Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What attracted you to nudism / naturism?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What attracted you to nudism / naturism?

I am doing a bit of research stimulated by an article I read in The Naturist Society's "N" magazine, Spring 2012 entitled "Early Social Nudity in Belgium" in which the author discusses the nudist movement in Belgium contrasted to Germany, France, and the US. The author argues that cultural conditioning affects acceptance and/or involvement in nudism / naturism and is reflected in the emphasis placed on nudity in those countries. There are some discussion on this website that touch on this issue; but to be specific: as an American, what attractes you to nudism / naturism? Why are you involved in it?

Re: What attracted you to nudism / naturism?

About the time I got interested in it, back in the 70s, I think, one of the biggest holdbacks was what the Bible says about it. I also discovered "N" (then, Clothed with the Sun) magazine when I joined organization that publishes it. In it, some articles were started about nudity and religion. It convinced me that it wasn't wrong. I practiced nudity inside our fenced back yard and with a non-landed group based in NW NJ and on trips to Europe.

Comment

RalphVA. There is a good Nudity and Religion Forum on this website that discussed the religious / theological aspect of nudity / naturism. In your case it sounds like what attracts you is body acceptance, in your case perhaps body self-acceptance. This is an attraction for me also as I suspect it may be for many people.

Comment

I've been "attracted" to nudism for as long as I can remember. As a teenager in the 70's, my friends and I would hang out nude around my pool and backyard. I think the attraction for me is that I am much more relaxed and comfortable when I am nude. It seems that being nude is the more normal state for me.

Comment

In answer to your question,i am not attracted to it.as far as the writing on cultural acceptance or conditioning,i donot agree.clothes free enjoyment is natural,it is the people wearing clothes that are based on cultural conditioning,an social acceptance. To put clothes free people in a group based on not prone to clotheing is difficult . I have mentioned this before . When i was young the only conditioning was clothes,jobs education etc. . It is the lack of thease requirements that allows individuals to experience freedom to be clothes free. This is the attraction .,,not to groupies,or ists,,or issisms .i like to hang out with those of like feelings ,it is normal for humans to desire social contact ,,this makes it more fun an enhanses the experience . Nakenone

Comment

I have always been attracted to nudism. As a kid growing up in a non-nudist household, I practiced it every chance I had when everyone else was away. This happened to me throught out my school years. While in the service, I practiced it everytime I was in my room by myself and an occaisional skinny dip with the guys. I didn't become a nudist unlil later in life, after 21 years of marriage. Now I am able to practice home nudity mostly every day, but only cover when around non-nudists with a wrap around. I feel more relaxed without the constraints of clothing.

Comment

what led me to nudism is the fact that I just like being naked. I feel more comfortable that way and I look for every oppertunity to practice nudism. If I could be naked all day every day, that would be fine by me.

Comment

i found i was more comfortable within myself when i am clothesfree, in water, walking in the woods why should i pay a company for clothes i hate wearing and for them to make millions i only wear clothes because when i have to.

Comment

Two things: I always hated being in constricting clothing especially while sleeping.
                  The comfort that sand wasn't trapped in a swimsuit having grown up in a Beachfront community and on a block with a canal in which we swam. The first time I wore a 2-piece swimsuit, I loved the feel of water on me. The first time I skinny-dipped was in a pool in FL at night for about 5 mintues.

My first time experience:
                  I was vacationing at a resort in the Caribbean. The first two days were spent on the beach sitting in a soggy swimsuit and being chafed by sand. I signed up for a day boat trip and picnic at a beach on an island away from the resort. As we were leaving, I discovered that the excursion was to an island with a nude beach! I decided to go any way, thinking no way was anybody getting me out of my suit. I stood firm and, in fact, was the last person to give in and shed my swimsuit - I was the last one to get dressed to return to the resort. Why hadn't someone told me about this sooner? I was hooked, and that was over 40 years ago. The phrase, "nude when possible, clothed when practical," definitely describes me. I do wear at least shoes when vacuuming the house though as I have a habit of running over my toes with the vacuum cleaner.

Comment

I think the wrong question is being asked. The question should not be "What attracted you to naturism/nudism?" It should be "What made you decide to try naturism/nudism?"

I think most people understand the appeal of being out in the sun, swimming, or engaging in other activities nude. The advantages of not having to deal with a soggy swimsuit full of sand, or shorts and a t-shirt drenched with sweat is obvious. The problem is overcoming the taboo of being nude in front of others. There are several aspects of this, including the fear of being seen nude, the fear of offending others, and the fear of being ostracized or prosecuted.

For me, the breakthrough came when I went to a beach where nudists were present. I had assumed that nudist venues function under the quid pro quo of "You show me yours, and I'll show you mine." What I saw that day was a group of people who were enjoying being nude on a beach and not caring who saw them. I was with a coed group that day. I kept my swimsuit on because I didn't know how the girls in our group would react, but I resolved to go to a nude beach on my own at the next available opportunity. I've been going to nude beaches and resorts whenever the opportunity avails itself ever since.

Comment

It would be difficult to answer, for me, personally. At the time, age 14, I imagine that being naked had a sexual context but ... that wasn't always the case. I would take every advantage to stay home alone and be naked, doing my chores, cooking, doing the laundry and watching TV, even getting some sun. I did this for a few years until I graduated and enlisted in the Navy. When I was onboard my ship, I met a guy that asked me if I were a nudist cuz he noticed I slept naked and always walked from the head/showers to the berthing compartment naked. I'd heard of "colonies" but really didn't know anything about them or the lifestyle. He and his family were nudists and he actually educated me on the lifestyle and places to go.

At that time ... my wife was a "weekend" nudist. She liked when I came home for the weekend and we didn't wear clothes unless we left the apartment. As time passed ... she began sleeping naked even when I wasn't home on liberty or leave. When I was discharged ... that was it for wearing clothes at home for her. My situation is different than some of those that joined this lifestyle later in life. We weren't raised in nudist homes. We just loved living naked at home and then outside in our backyard when we finally moved into a house and out of apartments. We were 22 at the time and what the heck do 20 year olds know anyway! My wife did say that I always seem a bit tense and irritable until I was naked. I think she found that it truly relieved her stress and tension after work and she just enjoyed not wearing clothes, like me. There are those that decided to give nudism/naturism a try and they would have better answers than we could give you.

Good luck with your research.

Comment

As an adolescent I discovered how much I just loved the feeling of being naked, especially for swimming. Thinking I might be a bit weird in my belief until one day I saw a nudist magazine somewhere. Wow, it's not just me, but it's actually organized. From that point I was committed to it.

Comment

Excellent question, I wish I had a concise answer. My journey to nudism has been weird to say the least. I have performed a complete 360 from my younger years and do not recall any situation to explain it.

When I was young and had a babysitter watching after me I would not take my socks off because I did not want the babysitter to see my bare feet. Later on in years I wanted to wear long sleeves even in the summer as I did not want anyone to see my skinny arms. I guess my intrest in nudity began in my pre-teens as like others I would always get naked when I had the house to myself. After I obtained my drivers license I would drive to a local gravel pit and swim while wearing a bathing suit and if there was not anyone around I would remove the suit and remain naked until I got out of the water.

I always enjoyed my naked time and informed my girlfriend (now my wife) of my nudist inclinations which she led me to believe she would join me in the lifestyle. Unfortunately after the wedding she did a complete 360 and wanted nothing to do with it. I do take nude vacations every year (alone) but for the most part they are very boring since I have no one to share the experience with.

Sorry about the lenghty reply but thought my path to nudism was strange and thought I would put it out there to see if anyone has had a more unusual journey.

Comment

I wanted to get involved in the nude lifestyle and this site seamed like a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy View Post
                              I have performed a complete 360 from my younger years and do not recall any situation to explain it.

Unfortunately after the wedding she did a complete 360 and wanted nothing to do with it. I do take nude vacations every year (alone) but for the most part they are very boring since I have no one to share the experience with.
                              I think you mean "complete 180"... If you do a "complete 360," you are back where you started...

Comment

Working...
                              X