Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What attracted you to nudism / naturism?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What attracted you to nudism / naturism?

You are absolutely correct NBD. Believe me I do not want to return to where I started. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Hey Adler, I agree this is a great question. For me, I was attracted to naturism fairly early in life as a young teen. I used to skinny dip in the pool out back when I thought I could get away with it by jumping in and removing my suit and putting it on only when I got out of the pool. I also used to go for nature walks out in a large orange grove a few doors down the street and got bold enough to leave my clothes behind and take off for up to an hour free from worry. The freedom I got being one with nature in a natural state always left me refreshed and seemed to melt any stress that being a young teenage boy in the '70s could posed.

Flash forward to '04 when life was not moving as I would like I was thinking about those innocent days when I could strip off not only my clothing, by the stress of the day so I decided I would try to recreate that magic feeling. I went to a public clothing optional park in Austin, TX (Hippee Hollow) and spent a few hours nude among the crowd and rediscovered how liberating it was to strip off and feel the warm sun melting stress away. I also started going to nude resorts and ran some nude 5K races and realized I was meant to live a nude life. All of these adventures convinced that being nude both in private and with others was a liberating way to remove stress from a hectic life.

So the short answer to your question is that being nude brings me closer to both my personal, spiritual and physical self and helps me become one with the natural world I prefer to surround myself with. It also brings me closer to the ones I share my private life with, especially my lovely wife.

Comment

When I was in high school in the 50's all boys were exposed to nudity in our phys ed. classes as our high school had an indoor swimming pool. During phys ed classes we combined with another class so that all the boys were together and girls were together. While the girls were in the gym the boys were in the pool. Boys were required to swim naked (for some reason the girls wore suits) and showers were mandatory before and after swimming and also after gym classes. These classes went on for the four years of high school and it seemed to be the norm at that time. At that time the war had not ended long ago and most men were comfortable with being naked around other men in the barracks etc. This same practice of men swimming naked carried on into my university years. I certainly did not come from a nudist family, in fact I don't think I ever saw either of my parents naked although Dad was in the war and must have been exposed to it there or while he was going through high school.

After graduation my naked times were over except for in bed. I became a teacher and living in a small Northern Ontario town I knew that nudity was not accepted in public. I married another teacher who was not into the nude scene but certainly didn't mind my nudity at bedtime. After retiring and moving to British Columbia, we one day stumbled on a small beach where the ten or fifteen people on it were naked. We joined in and became converts after that and have spent countless holidays at nude resorts and thoroughly enjoy it.

I don't think my wife is truly into the nude scene but because I love it goes along with me (God bless her!!)

Comment

Thank you to all who have responded to my question of what attracted you to nudism / naturism. I thougt that I would give you some feedback. Of the responses received to date, reduction of stress is the number one reason followed by just feeling more comfortable being naked. The feeling of being naked and the feeling of freedom follow a close third. If you haven't yet responded, please chime in with what attracted you and share your thoughts.
          Last edited by Adler; 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
            Thank you to all who have responded to my question of what attracted you to nudism / naturism. I thougt that I would give you some feedback. Of the responses received to date, reduction of stress is the number one reason followed by just feeling more comfortable being naked. The feeling of being naked and the feeling of freedom follow a close third. If you haven't yet responded, please chime in with what attracted you and share your thoughts.
            I have to agree with your feedback 100%, those are the reasons I go naked and I can also add that I see nothing wrong with the unclothed form.

Comment

Perhaps it started with the nude PE swims in high school and enjoying the feeling of freedom, I know in college (art major) the life drawing classes also seemed very natural to me, and then when an opportunity for outdoor naturism surfaced , I was sold and have been enjoying it ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by FireProf View Post
                It would be difficult to answer, for me, personally. At the time, age 14, I imagine that being naked had a sexual context but ... that wasn't always the case. I would take every advantage to stay home alone and be naked, doing my chores, cooking, doing the laundry and watching TV, even getting some sun. I did this for a few years until I graduated and enlisted in the Navy. When I was onboard my ship, I met a guy that asked me if I were a nudist cuz he noticed I slept naked and always walked from the head/showers to the berthing compartment naked. I'd heard of "colonies" but really didn't know anything about them or the lifestyle. He and his family were nudists and he actually educated me on the lifestyle and places to go.

At that time ... my wife was a "weekend" nudist. She liked when I came home for the weekend and we didn't wear clothes unless we left the apartment. As time passed ... she began sleeping naked even when I wasn't home on liberty or leave. When I was discharged ... that was it for wearing clothes at home for her. My situation is different than some of those that joined this lifestyle later in life. We weren't raised in nudist homes. We just loved living naked at home and then outside in our backyard when we finally moved into a house and out of apartments. We were 22 at the time and what the heck do 20 year olds know anyway! My wife did say that I always seem a bit tense and irritable until I was naked. I think she found that it truly relieved her stress and tension after work and she just enjoyed not wearing clothes, like me. There are those that decided to give nudism/naturism a try and they would have better answers than we could give you.

Good luck with your research.

Nice story! I wish I would have started when I was first married. Instead I raised a family with screwed up traditional values. Now I am at home loving any nude time I can spend! I have to admit my family is wonderful, but still have some old time views.
                A few of them knowing how I feel now but not able to understand my feelings.

Comment

For me, if it can be termed nudism, it was the enjoyment and benefits of having a sauna (transforming winters), and then later on, the comfort of swimming nude. I would some up my approach to clothes free recreation as similar to many Germans.

Comment

What attracted me? I think growing up in the 70's with the streaking fad piqued my interest... then, one camping trip to the CO River with my dad, my brother and I caught him sunning nude. We were shocked and asked him what he was doing. He simply said "tanning" and that we could too... so we did! I don't think we got dressed for the entire week! Then, when I got my first car I drove the coast... anywhere there's a cluster of cars along the road, it's either nudists or surfers! It took another 15 years before I explored social nudism. No turning back now!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheri View Post

Two things: I always hated being in constricting clothing especially while sleeping.
                      The comfort that sand wasn't trapped in a swimsuit having grown up in a Beachfront community and on a block with a canal in which we swam. The first time I wore a 2-piece swimsuit, I loved the feel of water on me. The first time I skinny-dipped was in a pool in FL at night for about 5 mintues.

My first time experience:
                      I was vacationing at a resort in the Caribbean. The first two days were spent on the beach sitting in a soggy swimsuit and being chafed by sand. I signed up for a day boat trip and picnic at a beach on an island away from the resort. As we were leaving, I discovered that the excursion was to an island with a nude beach! I decided to go any way, thinking no way was anybody getting me out of my suit. I stood firm and, in fact, was the last person to give in and shed my swimsuit - I was the last one to get dressed to return to the resort. Why hadn't someone told me about this sooner? I was hooked, and that was over 40 years ago. The phrase, "nude when possible, clothed when practical," definitely describes me. I do wear at least shoes when vacuuming the house though as I have a habit of running over my toes with the vacuum cleaner.
                      I like your reply Cheryl if I may say so. I too was attracted to nudism for pretty much the same reason. My first visit to a nudist club/resort was in 1990 just to gather information from the front office. At that time, it was called Treehouse Fun Ranch in Devore,C.A. As I was coming out of the office and walking to my car, I came upon about 15 or 20 nudists who asked me "where are you going?" I said "To my car. I'm on my way home. I just came to inquire and gather some information and literature." They then asked me "You mean you're not going to hang around and enjoy the fun and relaxation?" My reply was "I would if I were a member here." I couldn't believe how open and friendly they were as well as open and inviting to a practical stranger,particularly a single male. As you may know, single males are literally taboo at many nudist clubs and venues.

The next visit was an all day visit to a Silver Valley Sun Club which was located in Newberry Springs,C.A. I called and talked to them over the phone during the previous week before coming up. I was met with literal open arms and hugs! This club too catered to single males and singles in general. What I find attracting to the nudist/naturist lifestyle is the openness of the people as well as the feeling of freedom of being restricted by clothes or a bathing suits or in my case, swimming trunks. I made still another visit to a club called Glen Eden Sun Club in Corona,C.A. That was in the summer of 1992. However, they did kind of suggest to possibly find a female companion to come with in the future. They do accept singles, but they really try to cater towards and families more. Anyway, once again they were very open and welcoming for the most part. Another thing that attracted me was the fact that they emphasized body acceptance, not by your social or socioeconomic status. Furthermore, they don't judge you by your body shape or size. For a fairly overweight guy, that made feel all the more welcome and relaxed. Oh! I know this is irrelevant, but this club has a quota on how many singles they can accept,both male and female. Nevertheless, it is the feeling of being accepted for what you are and the openness of the people that really attracted me to this lifestyle. I myself also sleep clothesfree as both pajamas and underclothes became a nuisance to sleep in, as an adult that is! When possible, I also do my housework chores in the nude as well.

Ken Palmer

Comment

Working...
                      X