Working out with a cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working out with a cold.

Recently, the "experts" said that you can still work out even when you have a cold. They claim that it will make you feel better faster. The last time I did it, I got sicker than ever. My simple cold turned into a nasty sinus infection and coughing that lasted for weeks. Never again.

Recently, the "experts" said that you can still work out even when you have a cold. They claim that it will make you feel better faster. The last time I did it, I got sicker than ever. My simple cold turned into a nasty sinus infection and coughing that lasted for weeks. Never again.

Comment

I voted No. Don't have the energy. Guess it all depends on the kind of workout?

For instance, I wouldn't go swimming -- a long hot bath would be best.

Living in HI the majority of the year helps a great deal because of the warm climate, however, the body does need its rest. Simple old-fashioned remedies Grandma used work for me.

So...
      fight the first signs off with a hot bowl of chicken soup, lots of orange juice & water (or a hot toddy), and get lots of sleep!!

My colds often turned into bronchitis, pleurissy, or pnemonia -- so I say NEVER AGAIN too!

Comment

I kind of agree if I am working out by myself. But do not think it would be fair to work out in a group to pass on my cold to others.

Comment

I read Runner's World mag for several years while I was in the habit of running most days.

The guidance is that it's OK to work out when the cold is from the neck up. When you're sick from the neck down, a day off is best.

Like cold remedies, I imagine there are as many opinions on this one as there are people. Do what works for you, everyone's mileage varies.

Comment

I dont get a cold very often - maybe once every two to three years but when I get one its a dandy and it really lays me out. For about a week its enough to just get out of bed let alone going to gym to exercise. Even if I did go to do workout it would be a poor effort and I would be just wasting my time and energy.

More important it would be not fair to other members of gym to share my cold with them.

Comment

I continue to do my workouts, even when I have a cold. I have a good one right now, thanks to my daughter bringing it home from school. I even ran my regular two miles in less than 24 hours after having a colonoscopy. Having that done teaches one to have no modesty whatsoever!

Comment

Posted by toadfish327:
                quote:
                I even ran my regular two miles in less than 24 hours after having a colonoscopy.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought you already had the 'runs' while preparing for a colonoscopy.

I voted no, don't have the energy. It would depend on how sick I am. If laid up, then I'll take some time away from a workout.

Usually when I call in sick, I already have
                other plans scheduled. Oops, now I'm caught.

Comment

I voted yes, as I mainly run for my work out and always outside, in rain, snow, sleet, and sometimes we even get sunshine . As long as I am not running a fever I will run at least 4milse and do about 20 chin ups just to stay in shape so I can crawl up in attics and underneath the customers house so I can rewire them. Being the slimmest one at work I always get to do the tightest crawls, maybe some day I will get to old to crawl, nah what fun would an easy job be.

HairyHomer

Comment

I have had acold and went and did my work out and felt much better. I also think baking in the sauna also help too. Have to fight back, drink lots of water and oj.

Comment

I try to "workout" regardless of a cold, be it in the gym or garden (or at my buddy's butcher shop - if you think you've ever had a workout, come spend the day hefting sides of beef and carving on them ... then you'll know what a workout really is [and I thought I knew from over twenty years of football - I learned different!]).

However, the two times in my life I had the flu working out was out of the question. It would not have been a pretty sight - and we'll leave it at that.

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by nacktman:
                        ...if you think you've ever had a workout, come spend the day hefting sides of beef and carving on them ... then you'll know what a workout really is [and I thought I knew from over twenty years of football - I learned different!]).

So...if I were a high school football coach, I'd have my players work in a butcher shop all summer. Heft it, hack it, eat it. They would be huge!!!

I must say that not working out is very frustrating. I just got started again after a bad cold, and it feels good to get back into it. So far, so good.

Comment

why workout in a gym and expose everyone there to your cold?

Comment

If your cold is just a runny nose or your symptoms are just above the neck it is OK to continue exercising. However, you may need to slow down a little. But, if you are having more serious symptoms like a fever or cough or muscle achiness, the below the neck symptoms, then take the day off.

Run On!

Comment

i still believe that getting outside in the fresh air is some of the best medicine.

Comment

Working...
                              X