Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Appropriate clothing?

Gloria

Maybe it's time to audit your "friends" list!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Croydon View Post
      ... I had to give him the attire talk. His work clothes were too business casual and our office isn't a business casual place. Considering he would accompany to store visits, vendor meetings, he had to put some more care into his clothes. I offered to go shopping with him to get some suits and that we did.
      This practice amount to a form of "fashion bullying" or fashion intimidation and I really think any organization that REQUIRES an employee to wear a suit coat should provide them, or build them into the employee's compensation package with a store account and the ability to make payroll deductions (if desired).

It is often the case the employee simply cannot afford the expense of a mid to high end tailored jacket, but saying anything about this to the employer (even during an interview process) can be interpreted as a sign of weakness. I have been in this position on one or two jobs and muddled through somehow, but I know I felt intimidated by the whole 'You will need some suits' corporate philosophy.

Employees should be judged by their intelligence, productivity and the quality of their work. I am thankful for a continuing rise in culturally inclusive work attire options because although these may be further towards the far end of the style scale, they do register on people's attitudes and have an altering effect on workplace standards.

~

Comment

Originally posted by jayne View Post
        ... I'm not doing anything bad or wrong in the pictures, i just feel that people may thing they're inappropriate. In particular spread leg photos annoy me most. i'm not doing anything wrong, my legs just happen to be open and my labia are showing ...
        Jayne, I think this issue will eventually solve itself as more and more people adopt an understanding attitude towards nudity and the practice(s) of sharing imagery online. Right now it is a little tricky because far fewer people are accepting, tolerant and understanding, but a favorable shift is happening gradually.

I mean right now people have to concern themselves about attending the Burning Man event, World Naked Bike Rides (WNBR), regional Naturist gatherings, clothing-optional beaches and more than a few international locations, at any of these they may be photographed and have pictures published online. For nudity to become accepted, it must be seen.

We must do it, we must document it, and sooner or later we must share it somehow. The adult sites can be contacted and you may have to formally request the removal of an image yourself, but I think the majority of sites now will comply (especially if they do not have a signed model's release form on file). The only problem is the "private" members only sites requiring a paid membership in order to see the images; there are so many of them it is impractical for any person to cover them all.

If a person is still nervous about a portion of their body being seen while they are nude, I suggest they are not "there" yet when it comes to social nudism. I struggle with this as a guy because I deeply want to be nude 24/7, but it is just not practical in many settings yet. If it were possible I would be nude around family, friends and co-workers right NOW, not in five or seven years; but just as cellphones are replacing landlines, I feel as if no/revealing/skimpy attires are replacing more conservative styles of dress everywhere. Of course practices are VERY cultural and opinion-derived enforcement is still the norm (i.e. people cannot simply wear the "legal minimum" amount of clothing in many settings -- such as a Bikini to traffic court, grocery shopping or the Dentist's office).

To believe: "Judge a book (person) by its content, not by its cover."

As a society when some feel the NEED to dictate a Bikini bottom must cover two-thirds (2/3 rds) of a person's buttocks or a skirt must not rise more than two inches above the knee, I feel people just love to meddle and dictate "standards" to others.

I hope you achieve a real level of comfort with your image being possibly seen by close relatives, friends and your online family without the fear they will ever judge you less because of what is showing! I think we are slowly, slowly undoing the culture of body shame that (apparently) extends back to the Garden of Eden for some, and further back to our cave-dwelling ancestors. As a species I think we are *mostly* ready to accept more nudism, and the number of people striving for it just keeps growing.

~
        Last edited by Centauri4; 04-15-2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Centauri4 View Post
          This practice amount to a form of "fashion bullying" or fashion intimidation and I really think any organization that REQUIRES an employee to wear a suit coat should provide them, or build them into the employee's compensation package with a store account and the ability to make payroll deductions (if desired).

It is often the case the employee simply cannot afford the expense of a mid to high end tailored jacket, but saying anything about this to the employer (even during an interview process) can be interpreted as a sign of weakness. I have been in this position on one or two jobs and muddled through somehow, but I know I felt intimidated by the whole 'You will need some suits' corporate philosophy.

Employees should be judged by their intelligence, productivity and the quality of their work. I am thankful for a continuing rise in culturally inclusive work attire options because although these may be further towards the far end of the style scale, they do register on people's attitudes and have an altering effect on workplace standards.

~
          I agree to some extent. I do not think the policy is fashion bullying. The company I work for is not an easy company to get yourself into. The process is quite tiring and expectations are high to be hired. That being said, anyone who walks into the doors of the office know immediately the dress code. One doesn't necessarily have to spend a lot of money to look your best but a bit of care and thought is important.

I agree with the idea that if a company wants employees to look a certain way, they should build them in the compensation package (i.e. clothing allowance). I know some companies do that. In fact, a relative of mine is in the same line of work as I for another luxury retailer and they offer employees $1,200 monthly clothing allowance. That being said, my company offers us big discounts to purchase in the store. I myself do not believe in spending a lot of money on clothes. I only shop at Zara for my work clothes, which is relatively appropriate pricing

I do not find the company's policy to be anything out of the ordinary. If your role requires you to represent the company in some way: vendor meetings, store visits, meetings with executives, you must look the part to represent the company and yourself well. Your work does most of the talking but initial impression says more about you and people take cues on forming an impression of you based on your attire.

Comment

When not having to wear work clothes (suit & tie), I go by the rule of 3; shorts, shirt and flip flops. Nothing more. I hate how long it takes to get naked after work. When I'm on my own time, I love to be able to kick off my flip flops, drop the shorts and doff the shirt...naked in seconds. When camping, I usually wear nothing but a pair of Speedo jammers, which almost feel like being nude. I don't care about "decency" since that's an arbitrary standard usually dictated by religious people, for whom I have no time or interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Evernude View Post
              When not having to wear work clothes (suit & tie), I go by the rule of 3; shorts, shirt and flip flops. Nothing more. I hate how long it takes to get naked after work. When I'm on my own time, I love to be able to kick off my flip flops, drop the shorts and doff the shirt...naked in seconds. When camping, I usually wear nothing but a pair of Speedo jammers, which almost feel like being nude. I don't care about "decency" since that's an arbitrary standard usually dictated by religious people, for whom I have no time or interest.
              This kind of clothing is appropriate really, and nothing indecent about it. Weather permitting, I try to follow the same, although I wear sandals, not flip-flops. Although flip-flops are skimpier, they are somewhat uncomfortable for walking, flipping and flopping too much. I wear tank tops in hot weather and if possible go shirtless. As there is no nude beach here, I wear a small speedo.

Comment

I basically wear whatever makes me feel good. In the summer, I'll also wear shorts and t-shirts. I don't mind if I'm wearing long pants or shorts since I go commando all the time. My shorts are always slack to enable air to circulate, thus I consider myself to be as close to naked as possible. When working, it's Levi's and, once again, commando. Simply put on whatever you want.

Comment

That approach seems quite rational to me. Good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by newton View Post
                    That approach seems quite rational to me. Good for you.
                    What about you?

Comment

Working...
                    X