No announcement yet.

are you smart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are three boxes. One has only short sleeve shirts, one has only long sleeve shirts, and the third has a mix of both. All three boxes are labeled wrong. How can you relabel the boxes correctly by reaching into one box only and pulling out one shirt?
    Pulling out a shirt won't relabel a box - you'll need a marker.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob S.:
      I got it as well. After realizing not enough info was given, I just went straight for the question.

But how about a new one:

There are three boxes. One has only short sleeve shirts, one has only long sleeve shirts, and the third has a mix of both. All three boxes are labeled wrong. How can you relabel the boxes correctly by reaching into one box only and pulling out one shirt? Bob S.
      The boxes are all labeled wrong so the box of short sleeve shirts has to be labeled "long" or "mixed." Likewise the box of long sleeve shirts must be labeled "short" or "mixed," and the mixed sleeve shirts has to be labeled "long" or "short."

Reach into the box labeled "mixed" and take out a shirt. You know it contains either all short or all long sleeves because it is labeled wrong.

If it is a long sleeve shirt in a box labeled "mixed" then it must be the box of short sleeved shirts because it can't be the box of mixed shirts. In this case the box labeled "short" contains the long sleeves and the box labeled "long" contains mixed shirts.

If reach into the box labeled "mixed" and you get a long sleeve shirt then the box labeled "short" has mixes sleeves and the box labeled "long" has short sleves.

Blessings

Bob

Comment

I would like people to continue posting trick, logic etc. puzzels here just to keep this thread going. plz

Comment

I didn't mark any poll choices either, after taking 15-20 seconds to devise a solution. Then I read the comments, and find I agree with Temet Nosce and usmc1.

My solution:
          1. Work each switch until you prove which is the first floor, but leave each in its original state.
          2. Then throw a second switch and leave it thrown while you go upstairs to check.
          3. If the light is on, Bingo! If not, then the answer is the one remaining switch.

But, this doesn't tell me where that correct switch resides on the switch panel, so I made no poll choice.

Comment

Here is a similar riddle where the clues DO allow one to deduce the correct answer; no tricks:

A man lives on the 11th floor of an apartment building.
            Each morning, he rides the elevator down from 11 to Ground, to go to work.
            Each evening, he rides from Ground back up, to go home.
            Most days, he rides all the way up to 11. But...
            Some days, he must exit at floor 7 and climb stairs the rest of the way to 11.

Why?

Comment

Here is a similar riddle where the clues DO allow one to deduce the correct answer; no tricks:

A man lives on the 11th floor of an apartment building.
              Each morning, he rides the elevator down from 11 to Ground, to go to work.
              Each evening, he rides from Ground back up, to go home.
              Most days, he rides all the way up to 11. But...
              Some days, he must exit at floor 7 and climb stairs the rest of the way to 11.

Why?
              He's not tall enough to reach the button for the 11th floor so he can only go there if someone else pushes it for him. He probably could reach it if he always carried his umbrella everyday.

Dave

Comment

Yup, he was a midget. Hey, did you already hear this one?

Comment

Originally posted by missouriboy:
                  I didn't mark any poll choices either, after taking 15-20 seconds to devise a solution. Then I read the comments, and find I agree with Temet Nosce and usmc1.

My solution:
                  1. Work each switch until you prove which is the first floor, but leave each in its original state.
                  2. Then throw a second switch and leave it thrown while you go upstairs to check.
                  3. If the light is on, Bingo! If not, then the answer is the one remaining switch.

But, this doesn't tell me where that correct switch resides on the switch panel, so I made no poll choice.
                  The original riddle did not say that one of the other two switches went to the first floor, and, it also did not say that only one switch would turn on the 2nd floor light.

Pioneer - we need a sign. Just give us a sign!

Comment

Sry but Im not exactly sure what you mean by a sign.

Comment

Working...
                    X