Farm Kid at Marine Boot Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farm Kid at Marine Boot Camp

FARM KID (NOW AT San Diego MARINE CORPS RECRUIT TRAINING)

Dear Ma and Pa,

I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine
    Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick
    before all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you got to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m.
    But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do
    before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water. Breakfast is
    strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of
    weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on 'route marches,' which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A
    'route march' is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like
    the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for
    shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake ... I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6' and 130 pounds and he's 6'8' and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get
    onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter, Alice

Funny stuff and even funnier with:
    Your loving daughter, Alice

Comment

Pretty Funny usmc1...especially the punch line.

My wife and I were regulars at the nude beach at San Onofre State Park just north of Camp Pendleton in S. Ca. from about 1986 to about 1999. We would be there every weekend and we always sat in the same area with the same group of 5 or 6 couples and a single guy who was a Marine Gunnery Sergent....whom we called "Gunny", of course.

One day a group of 5 young guys...probably no older than 19 at the most...walked to the edge of the nudist beach area, took off all their clothes and continued walking down the onto the nude beach area.

All of them were so pale, pasty, fish-belly glowing white that they almost hurt your eyes. Most Californians have at least some sort of tan so these guys looked like they were right off a mid-western farm...and they had haircuts buzzed down to almost nothing.

When they walked by our group Gunny yelled: "Teufel Hunden!"

All 5 kids stopped, turned toward us, snapped to attention and yelled "Yes Sir".....of course they didn't know who, or what rank, was addressing them.

I could just imagine the thoughts going through their heads.

Gunny yelled: "Put on suntan lotion...you're about to damage government property!"

The kids yelled "Yes Sir"....put on suntan lotion they had with them in their clothes and continued on down the beach.

Southern California is a place where everyone has the greatest respect for our troops...but everyone on the beach in those days knew and liked Gunny and those who heard the exchange got a laugh out of it.

BTW...Gunny was single, as I've mentioned, but, with the husbands permission, he asked all the women in our group if any of them would like to go to the Marine Corp ball at Camp Pendleton with him. Three of them, all married and all good looking, took him up on it and, of course, wore ball gowns.

Gunny was the only one with 3 dates and he was a star.

Comment

So, usmc1, are you the proud parent of grandparent? Following in your footsteps.

Comment

Originally posted by alfredr View Post
          So, usmc1, are you the proud parent of grandparent? Following in your footsteps.
          My old man was army, I straightened that mess out, and my son was a Marine helicopter jock, and grandson is being groomed for the Naval Academy. His mother, a nice enough person, but..., thinks it is the Air Force Academy, but we're getting this lad into NavCad for a distinguished career as a Marine, and then Congress.

Comment

That's funny from a girl

When my sisters and I were in our teens, my father would let us wear our bikini's to help him work around the property. As the boys came by, they would stop and pick up a shovel to help us. (it never dawned on us girls why my father would allow us to wear them, but not on the beach).

We figured it out when one day he had us moving railroad ties, we were picking them up putting them into place. They boys could not lift them as easily as we did, so they left. He lost "extra" help for the rest of the summer and after that we had to wear 1 piece suits to work with him.

Comment

Teufel Hunden

great stories, keep em coming. i had to look up Teufel Hunden, we have no military background in our family....

Comment

I meant "parent or grandparent" of "loving daughter Alice."

Comment

Working...
                X