X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudist apartment complexes

I do know that there are nudist clubs, beaches, and resorts, but haven't heard of any full time nudist living environments in America. I was thinking about, at some time in the future, combining efforts with other nudists to invest in apartment complexes that allow nudism. Of course they would require walls enclosing the perimeter to avoid offending anti-nudists. I'm thinking that this will promote nudism across the country. Especially if it's the first nudist living environment in the country, it's likely to get media attention. There are so many people who have no idea that people enjoy themselves in their natural state. I anticipate that this will promote nudism across the country, and in turn, make it a better place to live. From there, if successful, more similar complexes can be built, which may expand nudism into entire cities. If success continues further, stores and schools can be built, granting people more freedom. What do you think?

Re: Nudist apartment complexes

Sounds like you're speaking about an American version of Cap D'Gade (sp?). I couldn't
    tell you where I read it, but a few years ago I read about nudist/naturist apartment
    complexes. they have been around, although I also read that some of them closed up
    because of dwindeling occupancy. Still it could be a good investmt venture,as well
    as profitable. You still may want to go over this thread:
    http://www.clothesfreeforum.com/show...-a-Nudist-Club
    just to make sure you've considered everything that would be involved in living nude year
    'round. As yourself, I'd like to live nude, but I'd want to have a wfe/life partner
    with me there.

Comment

There are actually quite a few nudists who live in nudist communities. Many nudist campgrounds/resorts/clubs have members who live on the grounds full time. Usually not in 'apartments' or condos, but in "park models" - which are small luxury prefab cottages or 'trailers'. In many cases although these people are living full-time it is not officially because of various state rules that govern campgrounds etc. - so they maintain official addresses off site, perhaps at a relative's home or even a post office box.

There are also a few nudist trailer parks (manufactured home villages?) around the nation (mainly in the south). There have been a few attempts at nudist apartment complexes in urban areas, but every attempt I have heard of has failed.

Comment

I was thinking of starting one in Illinois near Mount Sterling. There's alot of isolated country area, and because of the bad economy, the area is turning into a ghost town. I see this as an opportunity to start a nudist community. I will do some research as to what I can do to get people jobs so that they can live in the area. The object is to establish an affordable community where nudists can be themselves full time (aside from going outside the community) in a friendly and social environment. It's hard to explain the intricate details of the environment, so I'll just make a 3D model of it. The model will also double up as a guide for if I am able to get the loan.

If I can get into contact with nudists who are struggling with the economy, that is having difficulty finding jobs, or living in poverty, I may be able to rally their support as volunteers. Problem with poverty is that people are struggling to help themselves, but if they band together and help eachother, they can be alot more successful. The idea here is to reward those who help make this a reality by giving them partial ownership of the complex. If this strategy proves effective, the complex can expand across the country and help more people. Basically doing the president's job for him.

One idea to minimize construction costs is to get a place with as many bedrooms as possible and look for unemployed construction workers who are homeless or on the verge of being homeless, then offer them free room and board in exchange for doing the construction. Of course I would still have to get the loan for the land and materials, but it would be alot cheaper that way, which in turn, would help make the new complex's rent more affordable.

As I continue to design this model, one question pops up. How does the mail system work in a nudist dwelling? There might be issues if the mailman/woman is offended by nudity.
        Last edited by Barnard; 12-28-2011, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnard View Post
          [FONT=Courier As I continue to design this model, one question pops up. How does the mail system work in a nudist dwelling? There might be issues if the mailman/woman is offended by nudity.[/FONT]
          One way is to have mulitiple mail boxes in the front of the complex or in a main lobby area. That way, the mailman/woman could deliver the mail and not having to worry about seeing 'naked people' when they drop off the mail. Here, where I live, we have such a system. There are several houses in the area, but the mail boxes are centrally located. Everyone has the use of the multi-box, but each have their own key for their particular box. It works out here just fine. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Comment

Good luck, Barnard. I dream of such a place! my concern, however, is that it is kinda like an airplane; it won't fly until it is built and that takes MONEY.

Comment

Full time residential living is somewhat commonplace at many nudist resorts in the U.S. Of course Pasco County, Florida is the home to the most notable communities where nudists live 12 months a year in everything from modest mobile homes to luxurious single family dwellings in excess of 4,000 sq.ft. Sprinkled around the rest of the contiguous lower 48 are a number of nudist communities, mostly in suburban or rural areas where conservative political objections are low. However your description of "nudist apartment" brings to mind a Los Angeles area residential nudist complex that received a lot of notoriety and publicity back in the 1980s.

Woodside was a modest post-WW-II rectangular block apartment building off the Pasadena Freeway tucked inconspicuously into the hillside just below the Southwest museum. Prior to its incarnation as a nudist apartment complex, the owner was having all sorts of problems filling the aging property as it was located in what is euphamistically known as a zone of transition, but afterward Woodside nudist apartments got an enormous new lease on life based largely as an extension on the mythical sun-n-fun Southern California lifestyle.

The media grabbed the story and ran with it. The modest little apartment building, actually located inland a few miles south of where the wholesome, decidedly non-nudist Tournament Roses Parade is held annually, was depicted as a seaside-adjacent hedonistic mecca or an upscale dwelling located somewhere in the opulent Hollywood Hills. I recall an article in a men's magazine showing a swimming pool with Playmate-level models sunning themselves au-natural as the hill containing the Hollywood sign beckoned a short distance away. All this can be forgiven in the enthusiasm of poetic license, but what reaction must the management of KABC Los Angeles have had when they sent a full Eye on L.A. team- including former anchor Paul Moyer- to interview the Woodside nudist residents and apartment managers Rick and Claudia?

Ah- there is so much more to the story of the first nudist apartment complex in L.A.

Comment

Thank you Wcstflyer for your post. I saw that channel 7 report but could not remember the details.
                I would be interested in knowing why they discontinued being a clothing optional apartment. I can only assume that with a high tenant turn over rate and buildings continuously being bought and sold by corporations instead of individuals, that it would be hard to maintain a clothing optional policy.

Comment

In the late 70's Terry Parker converted an apartment complex in Austin, Texas; the Canyon Villa Apartments, to a clothing optional comples. In 1977 he opened the Manor Villa also. If he is still around you might try to contact him and find out what his experiences were.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P. View Post
                    Thank you Wcstflyer for your post. ... I would be interested in knowing why they discontinued being a clothing optional apartment.
                    Me too. The story would probably be informative to anyone considering joining in such an effort.

And from Adler, I'd like to know more about the Austin locations as I'm a Texan - but a loooong way from Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P. View Post
                      Thank you Wcstflyer for your post. I saw that channel 7 report but could not remember the details.
                      I would be interested in knowing why they discontinued being a clothing optional apartment. I can only assume that with a high tenant turn over rate and buildings continuously being bought and sold by corporations instead of individuals, that it would be hard to maintain a clothing optional policy.

That was a very long time ago but I recall there was a change in property ownership and with that change Woodside became textile again. Back then, the owner of this nudist apartment building was not an enormous real estate company like the IAC Irvine Corporation here in Orange County with multiple large apartment communities. Rather it was a guy from the San Fernando Valley who thought of a novel way to fill his investment property with stable, reliably paying tenants. And for a period of time it worked.

Beyond that most of what I can say is highly subjective. Woodside was filled with an eclectic tenant base but the gender ratio was wildly disproportional male-to-female. The couple who managed the complex were quite nice and had a somewhat unique marriage- he was thin and gay while she at least looked like she subsisted on a diet of at least 5,000 calories a day. Claudia was so obsessed with her weight that a good portion of the ABC-7 Eye on L.A.interview with Paul Moyer consisted of her telling him that she was a non-nudist with major body-image problems. About that time the impatient ABC crew began groaning that this great ratings sweeps month "nudist apartment" idea was becoming an unmitigated disaster; in fact a few were about ready to drive over to World Modeling on Van Nuys Blvd. to get some of Jim South's adult video babes to come over and pose around the pool to make the place more consistent with most peoples fantasies of what nudist apartment life offered.

Some weekend parties at Woodside were actually festive and fun. One of the tenants was the producer of a scientific television mini-series who used his apartment as a weekend retreat and rendezvous. More importantly however, he also brought over young females that most of us twenty-somethings had only imagined within the pages of Penthouse or Playboy. Yes David had a suave and sophisticated British flair about him; he casually tossed-off that had attended both Indiana and Oxford Universities on two continents, though I suspected he must have spent many classes at the Bear Pub adjacent to Oxford U. learning the secrets of the female mind. A culmination of sorts came one evening during a pool-side party when David popped in a VHS tape of the television series he had just completed, and with a luscious "executive assistant" by his side we watched an episode of Cosmos, this segment on the Voyager spacecraft finally discovering life in outer space. While the soundtrack played the haunting french horn solo at the finale of Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, astronomer Carl Sagan solemnly intoned "eons from now the Voyager spacecraft, their tiny nuclear hearts having died out long ago..."

Suddenly David's executive blonde girlfriend starts crying, crying tears of passion how wonderful and talented he was, crying over an anthropomorphic spacecraft on TV! It was one of the more confusing lessons in the ways of women a young lad in his twenties witnessed during his brief time of nudist apartment living at Woodside.

Comment

Thanks for the story; it was most interesting to read an account by someone who has really lived at such a place.

Comment

Just posted photos of the apartment in the artistic expressions forum. I'm calling it, Paradise Valley.

Comment

Working...
                          X