In which State do the Simpsons live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which State do the Simpsons live?

We discuss some pretty weighty questions at CFF but few keep me pondering like this one.

I'm watching The Simpsons last night during which the Simpsons go to Brazil to find Lisa's lost sponsored child. When they find him, Lisa asks him why he did not write to her and he says because she states her address as "Springfield, U.S.A." but does not give her home State. Lisa responds to the effect that he's right but there are enough clues in the show to figure it out.

As one of those who also ponder this question frequently, let me put it to you at CFF:
    "In what State is Springfield, of The Simpsons show, located?"

Given the incredibly varied geography of Springfield -- snow-capped mountains, arid deserts, etc., and the fact that is next to the ocean -- suggest to me that Spring field is most likely in Oregon, or perhaps northern California, or southern Washington.

What do you think?

We discuss some pretty weighty questions at CFF but few keep me pondering like this one.

I'm watching The Simpsons last night during which the Simpsons go to Brazil to find Lisa's lost sponsored child. When they find him, Lisa asks him why he did not write to her and he says because she states her address as "Springfield, U.S.A." but does not give her home State. Lisa responds to the effect that he's right but there are enough clues in the show to figure it out.

As one of those who also ponder this question frequently, let me put it to you at CFF:
    "In what State is Springfield, of The Simpsons show, located?"

Given the incredibly varied geography of Springfield -- snow-capped mountains, arid deserts, etc., and the fact that is next to the ocean -- suggest to me that Spring field is most likely in Oregon, or perhaps northern California, or southern Washington.

What do you think?

Comment

I don't watch the show. Is Springfield supposed to be a real place?

There are 25 Springfields in the US. The only one in a west coast state is in Oregon. It's on I-5, so the location is inland. Oregon does have snow capped mountains and deserts.

Comment

I'm glad to see there are several web sites devoted to this important issue, e.g.

http://www.snpp.com/guides/springfield.list.html

http://www.peak.sfu.ca/the-peak/2001...ringfield.html

http://www.peterbe.com/plog/ask-yahoo

http://www.funtrivia.com/ask.cfm?act...ils&qnid=65162

There seems to be a strong concensus for Oregon -- which I would have to agree with.

Comment

Here is a well written article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons

Comment

Simpsons debuted 17 December 1989

Simpsons Movie 27 July 2007

18 years to make a movie

Comment

Springfield's State (The Simpsons)

This Wikipedia page gives info on the Simpsons' home state, the name of which has never been mentioned on a Simpsons episode. This article speculates that it may be named "North Tacoma."

Comment

i am extremely sure it takes place in oregon,
                for one he lived in portland so there answers your question. Simple.

Comment

The Simpson's "Springfield" is deliberately in no known state - or any state. But there is a lot of Oregon in the imaginary location.

TV creators enjoy inserting local references from their lives, and often - as in the Simpson's case they will deliberately play with the fans.

During the first seasons of "That 70s Show" I had fun picking out the many details that placed the location of "Point Place, Wisconsin" as Toledo, Ohio. Which I couldn't miss since I was a teenager during the 70s in the Point Place section of Toledo (Best place, any place, Point Place ). Co-creator and writer for the series was Toledo native Bonnie Turner, who had set her two other series Third Rock from the Sun and Normal, Ohio in the Buckeye State. Not sure why That 70s Show was officially placed in Wisconsin, but it is clearly Toledo.

-Mark

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Naturist Mark:
                    The Simpson's "Springfield" is deliberately in no known state - or any state. But there is a lot of Oregon in the imaginary location.

-Mark

I can recall one Simpsons' episode where he's listening to a pro football game on his Walkman while he's in church on a Sunday morning.

That would imply a west coast state - where the early Sunday afternoon games of the NFL show up on radio and TV at 10 am.

Comment

I've never paid any attention to the Simpsons, but I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut their telephone exchange number is 555. That's because they live in Springfield, TV, where the exchange number is the same as in Los Angeles, TV and Miami, TV and Las Vegas, TV and New York, TV and...

Comment

missouriboy, 555 is a common telephone exchange number used in and reserved for any work of art and/or fiction including books, films, television shows, songs, and so on. For example - in a short film I did two years ago, the phone number of a fake Chinese restaurant was 555-1219.

There is a reason for this, and I think it's very obvious. They're trying to protect real individuals and/or businesses from getting numerous phone calls from people who saw the show. In fact, no real person or business will ever have a 555 exchange.

Comment

HUH?? Is there anybody who doesn't know that? I just used it as a metaphor to explain why the State where they live is abbreviated as "TV" -- duh

Comment

Wherever it is there is a lot of snow.

Comment

I should think it is obvious to anyone that Springfield, with it's brilliant people and astute politicians, really is in the basement of the Capitol Building in D.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X