Mormon naturists

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormon naturists

Just out of curiousity are there any other Mormon naturists on the board, besides Greensunshine and I? I heard there was, and I am curious to know who they are.

Of course don't get me wrong, I am a very open person and I'll talk, befriend, and love those that are of different faiths or that are even athiests. Still I can't help but be curious if their are more Mormons on this board.

Are there any official positions by the LDS church or some LDS statements of faith or sacred books that specifically forbid social nudity?

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by Trailscout:
      [qb] Are there any official positions by the LDS church or some LDS statements of faith or sacred books that specifically forbid social nudity? [/qb]
      I'm not Mormon, but I came across an LDS Skinnydippers' website at www.ldssdc.info - there's a good chance that it might answer some questions about your church's policy regarding nudity. I hope it helps.

Comment

I'm a Salt Lake Mormon/naturist and will jump in on this one. I joined the church seven years ago and was a closet nudist since my teens but did not realize it until I got Internet access 7 years ago and found similarly minded people.

There are no strict policies about nudity. The Church's General Authorities years ago would all swim naked at the Deseret Gym downtown. It was church-owned and was on the site where the new conference center is located. Boys and men of all ages would go there to swim, exercise, etc. and no one ever said anything about attire.

I think much of the prudish sense of false-modesty is due to misinterpretation of the law of chastity. People I know out here somteimes dress in dark closets out of "modesty". My ex-wife included. Personally, I belive that you can remain modest in any state of dress purely by your actions. By their definition, showering is immodest. By my interpretation, actions that draw attention to certain parts of your anatomy or explicitly sexual would be immodest, certainly not showering, swimming, or hiking, or most other activities naturist enjoy in mixed company.

When I first moved to Utah, I was not LDS. My first impression of some of the college ladies aI met was that they made even the Amish look wild!

I can't speak for Mormons everywhere but I'm basing my perspectives on experiences with Mormons in 4 states in different parts of the country. Non-Utah Mormons are quite different than Utah Mormons, possibly due to the diversity.

There are many here in Utah that will not read newspapers, watch television, or or educate themselves on world events that are not churhc-related. I see this more as ignorance and naivity more than innocence.

Okay, that's my little soap box for the day. I think that's why some Mormons, primarily Utah Mormons, perceive church doctrine.

I'm registered with the LDS Skinny Dippers group and enjoy some of the communications I've received. The information offered is very beneficial and much more fact-oriented than my views here.

Comment

Greetings,

Well I will add my name to list of Fellow LDS member that enjoy naturism as well. I joined the church just over two years but was a nudist before that. I talk about my naturism to another member in my ward and he went to the Bishop about it. It was not for several weeks that the Bishop called me to talk and he brough up about my activity as a nudist. He offered to counsel me to lead away from it but when I asked him if he knew anything about it he admitted he knew nothing so i asked him how can you council me on this issue that you know nothing about. The I offered to provide him with website where he could learn and from there we could discuss he declined to learn therefore I declined his council. What bothered me the most was that he tried to tell me that there are unwritten laws in the church that forbid this type of activity and that if I read between the lines I would understand that nudism was wrong. These statements are wrong to say becasuse a true church would not have such unwritten laws and for reading between the lines that is just a matter of one understanding of the scipture that that understand can change as we learn more and try to see things in a different light. Now please understand this I do not fault the church or any memeber for this one Bishops perspective. I know there are others in my new faith that share the same belief in naturism and there are other Christian who also share the same belief in naturism it is that knowledge that keep me strong at least in that view. Just to note we ahve a new Bishop now and he to knows of my activity fortuntly he was not condemming about it as the previous one which helps in keeping the faith in the church.

Now as for my relation to the church is still on the bumby side. I am not very active not due to my view of naturism but simply due to some personal issues to resolve.

LeoNJ

Comment

Wow,
            I originally had a very pointed commentary here but I decided to remove it since the thread has been so peaceful thus far. Anywho, add me to the Mormon naturist list...I was raised Mormon but have been inactive for about as many years as I was active now at this point...wow that sounds weird. Anyway, I still cherish what I have recieved from the church, it has shaped the way I view myself and my Heavenly Father in the cosmos but I am not into have a bunch of puffed up wannabes in cheap suits tell me how to live my life, like your ignorant bishop. Don't get me wrong, some of the best people I have ever known have been LDS and although I am inactive, I still hold to many of the beliefs of the church and still consider myself a member. The way I see it, I know how to read, that's all I need. Sorry, I think I am getting off topic again. Anyway, Tenchi I am here and I am LDS in a manner of speaking so chat at me if ya want [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share some more stuff bout me since I am a regular on this BB and a convert to the church.

I am a single actually divorced female in her mid 40's who believes it is a greater sin to deny the many blessings that have come about as a result of being a nudist than to have been inactive as long as I have. I too have had several very bad experiences in sharing my view points with my bishops in the past and thus have learned to listen to the spirits on who I should and who I shouldn't tell in the church...which sadly is the vast majority of the members [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I currently am in the process of trying to reactivate myself for the upteenth time in my life...oh, the joys of moving so often and being single...both of which makes it really hard to sometimes get to know anyone other than my neighbors close by [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I have also been very open to my children about my decision to become a nudist...I currently have one daughter who is and the other 3 children who sometimes wish they didn't know I was...especially my sons.

I also tried the organized social nudism thing in the clubs in attempt to meet others only to be burned beyond ones worst nightmares...this is one of the few regrets I have in life...thus to sum things up in a nutshell if I had it to do over again as far as mistakes I have made in life...this is one I would definitely put at the top of my list...I do not swing and unfortunately that is what happens at the majority of the nudist clubs behind closed doors. The other thing that occurs in this places is Rape...something I experienced first hand by more than one person and more often than not the rapest goes free while the victum is even more victumized by others who opt not to listen to the other persons side of the story.

Greensunshine in the Pacific NW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
              A minority in a majority world

PS

My yahoo id is: waorgrnsunshine

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by greensunshine:
                [qb] Hi Everyone,
                I thought I would share some more stuff bout me since I am a regular on this BB and a convert to the church.
                I also tried the organized social nudism thing in the clubs in attempt to meet others only to be burned beyond ones worst nightmares...this is one of the few regrets I have in life...thus to sum things up in a nutshell if I had it to do over again as far as mistakes I have made in life...this is one I would definitely put at the top of my list...I do not swing and unfortunately that is what happens at the majority of the nudist clubs behind closed doors. The other thing that occurs in this places is Rape...something I experienced first hand by more than one person and more often than not the rapest goes free while the victum is even more victumized by others who opt not to listen to the other persons side of the story.
                A minority in a majority world
                PS
                My yahoo id is: waorgrnsunshine [/qb]
                Greensunshine that was a very powerful post. I admire your strength to carry on with all you have suffered! To you and others who here who have had the guts to post something so personal about yourselves, I salute you!
                Have a great day all! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Greetings everyone,

Thanks Ben for your feedback, I am glad to say the new Bishop that we have is not condemming of the activity. He simply asked me if I had confirmed my view through my prayers. He just let me know that he knows and that the only other persons in the ward that know are just the previous Bishop and him. The fellow member that I talked to has since moved out of the ward. So the secret is safe, unless I get dumb and talk to someone else which I will not do again.

On a side note. I am glad to see that this thread has been peacefull. The last time someone posted asking for Mormon Nudist he was meet with harsh sarcasim and ridicule. This board has greatly improved since then and the bad apples that caused trouble are now gone. So on that note lets all pray that peace can continue here and that it will spread throughout the world so that all people will someday enjoy living in peace.

Sorry for straying off topic.

LeoNJ

Comment

Hi,

I'm an inactive Mormon. I posted that earlier on the board & had positive & negative responses. I'm glad to see the responses have been courteous this time around.

Comment

I really enjoy the church very much. I, too, had a bad run-in with a bishop who was not qualified to counsel members. He ruined my marriage as a result. But that's another story.

One of the discussion threads on the LDS Skinndydippers site was about nude baptisms and nude temple ceremonies. Have anyone ever contemplated either a nude baptism or endowments?

I think back about the Bible and wonder if they wore anytning for baptisms in the river.

The other thing I've thought about is nudity at home. If a father is the patriarch whose mission is to protect his family's spirituality and maintain an Eden-like atmosphere at home, clothing would not be needed by family members. Children are innocent by nature and remain that way until influenced by outsiders. Is this analogy way off base? My connection keeps failing and I'm typing very, very slowly and can't get my whole thought out completely due to the late hour and this annoying connection. Can anyone see where I'm heading with this?

Comment

Hello all. I saw this topic and couldn't resist, so I registered and here I am.

I'm also a Mormon, living in the Salt Lake area. I grew up a Mormon, but not in Utah. I also grew up believing that nudity was against my religion, although I couldn't articulate any intelligent reason why.

When I discovered the LDSSDC website, that was all I needed--to learn that there is nothing in my religion that prohibits naturist nudity. I decided to become a naturist. That was over three years ago. Since then I've had a run-in with my bishop. I envy the bishop Leo has now, who was willing to accept Leo's naturism if he had confirmation from the spirit. I've had confirmation from the spirit that my naturist practices are good, but my bishop wouldn't accept that.

In the current social climate (not just among Mormons, but in America generally), that's unfortunately the way it's going to be more often than not. What I find sad is people who have become inactive because of the extremes to which "obeying authority" has gone, unscripturally so in my opinion. At what point do we get to stop being treated like children and think for ourselves?

But that's no reason to reject the gospel. In the Book of Mormon we read of a constant recurring cycle the church and its members went through of going astray, then correcting back to the right path. Why should we expect the modern church to be any different? For the past couple of decades, the church has gone on a real power trip, but that doesn't negate the truthfulness of its core teachings. It's a phase we have to ride out, staying true to our own conscience and promptings of the spirit, no matter what some bishop may try to enforce.

Those of you who are inactive, take heart. It's not necessary to take a black-and-white approach to the church. There are more options than giving in entirely or dropping out entirely. You can be as active as you wish, following the TRUE principles of the gospel as you understand them, and ignoring those that through your intelligence and spiritual communion with God you have determined are the additions of men (will God really reject you if you have two pierced earrings per ear?)

Just don't swallow the myth that church leaders and church history must be near-perfect, or the gospel is not true. Human beings are involved, and lots of mistakes have been and will be made. Lots of whoppers.

The gospel is still true.

Comment

To All Those Who Can Relate,

It is comforting to know I am definitely not alone with some of the negative experiences I have had with our clergy...while I will always know the Gospel is true...it is next to impossible to change hard basic facts regarding the truths of the gospel but not opinions of what is right or wrong [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It can be just as challenging to work with some in positions of power who have a VERY CLOSED mind to some of the simple pleasures in life, such as nudity in a non-sexual way. I also understand to some extent some of their concerns such as the openness of some of the sexual practices "That DO take place in Social Settings" in the clubs and C/O settings... In some ways they definitely are justified with some of their concerns but as an Adult of Consenting AGE, I in all honesty feel that I have just as much responsibility to watch out for my salvation as to what I elect to have done and do with my own body and mind.

In past experiences with several bishops I have experienced the wrath of their so called rights to make decisions for me, that had I instead listened to the spirits without their input, I may have instead remained active during my many years of inactivity [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

***Note, the following statement not only applies to our religion but to all the religions out there that put themselves in the same position as the Mormon Clergy in an attempt to control what we say or do***

Sorry Bishop/Clergy, but as an adult, you do not have the right to make the final decision for me nor do you have the same right to dictate the consequences of what I do with my body or mind as so many people in authority deem themselves judge over our actions or thoughts via the so called doctrine...these responsibilities in reality lie within my own abilities to make and "Use Good Judgement in ALL THINGS" in all things I say and DO" in life [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

In closing, I would like to say it is the basic principles of the Gospel that keep me coming back and not the interpretations of those in control, that influence my decisions not to totally walk away as I have met so many members in the past who have elected to do so just because of the differences they have had with either the doctrine or others in the church...

I joined the church many years ago because I knew it was the right religion for me no matter what or where the many paths in life would take me in my attempts to get to where I knew with the help of my Heavenly Father and the Spirits in the world, I should be...and not where another individual elects to dictate via either written or unwritten laws of any religion.

Many years ago I needed to get an answer to a problem that was in its own way destroying me inside regarding something that had happened to me in the past, and thus I wrote to the General Authorities in attempt to get an answer. It is with the answer I recieved from Elder David B. Haight I learned that the church "Does NOT" have all the answers to all of our problems and questions that we may have in this world, and that many of these, are answers we go in search of, simply are handled on a case by case bases.

A Mormon female nudist to the end.

Comment

It seems that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints DOES NOT have an official position on naturism. I state this for several reasons:
                            - A thorough search of the church web site reveals no relevant reference to the terms "nudist", "nudism", "naturist", or "naturism.
                            - An inquiry sent to the editor of the Ensign magazine [the church's official organ of communication] was answered with a statement to the effect that they don't answer questions of that sort. I am sure that if the question had been about premarital sex, abortion, polygamy, or any other subject about which the church has a clear position or policy, there would have been a definitive answer.
                            - The Ensign sent a copy of my email to the Office of the First Presidency. There was no response. Again, I am convinced that if the question had been about murder, sex, abortion, etc., the Office of the First Presidency would have responded. The fact that they were not concerned enough to respond again tells me that it is not a big issue with them.
                            - I have been unable to find any reference to naturism in any of the priesthood manuals, Church Handbook of Instructions, or any other reference materials to which I have access.
                            - There are several scriptural references to non-sexual nudity, which, except for when "nakedness" is used in reference to a state of poverty, are not indicative of something to be avoided.
                            Note the references in Samuel where he was naked and "among the prophets" [indicating his acceptance into their company]. It is interesting to compare this with the report of Zebedee Coltrin's reference to the nude appearance of the Father and the Son to the School of the Prophets in 1833, and Joseph Smith's description of Moroni having on "no other clothing" than just a robe during his visits. I would like to believe that Moroni hadn't just come from a toga party, but that the robe was a concession to the cultural norms of Joseph's time and his personal level of progression. It was later that the nude appearance of the Father and Son at the School of the Prophets took place, presumably after Joseph and those present had undergone some preparation and development.
                            Note also in Isaiah, where he was commanded to prophesy in the nude for 3 years, and in the New Testament, where Peter was fishing in the nude, and the Saviour Himself stripped down to wash the apostles' feet.
                            Then there are the hints in the Book of Mormon, of the likelihood that the Last Judgement will be held in the nude.

OK, so now I'm off the soap box for a while.

Paul

Comment

I saw a banner at USU years ago that had a rather profound slogan. While it was political in nature, the same would apply for religion. It said, "The only things worse than unanswered questions are unquestioned answers."

Comment

Working...
                              X