X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Card Sharks

My parents were just watching an old episode of the game show Card Sharks (from the 70s or 80s) and a poll came up in which they asked 100 ministers: Is it a sin to take off your clothes at a nudist camp? Of those they asked 68 answered yes to that question. Any thoughts?

My parents were just watching an old episode of the game show Card Sharks (from the 70s or 80s) and a poll came up in which they asked 100 ministers: Is it a sin to take off your clothes at a nudist camp? Of those they asked 68 answered yes to that question. Any thoughts?

Comment

Yes, two thoughts: there were 68 unthinking ministers, or if they DID think, here is what they thought. "Oh my, what will my peers think if I say No..."

IOW, when you poll uninformed people, what you get is a personal opinion unrelated to their profession, no matter what their profession is, and that opinion does not necessarily reflect their profession.

Such a poll should first ask, "As a minister, have you studied whether (any activity in question) is a sin?" If the answer is NO, then it's pointless to even ask the next question.

Comment

i think we have to remember that was in the seventies and early eighties! today they may answer that question differently! thanks missouriboy!!

Comment

My thought is that I'm surprised it was only 68 of them. I consider that relatively 'good news', actually .

Comment

This was probably an informal poll done for the show. Without any stats, such as locations, means of poll taking, rates of refusal, randomness, etc. the poll is useless.

Do not rely on any poll done for a TV game show. They are all done for entertainment purposes and may not reflect the actual answers done in a more scientific poll.

Bob S.

Comment

I thought people would be interested to hear about the poll even though it was unscientific. I thought missouriboy's point about an uninformed opinion was interesting. I would however add that people make decisions based on uninformed opinions all the time.

Comment

You mean they didn't use the word "colony"? I'm surprised that 32 apparently said no. In this day and age of prudery I suspect that the "Yes" answers would be much higher.

Comment

quote:
                  I would however add that people make decisions based on uninformed opinions all the time.
                  YES, they certainly do! So my point was to be aware of when they are doing this. IOW, the scientific point of asking TWO questions would be to break out the answers to the second question as subdivisions of the Yes/No answers to the first question.

To NOT do it this way yields useless results, as Bob S. pointed out.

Comment

Jon-Marc, I think they probably did use the word colony. One could make the distinction that taking off your clothes at a nudist "colony" is a grave sin but taking off your clothes at a nudist "camp" is not.

Comment

Working...
                    X