No announcement yet.

Working out with a cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I replied no, I don't believe in punishing myself. What I might do is go to the gym and sit in the sauna for a while as it helps with congestion. But if I'm really sick, I stay home and pity myself...

Comment

I vote yes! In my experience anyway.

As long as your body is used to activity as part of a regimine, and not under fever conditions as stated earlier and not in close proximity to others.

The sluggish feeling is your body already working hard to combat the intrusion but as long as you fuel up with fluids and nutritional foods high in vitamins, (not pills) your body will work hard to eliminate the cold through adrenaline and sweat.
      It is also very important to allow enough down time afterward to allow your body to process it all.

Comment

As long as it's just a cold, and not a fever or flu I find exercise beneficial, it usually clears up my breathing and makes me feel better.

-Mark

Comment

Awhile ago, I read somewhere, that one should start a workout when they had a cold.
          Then, after a few minutes, determine how they were feeling-if not worse, carry on.
          If worse, of course, cease the workout immediately.

Comment

When and if I get a cold, I tend to stay home because I am mostly resting in bed attempting to regain my energy. But another reason is I don't want to possibly infect others nearby who also are working out. Just my point of view.

Ken Palmer

quote:
            Originally posted by Evernude:
            Recently, the "experts" said that you can still work out even when you have a cold. They claim that it will make you feel better faster. The last time I did it, I got sicker than ever. My simple cold turned into a nasty sinus infection and coughing that lasted for weeks. Never again.

Comment

It depends on the cold. Not if it drops to your chest. When I was young I could ignore colds. Now I wait about three days after catching a cold, more if it turns to bronchitis. Aerobic exercises seem to help while keeping warm. It seems to help clear my head and lungs.

Comment

Since this note is about colds, I'm going to offer a plug. There's a product on the market now called Zicam. It's a nasal gel designed to kill the virus that causes the cold. It works great. I started showing cold symptoms Friday morning and immediately bought this at the local CVS, by Saturday evening the symptoms were gone. Now I'll state right here and now, the sooner you use this after you start to feel like you are getting a cold, the better it works. If you already have a full blown cold, it's not going to be anywhere near as effective, but it will still help some.

Give it a shot.

Rich

Comment

Colds and flu are all bacterial/virus infections and cannot be caught from environmental cold.
                  When you are ill your body resistance is low but physical activity can aid healing providing the body is fit enough to take the strain.
                  I always exercise off illness unless I am really too poorly to get out of bed.
                  Can you see the Dr appointment?
                  [DR] "hello sir can I help you?"
                  [ME] "I have this cold"
                  [DR] "Does it affect your activity?"
                  [ME] "I feel a little breathless after my one hour yoga, one hour run and half an hour swim which is my daily routine"
                  [DR] "next!"
                  Have just completed a naturist hike and a climb with a wheezy chest and to date I lived through the night and feel invigorated! Does headstand!!!

Comment

The only advice I have had from a doctor about this is to cut back some, but do not stop. Just don't go to the point where you feel fatigued, because your body has enough to deal with already.

Comment

If it's 'just' a cold and I don't have an achy body, I'll continue to run and swim. Usually a good swim workout kicks the cold quickly.
                      I thought there was a study awhile back that said that elevating your body temperature (caused naturally be excersizing) would kill of some of the germs that cause colds. They have a very limited temperatue range that they can live in, so if you do a hard workout it can kill of the germs. I do follow this rule, and have very few colds, and have only got the flu once in the past 10 years (knock on wood)

Comment

i think its best to sweat a cold out by doing cardio, works for me

Comment

Re: Working out with a cold.

It's not a good idea to train with chesty colds, but raising the body temperature either in a sauna or a workout will help kill a cold virus. it works for me. Oh, and I always train nude -at home anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X