are you smart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you smart?

I heard this riddle on the radio a few weeks ago. I promise you will be stumped for hours.
    do you think you have the brains for this?

Took me under fifteen seconds to come up with my answer. Was I right? I won't tell. Good luck all.

Comment

Well it depends - logically it would be the middle one, because you'd have switches for 1st 2nd and 3rd, but it could be the right one because they could be for ground, 1st and 2nd. Alternately it could just be a trick and it's the left one, for some unfathomable reason.
      Of course, if you were really there it would be easy to deduct - you'd first find which turned on the lights on the 1st floor where you are, so you know it isn't that - then try another one, check the 2nd floor, and if it's on you've got it, if not, it's the other.

Comment

took the poll. i chose the one on the right.

Comment

Blobby, your "real" world approach is excellent, however, in this case you could be over-analyzing things a bit. Am I right?

b.l.

Comment

Hmmmm, I guess I'm missing something, but I don't think there is enough data given here to logically to choose which switch is the correct one.

Shouldn't this be a "how" riddle rather than a "which" riddle?

The way the question is posed just does not give enough information. One of three light switches controls the light on the second floor. Which one is it? Okay, which one? There are no other legs for a syllogism. We need more information about the qualities of the switches to solve the riddle as it is posed.

I think something is missing.

I do know how one could logically determine which switch controls the second floor lights were one in this situation.

You switch on the first switch, wait ten minutes then switch it off. Then you switch on the second switch and go upstairs.

If the light is on, the second switch is the correct one.

If the light is off and the bulb is hot, it's the first switch.

If the light is off and the bulb is cold, it's the last switch.

Comment

If I am on the first floor why would I care if a light is out on the second floor?

Is my room on the second floor? If so, I would just call the front desk and let them know there is a light out.

Need more information than what the poll gives
              for this one. Maybe I am too simple-minded for this "riddle", but don't see any need to mess with any switches.....lol

Now if it is a word play which switch is the right switch? The switch on the right, eh?

Sher

Comment

Its the right, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonShadow:
                  If I am on the first floor why would I care if a light is out on the second floor?

Is my room on the second floor? If so, I would just call the front desk and let them know there is a light out.

Need more information than what the poll gives
                  for this one. Maybe I am too simple-minded for this "riddle", but don't see any need to mess with any switches.....lol

Now if it is a word play which switch is the right switch? The switch on the right, eh?

Sher
                  Yeah maybe, the right switch is the one on the right, but, if one is a hand-walker from the circus troupe staying in the hotel then the one on your left would be to her right.

Or one could easily assert their are two right switches each being to the right of the one on the left, or vice versa.

But, then the problem would cease being a riddle, it becomes a trick question.

Comment

Originally posted by pioneer:

Question:
                    You are in a hotel. On the 2nd floor is a light(off). On the 1st(where you are) are 3 light switches 1 of witch will turn on the light on the 2nd floor.

You may mess with the switches all you want but you may only go to the 2nd floor to check the light once.

so which switch is the right switch?
                    Aside from the grammatical ambiguity, the right switch is just what it is, the right switch.

The riddle allows for all switches to be 'messed with all you want' so I would naturally move all three switches to the opposite position. If by chance the switches are on the same circuit (standard series-parallel home configuration), then by virtue of there being an odd number of switches in the circuit, moving all three from one state to the other will cause the light to turn on. Equally, by switching only one switch (also an odd number) - any switch - the light will also turn on.

Comment

There is only one question. It has nothing to do with most of the information given.

It would have been a lot easier if they had asked: "Which switch is the left switch?"

-Mark

Comment

Aw, Mark now you have done and gone spoiled it for the rest of them.

Anyway, if you can see in the dark why bother with light switches.

Oh, and pioneer that equation should read 1 target + 1 sniper = Mission Accomplished, or as we snipers say " Don't run, you will only die tired!".

Comment

I realise that that 1 target + 1 sniper = 2 bad isn't right but i like it better

Comment

I got it as well. After realizing not enough info was given, I just went straight for the question.

But how about a new one:

There are three boxes. One has only short sleeve shirts, one has only long sleeve shirts, and the third has a mix of both. All three boxes are labeled wrong. How can you relabel the boxes correctly by reaching into one box only and pulling out one shirt?

Bob S.

Comment

right = correct as well as location, regardless of other info.

Just like "say you a you a busdriver,,,,,first stop, 8 get on three get off, next stop 2 on, 1 gets off etc.....what's the bus drivers name?"

or...... plane crashes on the border of Mexico and the U.S..............Which country do you bury the survivors? et al..

Love those logic questions

Comment

Working...
                              X