side, purity of spirit informs and allows appreciation of the wonders of creation and procreation. The rub is that actions, as opposed to thoughts, are easier to regulate. So sacraments and rituals sit in-between as reminders and guideposts, exhorting purity of thought, but punishing improper acts. The result is a skewing of sin toward the "flesh" and of enlightenment toward the "spirit."

Nudists/naturists turn the dichotomy on its head, arguing that we express our purity of spirit in action by being fearlessly enlightened about being together in the flesh. The rub however is similar -- it remains difficult to measure purity of spirit. Apparently, the only way to convince our fellow humans is through a prolonged accumulation of pure words and deeds. But there is no structure, no "confirmation", no bar/bat mitzvah.

Where I am going with this is that this is why I think we need to be open and vocal about our naturist attitudes and views -- particularly in our churches, mosques, synagogues, etc. -- and we need to work systematically to create and support social occasions and "rituals" that allow people to express, practice and be acknowledged for their purity of spirit.

What kind of occasions and rituals? As kids we had recitals, got badges and were publicly acknowledged for memorizing psalms, but I am thinking it has to run the gamut from daily life to special initiatives and events. How about a family ritual of a half-hour of "air-bathing" every morning before school and work? Or an Adam & Eve clothed bible/torah/etc study and prayer group on "desires of the flesh"? Or an inter-faith discussion of Genesis' "Forbidden Fruit"? Or a "pure gender equality" congregation picnic at the beach? Or pick any current ritual and create a mirror purity of spirit ritual? The "church year" in all faiths is filled with scriptures and events that resonate with naturism. The idea is that people can understand that these are occasions (opposite the usual fear and confession of sin) to exercise, reconfirm and document their purity of spirit...

Are nudist their own cult or religious set? Trying to mix entrenched dogmas with nudity many not be that easy. Nudism seem so apart from the rest of the world.

Truth in Spirit has no content nor body.

Last edited by findingcoolwater; 09-22-2014, 05:43 AM.

Comment

(Alas, I only have my iPhone with me at the moment so cannot write a long response.) See Quakers and Adamites for examples of Christian sects that once embraced nudity.

Comment

I wasn't really thinking about cult or dogma or embracing nudity. It was a simpler thought -- that religious people seem to have few ritual occasions to express and demonstrate their inner goodness. One would think that there would be no better group for a naturist to be comfortable, and even nude, than among fellow devout religious people.

Comment

"Where I am going with this is that this is why I think we need to be open and vocal about our naturist attitudes and views -- particularly in our churches, mosques, synagogues, etc. -- and we need to work systematically to create and support social occasions and "rituals" that allow people to express, practice and be acknowledged for their purity of spirit."

I am certainly no expert, but it appears to me that being vocal about naturist attitudes and views in houses of worship is ill-advised and might even be met with both rejection and cynicism. The subject would simply not be apart of religious structure or laws.

I like the "purity of spirit" concept with respect to nudism and I will also add "emotional cleansing" as well, but these concepts and values are best realized elsewhere.

Comment

There are have quite a few members here and on other sites that are open about their nudist lives to the respective places of worship ... without repercussions. I suspect that there have been an equal number of those that have said something and it's had quite a negative effect, as well. I think the vast majority is leery of saying anything about their nude life or nudism, in general, to those at church or other places of worship, for fear that they would be dealt with negatively from the many narrow minded. I would find it difficult to believe that those in the clergy would denounce it, one on one but probably don't want to upset the masses by standing up there on their respective alters and spout that nudity is not evil or bad.

Comment

Working...
            X