X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socially nude at the YMCA

Hi everyone, it's Smoothiezach. Just wanted to tell everyone about my nudist experience at the YMCA today. I go in to fill out paperwork for my job and then, go out to my car to get my stuff to go swimming (suit, towel, and goggles). Ok, so I get back into the Y and go to the locker room to change. I'm a little hesitant, so I think to myself, "Why not, what the heck?" So, I go for it and get fully undressed in the locker room. I'm petrified because I remember that I've got no hair "down there" or in my armpits. To my surprise, no one stares, says anything or does anything! I thought, "Man, this is great!" I didn't feel judged at all. When I got done swimming, I decided to shower. I thought, "To heck with it, here goes nothing." So, I got completely nude and walked to the shower with my towel around my shoulders. I hung my towel up on the rack and started to shower. I noticed that I was beginning to become aroused, so I just started thinking about other things and, to my surprise, it went away. I felt relieved. Then, I walked to the sauna for a quick steam and rested on a towel. My heart was racing the whole time and I think that the reason for my semi-arousal was due to the fact that I haven't been nude in a locker room for a long time. Most of the time, I am nude by myself, and so I wasn't used to it. I was reassured to discover that, at least in the locker room, nudity is perfectly normal, accepted and expected. I think that, through time, and more experiences like this one, I will become much more comfortable being nude in the company of others. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience, and I'm beginning to come to terms with the fact that I am on my way to becoming a nudist.

Re: Socially nude at the YMCA

Great story. Thanks for sharing I think my first experience in the locker rooms was quite similar many many years back when I was still in college.

Comment

Smoothiezach, good for you! I understand completely where you are coming from. Keep it up, Bill

Comment

Long, Long ago in a Galaxy not far away, the Y's pool and locker room was naked when used for men only. Back in the days of yore, that's the way I learned to swim. Showers were required after gym too. Also, skinny dipped in the pond on my uncles farm. Todays locker rooms are much more up tight. Pass so many on the way out of the Gym that really need a shower......over all, it seems the younger the smellier. But, back then gym class not only included exercise it also taught general hygiene as well.

Comment

Originally posted by indabuff View Post
          Long, Long ago in a Galaxy not far away, the Y's pool and locker room was naked when used for men only. Back in the days of yore, that's the way I learned to swim.
          You swam in the Y pools naked as I did. No swim trunks were allowed and every male swam nude. To use your words, it was "long, long ago in a galaxy not far away" before the Ys became family Ys with women allowed. I later was a life guard at another YMCA pool - naked. I swam mostly in the downtown (St. Louis) YMCA pool, so I may have swam in the same pool at the same time as you.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothiezach View Post
            Hi everyone, it's Smoothiezach. Just wanted to tell everyone about my nudist experience at the YMCA today. I go in to fill out paperwork for my job and then, go out to my car to get my stuff to go swimming (suit, towel, and goggles). Ok, so I get back into the Y and go to the locker room to change. I'm a little hesitant, so I think to myself, "Why not, what the heck?" So, I go for it and get fully undressed in the locker room. I'm petrified because I remember that I've got no hair "down there" or in my armpits. To my surprise, no one stares, says anything or does anything! I thought, "Man, this is great!" I didn't feel judged at all. When I got done swimming, I decided to shower. I thought, "To heck with it, here goes nothing." So, I got completely nude and walked to the shower with my towel around my shoulders. I hung my towel up on the rack and started to shower. I noticed that I was beginning to become aroused, so I just started thinking about other things and, to my surprise, it went away. I felt relieved. Then, I walked to the sauna for a quick steam and rested on a towel. My heart was racing the whole time and I think that the reason for my semi-arousal was due to the fact that I haven't been nude in a locker room for a long time. Most of the time, I am nude by myself, and so I wasn't used to it. I was reassured to discover that, at least in the locker room, nudity is perfectly normal, accepted and expected. I think that, through time, and more experiences like this one, I will become much more comfortable being nude in the company of others. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience, and I'm beginning to come to terms with the fact that I am on my way to becoming a nudist.

I've never been to an actual YMCA, but I follow the experiences of those who attend closely, as it seems YMCAs today are much different from those 40-50-60 years ago. It seems every time I read an account from the older generations who went to those facilities, most activities, swimming included, were nude because of male only. Now these days it seems nudity is still accepted in the wet areas and locker rooms, but it tends to vary by location and by the person's attitude. The only thing which could seem 'encouraging' is that I seem to be finding fewer accounts of 'towel dances' than I was a year or two ago. I mean, it's a men's LOCKER ROOM, when I enter a facility like that, I accept the fact that I could see a nude man. It's like entering a public restroom, I accept the fact that I could see someone standing at a urinal or that at some point someone else could see me. It's just no big deal, it's a part of life that seems to change with social times...

Comment

Years ago, I went to a Y camp for a week. We would go skinny dipping in the pool and the only way they got us out was by saying the girl scouts were coming over to use the pool, now I probably would stay and try to get them to skinny dip with me!

Comment

15 years a go when I lived in WI, I belonged to a YMCA and they had a separtate men's health center they called it and it was for men 18 and above. It had a few tredmills, stationary bikes, free weights, floor mats, sauna, and a tv lounge area. Some guys including myself used to work-out naked and lounge about in the tv area. It was a great way to spend a day. Never had to bring work-out clothes to wear. The guys who were dressed never cared that some of us were naked. Only way to work-out is naked!

Comment

I can't believe a Y would still be allowing general nude use only 15 years ago even if the facilities were segregated by gender. Would have thought that it would have been killed long before that.

Originally posted by txflight1267 View Post
                  15 years a go when I lived in WI, I belonged to a YMCA and they had a separtate men's health center they called it and it was for men 18 and above. It had a few tredmills, stationary bikes, free weights, floor mats, sauna, and a tv lounge area. Some guys including myself used to work-out naked and lounge about in the tv area. It was a great way to spend a day. Never had to bring work-out clothes to wear. The guys who were dressed never cared that some of us were naked. Only way to work-out is naked!

Comment

Originally posted by Georgia_Nude View Post
                    I've never been to an actual YMCA, but I follow the experiences of those who attend closely, as it seems YMCAs today are much different from those 40-50-60 years ago. It seems every time I read an account from the older generations who went to those facilities, most activities, swimming included, were nude because of male only. Now these days it seems nudity is still accepted in the wet areas and locker rooms...
                    No, "most activities" were not done nude. Basketball, vollyball, gymnastics, tramapline, exercising in a group were done in gym shorts, tennis/gym shoes, and in those day, they thought it necessity to wear a jock strap at these activities, to prevent a hernia.

However it was mandatory that every male be nude at swimming. They were also nude on the indoor tanning bed and also while getting a massage from a male massager. Our downtown YMCA was possibly 10 to 12 stories high, as it was also a resident YMCA. On the top of this tall building were provided many cots for YMCA members to lay nude out in the sun to get a tan. Everyone then who showered, showered nude.

Swimming nude was an old, long time custom in the USA. The USA was a rural society then, so there was plenty of private space for men to take a dip together in the river without any clothing on. Women were not really free to follow this custom. Men were taught, as I was, that it was satisfactory to be nude with males but very morally bad to swim nude with females.

John Quincy Adams, president of the USA, took nude swims in the Patomic River and insisted that his cabnet also swim nude with him there.
                    Last edited by David77; 06-02-2009, 08:27 AM.

Comment

At my Y there are a lot of guys nude. Most people are non-chalant about it.

I have noticed signs that cell phones must be turned off and "inappropriate behavior" will not be tolerated. I found out that some guys are taking pictures of the other guys and/or trying to take advantage of the nudity to have sex. It only takes a few to ruin it for the rest...

Comment

I'm another of those old walruses who was required to change clothes from the skin out before every PE class; required to shower nude after every PE class; and required to swim nude in high school PE and at the Y.

What strikes me as most illustrating the difference between generational experiences comes at the very beginning of this thread. The originator of the thread reports a happy experience of "social nudity" because he was nude in the locker room. I'm glad for his brave step forward; this is in no manner a put-down. But the striking thing for me is that I would NEVER apply the phrase "social nudity" to the locker room. To me, having come from my background, that's just the locker room. Period. It has no significance beyond that. Naturally men are nude while changing and showering. How else would you be?

And, yes, I admit it. This does show my age!

Comment

I am confused and agree with the previous post.

Being nude in a locker room is not social nudity in my book. It's called getting dressed and undressed for a swim and/or shower.

Comment

I think it is different for different cultures. Where I grew up in South Asia, even the YMCA/GYM did not tolerate nudity in locker rooms (same sex). Hence, if someone did get nude, he would be heckled into getting back dressed.

So this is a big step for those who have never been nude outside their own private bedroom/bathroom.

But those like you guys who grew up in an open environment would feel differently. I think that is the beauty of this world that we live in where different cultures and societies perceive nudity differently.

Comment

I think it is positive that the Y's members around the country for the most part remain open about nudity in the locker room. I take a few hours a week at the local YMCA as a lifeguard mainly to maintain the membership. I've also considered making it a career move.

I have seen 3 or 4 YMCA's during my time as a competitive swimmer. The strangest one was the one in Lafayette Indiana. They have separate locker rooms separated by age. I'm not exactly sure what their intentions behind this were. 99% of the time, children under the age of 15 (I believe that's what the age cutoff was) are accompanied by parents who can immediately address questions and behaviors of their children.

Comment

Working...
                              X