Men's Health Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Health Day

Don't forget Monday, June 11th is Men's Health Day.

Be healthy, get healthy and stay healthy!

I'll be 43 in August.
    I've been more diligent about regular checkups since hitting 40. (under penalty of earlier death at the hands of my wife).

This is a great topic, nacktman.
    Check your family history, guys.
    Just because you might not feel something is wrong is no excuse to get checked out; especially if your in your late thirties-early forties.
    The "John Wayne"esque BS fear about the prostate check is not only juvenile but an irresponsible way to treat your family.

Get checked.Be healthy!
    Stay nude longer

my 2 cents

Comment

Tampanude - QUOTE
      prostate check
      I am 64. Some years ago I read that eating dried tomatoes was good for helping to prevent prostate cancer& other prostate problems. I have been eating them most office days for lunch with a salad and salmon or Mackeral (fish that have Omega 3).

So far so good.

JAMES

Comment

I have a checkup every year. Got a female doc. Her finger is smaller to do that ole finger test. She also checks my balls.

I've been through having an enlarged prostate, having it biopsied for cancer. Now on Proscar, which has shrunk it some to make life with it bearable. Also take Cardura, which relaxes the muscles at the outlet of the bladder to allow one to pee better. Still, can't hold it in. Doc says to go when I gotta go. Held it in once recently and suffered through repeated dribbles before releasing enough to allow the prostate to relax and let me pee normally.

Also have had sciatica pain from ostearthritis. Do exercises every morning to keep those bone spurs at bay.

Had frozen shoulder a year ago due to osteoarthritis from having dislocated it and ripping away the rotator cuff many years ago. Now, I bowl left handed and do shoulder exercises (along with those back exercises) every morning to keep the shoulder mobile. My high game left handed is now 205 vs. 232 right.

Have had both stirrup bones in my ears replaced with prostheses. Right one was done in 1985. Left one was done about 6 weeks ago. Both very successful. I'd be almost deaf without these operations.

Comment

preventative check ups are important. if found early a lot of things can be slowed or stopped. in our case when i retired after one year i lost all medical benefits. tried unsuccessfully for state and federal aid. they said my pension (little over one thousand a month) was too much. our regular doctor at the time sort of ditched us with no help. i have a blood disorder where my body produces too much volume with the clot factor also too high, if i don't have blood drained often clots form and they could cause me to hemmorage,stroke,or massive h/a. that bill is already in the thousands. the treatment center is good enough to let me pay what i can. my wife has an eye disease that recently acted up again. i pray each day nothing serious more turns up. these are inherited as many problems are. thanks for the post and getting this off my shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by nudenwv:
            ... in our case when i retired after one year i lost all medical benefits. tried unsuccessfully for state and federal aid. they said my pension (little over one thousand a month) was too much. our regular doctor at the time sort of ditched us with no help. ...i pray each day nothing serious more turns up.
            It continues to amaze me that the US federal government can find untold millions to finance the Iraq occupation, but can't find the money to have a national health care system to take care of its own people.

Nudenwv, I hope your medical problems don't get any worse. Good luck to you.

As for me, I stopped smoking 9 years ago after a 23 year pack-a-day addiction. That same year I started going to a gym to work out 3+ times a week, and I'm now in much better condition than I was in my 20s.

We only get one chance to live in the bodies we're given...

Comment

thanks journeyman! congrats on your changing lifestyle for the better!!

Comment

I have enough different medical problems that I have to go in for checkups several times a year.

Barely made it much past the age of 16, so the fact that I am alive and kicking at 46 is kind of amazing.

Comment

MJ_KC,

And might I add you look good for your age!

Comment

Originally posted by pek1:
                    MJ_KC,

And might I add you look good for your age!
                    Thanks. My doctors are amazed and pleased that they have been successful at keeping me going for so long.

My cancer doctor seems kind of pleased to see someone who has survived for 30 years and is doing good enough to go hiking and bicycle riding. I just hope he is successful at keeping me healthy for a lot longer.

It does get to be a pain going in for check-ups so often, but I know people who don't do this and they have had major problems that should have been diagnosed and treated years before they were found. The key to continued health is early treatment of any problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X